The Road To The 2013 Ryanair Chase

I have the blinkers well and truly on. I'm finding it difficult to see how First Lieutenant gets beaten. Anyone think could Cue Card and First Lietenant battle it out for the lead and possibly cut each others throats?

It'd be unusual for a horse with the stamina to place in a Hennessy having the speed to win a RyanAir, and I can't believe that First Lieutenant is any different.
With Albertas Run getting on, and Riverside Theatre out of sorts, this should be Cue Card's for the taking.

Hoping cue card races prominently,just can't see anything in the race living with his kick if he is ridden positively.First lieutenant will be doing it all too late.Cue Crd is a massive play or me at the prices today.

Last edited:
Very interesting race.

First thing to notice is that there will be a hell of a pace on here..AR..both CC's & FL will damage each other here I think.

Cue Card must be the lay of the week under these circumstances...absolutely cannot win imo

FL...cannot understand the interest in this horse..2m4 ish recent form is poor..just can't see what the fuss is for this race

Alberata's is getting on and needs faster ground..also get tangled up at the head of an overstrong strong pace

I'm backing Riverside Theatre..i'm surprised he isn't more popular on here tbh..everytime he runs at the wrong distance..everyone fancies him..today at his correct trip he's the forgotten horse.

Wouldn't be here if not over health problem..great record fresh...love the ground...the pace here will play to his strengths for a horse who doesn't quite get 3m but needs a full out 2m5.

record at less than 3 miles....43 day+break = 111511

surely this is the bet of the week isn't it?

Last edited:
Last year's Ryanair form isn't worth a sook, imo. Riverside Theatre didn't go a yard, yet managed to win from a desperately poor field.

Alberta's is too old now, and won't be able to lie-up with Cue Card, who is a confident selection on my part.

Very interesting race.

First thing to notice is that there will be a hell of a pace on here..AR..both CC's & FL will damage each other here I think.

Cue Card must be the lay of the week under these circumstances...absolutely cannot win imo

FL...cannot understand the interest in this horse..2m4 ish recent form is poor..just can't see what the fuss is for this race

Alberata's is getting on and needs faster ground..also get tangled up at the head of an overstrong strong pace

I'm backing Riverside Theatre..i'm surprised he isn't more popular on here tbh..everytime he runs at the wrong distance..everyone fancies him..today at his correct trip he's the forgotten horse.

Wouldn't be here if not over health problem..great record fresh...love the ground...the pace here will play to his strengths for a horse who doesn't quite get 3m but needs a full out 2m5.

I think there's the chance they'll settle in front without over-forcing it but I don't see that FL needs to get involved. I think he'll sit just off the pace and pick them off.

Very interesting race.

You are spot on. But, isn't he just the best horse in the race anyway?

You are spot on. But, isn't he just the best horse in the race anyway?

by 1 lb

just thought i'd talk a bit..its a bit boring just posting.."i think RT will win as he is the best horse in the race"

surely..its the best horse in the conditions isn't it?..it seems many think FL is the best horse in the conditions..hence his price

Last edited:
I've been on riverside theatre for a few months, wouldn't be surprised if price falls today. I think if he didn't think it could win, Nicky would have withdrawn him a la finians. If he places I'll be relieved, if he wins I'll be booking a holiday, if he loses...well...I just don't want to contemplate that...

It'd be unusual for a horse with the stamina to place in a Hennessy having the speed to win a RyanAir, and I can't believe that First Lieutenant is any different.
With Albertas Run getting on, and Riverside Theatre out of sorts, this should be Cue Card's for the taking.

If you look at the list of Ryanair winners, most winners are 3 mile horses stepping down in trip rather than QMCC horses stepping up.

Thisthatandtother is arguably the only 2miler to win this.

Horses like Riverside Theatre, Albertas Run, Imperial Commander and Our Vic show that this is won usually by a horse who can stay 3 miles.

Last edited:
I agree with Ec1 and PartTimePunter. The Post says in their verdict Riverside Theatre wants good ground, but this is a horse that was second to Long Run in a King George on gd-st, won the Ascot Chase by ten lengths on soft ground and I think if there's a bit of cut it won't harm his chance by any means.

I hope he wins.

Last edited:
I rate Mouse Morris as a judge. He is on record as saying he wanted FL to go Gold Cup. He wouldn't send him if he didn't think he could put up to the principals. Nothing in this field would have a hope in the GC (granted different trip, of course), so outside of Cue Card having that extra gear, I can't see anything touching FL.

I do fear with the ground drying he should have gone for the GC. Id imagine Mouse is thinking the same.

Absolute nightmare for punting purposes. Albertas Run has been my favourite Festival horse in recent years but you have to wonder what is left in the tank. In the past he has been taken on for the lead and fought them off one by one but can he do that again? Not so sure First Lieutenant will just drop back in trip and outclass them. His win record isn't that great and at the prices now he has to win. Cue Card's Cheltenham record is good but over fences he often strikes me as an accident waiting to happen. Would like to see Tizzard accept he is going to stay and really kick on rather than restraining him in front.

just thought i'd talk a bit..its a bit boring just posting.."i think RT will win as he is the best horse in the race"

FWIW, I'm in total agreement. I can see so many post race comments: "too short/too far/ too dry"

I'm putting a small in running saver on FL @ double figs, if they do collapse up front and he flys at the death.

All his recent improvement, whether through age or conditions has been over 24f plus. His one bad run was on debut this season ( normally starts well) when no disgrace getting beat by Sizing, but Paddytheplasterer ???

That horse would be 66/1 in todays race.

If Henderson is right about RT being over health problems he's too big in this.

CC will get done up the hill, non stayer for me. Looks between RT and FL... Albertas being placed would not surprise me.

by 1 lb

surely..its the best horse in the conditions isn't it?..it seems many think FL is the best horse in the conditions..hence his price

Sorry, I came across wrong. What I meant to say was in addition to what you said, he is also the best in race. I think you know by now I don't just write names = best etc.

Sorry, I came across wrong. What I meant to say was in addition to what you said, he is also the best in race. I think you know by now I don't just write names = best etc.

I don't agree one bit. He only just squeezed in last year against a past it Albertas Run and a hardly top notch Medermit. And as we've seen most of the season the novice brigade from last year are better than what was around last. It's between Cue Card and First Lieutenant for me with an each way shout for For Non Stop.

no probs Hamm..

which horse is the best in the race can be looked at in different ways of course..on earnings per start...AR and RT are head and shoulders above these..AR is probably to old and the ground isn't right for him to show his best but i am surprised people might think RT is not as good as he was..if he has been ailing then its fair to ignore those runs

FL has a lot of placings..and not enough wins and has a low EPS for a horse of his reputation..if he wins then fair enough but i just don't get the fuss about this horse today..maybe i will later..just seems odd he is even favourite to me

I took a chance on rt handling the course last year and he didn't but won anyway. The ride was quite wonderful but too much to ask for this again

At the prices I have taken FNS. Back on ground he will perform on

I think Cue Card is absolutely nailed on today. I've also done a larger than usual e/w double with Oscar Whisky.

Back