The Road To The 2012 Champion Hurdle

At this moment in time its hard to see what can beat him isn't it?

Supremely consistent and takes me back a bit to the 70's where your top hurdlers were head and shoulders above the handicappers..or seemed to be anyway

I'm not so sure about the Hattons Grace, granger.

I know he won it last year, but two-and-a-half in a bog is never going to see him to best effect (his runs over the trip in France also point to this, imo) and I think he might be kept to 2m this season.

Mullins was happy to travel him to Auteuil when he was a novice, and he might decide to do something a bit more adventurous with Hurricane Fly's campaign - though I'd be surprised if he did. I expect something a bit more 'traditional' will apply.

HF missed the Morgiana last year, and if he takes it in this year, I think they might swerve Fairyhouse, and go straight to Leopardstown at Christmas.

On all known evidence, I cannot see anything that can seriously trouble Hurricane Fly in the Champion Hurdle (assuming he gets a clear run). I don't think we've got to the bottom of him yet, the established hurdlers are all exposed as inferior, and it would take an extraordinary amount of improvement for any of last year's novices to land a blow. 6/4 is going to look like a gift, if he lines up in March.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the Timeform ratings awarded to Hurricane Fly for his Cheltenham and Punchestown runs respectively?

Cheers
Grass

Can anyone enlighten me as to the Timeform ratings awarded to Hurricane Fly for his Cheltenham and Punchestown runs respectively?

Cheers
Grass

Master Rating 172
Cheltenham 168+
Punchestown 168+ (4)

Still question marks for me what he finds off the bridle :lol:

Last edited:
Master Rating 172
Cheltenham 168+
Punchestown 168+ (4)

Still question marks for me what he finds off the bridle :lol:

There was a Trading meeting last year after fortunes were lost. First question to us was what have we learnt?

Me: "Montjeu's get up the hill....."

Last edited:
Sorry was trying to make it clear where the extra 4 in his master rating came from. I failed miserably! His highest ever bare form rating is 169+ in the Irish Champion.

Can a horse that was beat up a stick getting lumps of weight in a poor Galway hurdle really be considered a CH horse???

It was an exceptionally good Galway Hurdle-it was for me anyway.I am thinking of backing Moon Dice and The Real Article for the Champion.
Hurricane Fly is a superstar-the best since Istabraq but he has missed two festivals -take him out and the race is wide open.

Hurricane Fly is a superstar-the best since Istabraq but he has missed two festivals -take him out and the race is wide open.

Exactly what i'm thinking. There's planty of value in the market if you take out the fav. Chelt is a long long way away. The hurricane will have to be handled with kid gloves to get there.

Zarkander is the most exciting prospect for me.

Back