The Pointing Thread

Hunter chase at Warwick yesterday went to the Tom Ellis (pro outfit) trained Latenightpass (now down to 16s for the renamed Cheltenham Foxhunters) at 40-1.
Tomorrow Nicholls goes pot hunting with Sametegal at Wincanton making use of the relaxed new temporary rule of 14 days from rules to Pointing. I have a bit of interest in a horse called Porlock Bay as I recommended the owner send the horse to Will Biddick when he decided to move the horse back from France. The horse duly trotted up at Kimble on his Pointing debut this season and the owners target was always the Foxhunters. He’s highly thought of and should cope with the ground having slogged round a few French bogs in his time. I’ve stuck him in a RF with the fav.

Thanks! Really pleased with that run especially on that awful ground. I also did a 1,2,3 any order. I took 33s last night for the Foxhunters and I am pretty happy. Hopefully he comes out of the race OK. I spoke to Will Biddick after his Kimble win (just to remind him he owes me a drink for getting the horse sent to him!) and he did say he’s quite fragile but very talented.
Pleased when something goes to plan! Roll on the Festival!
Oh and Will Biddick and his wife, top showjumper Harriet Nuttall, became parents yesterday for the first time when Harriet gave birth to a little boy.

I have a bit of interest in a horse called Porlock Bay as I recommended the owner send the horse to Will Biddick when he decided to move the horse back from France. The horse duly trotted up at Kimble on his Pointing debut this season and the owners target was always the Foxhunters. He’s highly thought of and should cope with the ground having slogged round a few French bogs in his time. I’ve stuck him in a RF with the fav.

Well done to jinnyj who had this at 33/1 ante post.

Thanks DG.
Just getting my voice back after some extremely unladylike screaming at the telly box! The dogs fled in terror behind the sofa...:lol:
But I really can’t believe a plan came off so well. When the owner rang me (I am first point of contact on Wessex Pointing website) for recommendations for a trainer, initially he was thinking of Rose Loxton. At the time Rose’s cancer had returned so she declined the horse. So I suggested Will and put them in touch. Although he has only pretty recently set up training, he’s been the best Pointing jockey (and champion) for years. He literally is the AP of the Pointing world!
The owner, John Studd, bred the horse as well and it’s been his lifelong dream just to have a runner at the festival. To actually achieve that...with a home bred...that actually goes and wins is more than the stuff of dreams.
I spoke to Will after he won at Kimble and he told me this was probably the best horse he had ridden Pointing so I knew then I had to back it for the Foxhunters. And after sending him a congratulatory text yesterday, he was humble enough to reply “Thanks so much. It all happened because of you. It’s not really sunk in yet.” How nice is that!

Indeed I am. Am going to ring the owner tomorrow and see if he wants to do an interview that I can put up on the website.

It was the highlight of my week I think, having backed it when I noticed it had gone blue on oddschecker. I wish I’d remembered your mention of him Jinny, it’s great watching racing and having some sort of connection, no matter how tenuous, to a horse or rider.

Are you still out there Irish Stamp , your preview of the Cheltenham hunter chases evenings were legendary ,
Anyone have any thoughts tonight ?

Have been in contact with IS, he will post later but sounds as if the main bet will be Peacocks Secret in the last.

Tricky card tonight so will just post the best value bets.

5:00 - Downbythestrand @ 25/1. Had to know what to make of this race, as ever a few classy types down in trip but this horse is proven in this kind of race and along with Sam Cavallaro is worth a bet.

5:35 - Getting Closer @ 16/1. I've already backed Hadmeathello but I made this one roughly around the same price with a very useful amateur up in Izzie Marshall.

18:10 - Moscow Prices @ 22/1. Should barely be a double figure price in this field.

18:45 - Summer Sounds @ 25/1. Blundered at a crucial stage in the Intermediate Final a couple of years ago and while not getting any younger he's no backnumber here. The price is huge with the useful Alice Stevens up.

19:15 - Fishy Story @ 12/1. Favourite should prove very hard to beat but I was disappointed with Miss Seagreen of late who'd have been a clear second best on her earlier form. The price on the selection looks big if the 8 runners hold.

19:45 - Optimised @ 12/1. Runner-up in this a few years ago and stays well unlike a few in here. Should be other bets in this race.

20:15 - Eric The Third @ 40/1. I made the Dale Peters horse Peacocks Secret the bet of the night but the value has gone (was 10's first show last night and 15/2 for a while).

Maritn

Tricky card tonight so will just post the best value bets.

5:00 - Downbythestrand @ 25/1. Had to know what to make of this race, as ever a few classy types down in trip but this horse is proven in this kind of race and along with Sam Cavallaro is worth a bet.

5:35 - Getting Closer @ 16/1. I've already backed Hadmeathello but I made this one roughly around the same price with a very useful amateur up in Izzie Marshall.

18:10 - Moscow Prices @ 22/1. Should barely be a double figure price in this field.

18:45 - Summer Sounds @ 25/1. Blundered at a crucial stage in the Intermediate Final a couple of years ago and while not getting any younger he's no backnumber here. The price is huge with the useful Alice Stevens up.

19:15 - Fishy Story @ 12/1. Favourite should prove very hard to beat but I was disappointed with Miss Seagreen of late who'd have been a clear second best on her earlier form. The price on the selection looks big if the 8 runners hold.

19:45 - Optimised @ 12/1. Runner-up in this a few years ago and stays well unlike a few in here. Should be other bets in this race.

20:15 - Eric The Third @ 40/1. I made the Dale Peters horse Peacocks Secret the bet of the night but the value has gone (was 10's first show last night and 15/2 for a while).

Maritn

Cheers Irish... All outran their odds and all got into the each way extra places on 365 at massive prices.... Thanks again for sharing

Irish Stamp - it would be great if you could share a few thoughts tomorrow for the Stratford meeting tomorrow evening . A few short favourites and smaller fields than Cheltenham hunter chase evening.
Got decent word myself for Ulster black water in the 505 at Fairyhouse tomorrow evening , 7/4 not the greatest price but I’m on after others snapped up the brief 3/1 .

Gats and Co won really nicely at Cothelstone when I was there and will be going Novice Chasing after this run.

Yes sadly it’s no more. Went there a few times when I lived in Newmarket. Not sure where the meetings are planning to move to yet.

View attachment 2639
The wonderful Porlock Bay plus connections today at a delayed celebration lunch first at the yard and then the local pub. Although he’s not the biggest horse you can see how big the trophy is! Cheltenham very kindly let them “borrow” it as it usually doesn’t leave the course but because they weren’t able to be there on the day an exception was made. They collected it yesterday at a formal presentation at Cheltenham and Will’s six month old son was placed in the cup!
Very special day and I felt honoured to have been asked. All the former Wessex jockeys who had won the race in the past were there....Harriet Tucker, Bryony Frost, Polly Curling, Tim Mitchell and Justin Farthing as well as Paul Nicholls.

Last edited:
Interesting. Thanks DG. Bar the ex Chris Barber horse, no West Country Horses there which is strange considering we have such a strong contingent here. I’ll have a look through my notes from last season although they got so wet at Cothelstone, they are probably indecipherable!

Back