F314-313 MENORAH (IRE) 8 Diana Whateley Philip Hobbs
01//13P/4 MR GARDNER (IRE) 10 Richard & Lizzie Kelvin Hughes Polly Gundry
351/51-1 PRINCE DE BEAUCHENE (FR) 10 Andrea & Graham Wylie Willie Mullins IRE
F1113-04 QUEL ESPRIT (FR) 9 Red Barn Syndicate Willie Mullins IRE
21/11P-6 RIVERSIDE THEATRE 9 Jimmy Nesbitt Partnership Nicky Henderson
0-511112 ROI DU MEE (FR) 8 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott IRE
2154-32 RUBI LIGHT (FR) 8 Bill Hennessy Robbie Hennessy IRE
1111-241 SIR DES CHAMPS (FR) 7 Gigginstown House Stud Willie Mullins IRE
121-1111 SIZING EUROPE (IRE) 11 Ann & Alan Potts Partnership Henry de Bromhead IRE
224102-3 SOMERSBY (IRE) 9 Camilla Radford Mick Channon
1/35/1-50 TATANIANO (FR) 9 The Stewart Family Richard Rowe
345P-22P WALKON (FR) 8 McNeill Family Alan King
F25-2141 WISHFULL THINKING 10 Diana Whateley Philip Hobbs
2144U0- ZAYNAR (FR) 8 Men In Our Position David Pipe

27 entries remain after February 12 scratchings deadline
10 Irish-trained

THE FOLLOWING 12 HORSES HAVE BEEN SCRATCHED: BLAZING TEMPO (IRE), BLESS THE WINGS (IRE), BOG
WARRIOR (IRE), BOLD SIR BRIAN (IRE), FLEMENSTAR (IRE), KAUTO STONE (FR), LAMBRO (IRE), POQUELIN
(FR), REALT DUBH (IRE), STAGECOACH PEARL, UNIONISTE (FR), WILLIAM'S WISHES (IRE)

The exact same comment applies to First Lieutenant for me. Loves the track and the likely ground and has just been outstayed in his other good runs recently.

Sizing skinned him the last time they met over 20f, and it's difficult to see any reason for a reversal, this time.

Cue Card, Finians Rainbow and Sizing Europe are serious animals so winning this won't be easy if they turn up.

Before the season started last year Nicky Henderson said the only race he had in mind for Riverside Theatre was the Ryanair but this season he went to the King george with a veiw to having a crack at the Gold Cup later on. Another owner with rode Coloured glasses overrating his horses capabilities. If he has given up on that idea and he is heading for another crack at this race he's got to be the one they all have to beat but this could end a better race than the last 2 running's

I have a soft spot for Menorah, he always seems to find a good race to win has loads of ability but he also is well deserving of a unreliable squiggle.

First Lieutenant has good record at Cheltenham which is a major plus but even his biggest fans couldn't be confident he'd actually win this race. Place 7 times on the trot never runs a bad race but never wins definitely the horse and not the trip in my book. Place market bet for sure but couldn't possible bring myself to back him to win.

Ghizao won first time up, could be PN has the idea he runs best fresh. Would have a chance if running up to his 2nd to Finian's Rainbow at Aintree

I wouldn't back anything Antepost in this but if Finian's Rainbow turns up I'd have to side with him.

Sizing skinned him the last time they met over 20f, and it's difficult to see any reason for a reversal, this time.

Seriously?

Forpady beat him that day also so it's hardly his true running. 2m4 in a small field contest is hardly First Lieutenant's optimum conditions and SE is 11 now - i'd be against him on age grounds in any race he ran in at the Festival.

The opponents argument about Sizing Europe being too old has been flawed all season.

He has simply got better with time, and whilst next year I would class him potentially as too old for a championship race, at this current time I really feel like he's going to run the race of his life next month, hopefully against Sprinter Sacre.

Whether he gets beat 2 or 20 lengths will depend on how good Sprinter is against the best opposition. I've backed Sizing at 6/1 for the Champion Chase as it is an inflated price based on the merits of one of horse, Sprinter Sacre.

Last edited:
Seriously?

Forpady beat him that day also so it's hardly his true running. 2m4 in a small field contest is hardly First Lieutenant's optimum conditions and SE is 11 now - i'd be against him on age grounds in any race he ran in at the Festival.

Aye, he'll be all of 6 months older than the last time they met (RPR 162), and has since recorded a 172 over the same trip.
First Lieutenant's best in 8 attempts at the distance 152 - go figure.

He can be forgiven for getting beat a length (under unfavourable circumstances with the carry-on over the last fence) which I think most accept would have worked in his favour if it had been jumped.

He still wouldn't have won by far, but his form this season, and more generally the fact he's won 9 of his last 12 races would tend to say the horse will put in a big run at Cheltenham.

I can't beleive the same old faces who underestimated him after he broke down ill in the champion hurdle seem to be writing him off all these years on, almost like if he comes a valiant second they'll say they were right all along!!!

Short of a champion and just a lucky old horse over the years I guess eh?

Trust Marb...the man who kept faith all along...this horse will run the best race of his life whether its 1st or 2nd against Sprinter next month.

If connections get scared of one horse in the CC they will be making a mistake.

Last edited:
First leiutenant would be better suited by the Gold cup rather than ryan air.

Sizing europe , i think he has not been at his best in his last 2 runs
He would be interesting in the ryan air, but i think he will run in the qm

They have kept him ticking over in his runs up to Cheltenham every year, his class has just kept him winning races

If he turns up in the Ryanair and isn't the favourite. i'll have a right pop off him

Completely agree with suny that First Lieutenant should go for the Gold Cup. He just needs to settle and he's got a great chance. Certainly a great place bet.

But I gather Slim has heard FL is Ryanair bound and suggestions elsewhere that the owner is leaning that way. Would be a shame.

First leiutenant would be better suited by the Gold cup rather than ryan air.

His record at 3m+ suggests otherwise, always seems to find one to beat him.

The owner has two animals in the Gold Cup and none in the race he sponsors? Seems illogical to me.

Last edited:
thats becuase he hasnt got a turn of foot and running him over a shorter trip will not change that

he would be far better in the gold cup the ground will probably suit him and whilst he may not win it could very well be placed

Mmm, you could have a point, but I don't see Bob's Worth as a turn of foot merchant either - just a grinder who stays all day.

BW is running in the Gold Cup, Euro.......not sure that a turn-of-foot is a necessarily a requirement.

Back