The Road to the 2017 Champion Hurdle

Diamond Geezer

Gone But Not Forgotten
Starting early this season :ninja:

From the RP

FAUGHEEN may start his preparations for the new jumps season as early as next week after recovering from the injury he sustained in February.
The 2015 Champion Hurdle winner was a red-hot favourite to retain his crown last season before he damaged a suspensory ligament in the lead-up to the defence of his title at Cheltenham.
Patrick Mullins, assistant trainer to his father Willie, reported the eight-year-old in good form.
" Faugheen looks great. He spent the summer out in the field on our farm and the good weather has helped him and a lot of our horses. He may begin work next week and we'll take it from there," he said.

"It's very early days but I'd imagine he could take a similar route to what he has been doing the last two seasons. But we haven't made any decisions yet."
The son of Germany could head back to Kempton in December for the Christmas Hurdle, a race he has landed twice in as many years.
Even though Faugheen never made it to any of the major festivals last season. he still finished the season as the highest-rated hurdler in Britain and Ireland with a mark of 176 due to his scintillating performance in the BHP Insurances Irish Champion Hurdle at Leopardstown in January.
He is as short as 7-4 in places to regain the Stan James Champion Hurdle in March, a race in which Willie Mullins trains six of the first eight in the betting.

you'd be fairly mental to back him at 7/4-9/4 when he's probably an even money shot to even be in the race

even money to be in the race, a quarter or less to jump around, the rest is buying money. Such a shame though, to still keep him over hurdles when Willie has 3-4 other candidates for the CH. How many does he have for the Gold Cup?

even money to be in the race, a quarter or less to jump around, the rest is buying money. Such a shame though, to still keep him over hurdles when Willie has 3-4 other candidates for the CH. How many does he have for the Gold Cup?

Still can't manage to win a Gold Cuo though!

Still can't manage to win a Gold Cuo though!

thats my point, send the best horse he's ever had over fences and maybe it'll win him one. Don't waste Faugheen talent on another CH campaign which he's already got covered with AP; or going for the WH. Lets him thrive over fences and see if he can win a GC. Night Nurse tried and came second. Willie's father sent Dawn Run to do the double successfully, why doesn't he aspire to become as great. Of course, he was never fond of Faugheen and always protected other horses in his stable to F detriment, so get ready to hear the announcement that .. surprise surprise.. he'll go for the WH. But don't expect this announcement earlier than Monday of Chelt's festival with his overnight odds haywire after Mullins staff filled their boots.

I'm with Luke. He's built like a chaser, makes a shape like a chaser, and when you look at the riches Willie and Ricci have in combination, he could genuinely be the second novice to win Gold Cup in three seasons.

He's never shown any sign of a back problem on the course Granger. If the back guy has it under control it's generally no worse either way anyway.

Agree on physique, but not sure about shape.

Faugheen has always looked ever-so-slightly ungainly to me.....almost as if he is surprised and offended that they put something in the way of his relentless gallop, when he comes across a hurdle........and he has never particularly struck me as one who might ping his fences with alacrity. There's also the injury to consider. A suspensory ligament isn't as bad as a tendon, but it's bad enough, and you would have to think that this would receive more stress in a steeplechase, than it does in a hurdle race.

WPM might have other viable candidates for the Champion Hurdle, but Faugheen still towers above them all, when at his best. If they can bring him back into reasonably rude-health, I think they will go back over hurdles with him, as it's the least risky option (and it's not as if Ricci doesn't already have established chasers, good enough to win a Gold Cup).

:ninja:

Last edited:
With the obvious exception of Vroum Vroum Mag (who appears to have filled the roll of super-sub up until now) Mullins seems to see his horses as either hurdlers or chasers and when it's the latter doesn't bother in giving them a strenuous hurdling campaign beforehand.

Looking at his top class horses over the years; Florida Pearl, Sir Des Champs, Boston Bob, Djakadam, Do Poli, Vautour, Shaneshill, Douvan all went straight from their novice hurdle campaign (bumpers in the case of Florida Pearl) to fences the following year.

Even Un De Sceaux was kept away from any meaningful opposition during his transition year, albeit his future targets are now unclear.

Whereas Hurricane Fly, Thousand Stars, Annie Power, Arctic Fire seem(ed) destined to be forever hurdlers and I'd be amazed if the same weren't true of Faugheen.

Last edited:
Betting on both Faugheen and Annie Power getting to Cheltenham there isn't too many alternatives.

Either Faugheen goes CH and Annie Power the mares or Annie Goes Champion and Faugheen like Willie hinted he might do goes World Hurdle.

Faugheen has more change of getting 3 miles than Annie in top class company

8/1 might tempt some but I don't see her being the one to take on Thistlecrack if he stays hurdling

Faugheen CH Annie Power MH 9/2

Annie Power CH Faugheen WH 24/1

I still reckon Douvan could end up running in the Gold Cup the money keeps coming for him for the King George and he's as low as 4/1 in places.

Sprinter Sacre 3/1- 6/1 would look good without Douvan. Even 12/1 ew UDS could be worth considering.

If Douvan does stick to 2 miles I won't be opposing him I'll just sit back and watch.

Douvan is capable of rewriting the racing history books IMO Time will tell.

I'm with Luke. He's built like a chaser, makes a shape like a chaser, and when you look at the riches Willie and Ricci have in combination, he could genuinely be the second novice to win Gold Cup in three seasons.

He's never shown any sign of a back problem on the course Granger. If the back guy has it under control it's generally no worse either way anyway.

I'm not Luke or Luca in my native language, but its good you're with me. As for the back problems, why is he allowed racing if he has them? Its animal cruelty. I call bollocks on that and we all know his owner said it just to give an argument for argument's sake. If he truly had back problems Mullins wouldn't say just 2 months ago "If Richard wants to take Faugheen down the Gold Cup route its his decision, he stays all day"(can't find the youtube link)

so you think Mullins ill intentions to hide Faugheen injury? Who introduced the back problem? If he has it why is he still in training? Thats a major injury not only for jumps but for flat racing as well. What Mullins says is with purpose, if he knew Faugheen had a back problem he wouldn't give his owner that option, he would take him out of racing. When did Mullins ever raced a horse with such a serious injury? Back problem and jumping? Thats Rich R. talking nonsense.

so you think Mullins ill intentions to hide Faugheen injury? Who introduced the back problem? If he has it why is he still in training? Thats a major injury not only for jumps but for flat racing as well. What Mullins says is with purpose, if he knew Faugheen had a back problem he wouldn't give his owner that option, he would take him out of racing. When did Mullins ever raced a horse with such a serious injury? Back problem and jumping? Thats Rich R. talking nonsense.

I never mentioned anything about injury. I was questioning the validity in this

"If Richard wants to take Faugheen down the Gold Cup route its his decision, he stays all day"

...as great. Of course, he was never fond of Faugheen and always protected other horses in his stable to F detriment, so get ready to hear the announcement that .. surprise surprise.. he'll go for the WH. But don't expect this announcement earlier than Monday of Chelt's festival with his overnight odds haywire after Mullins staff filled their boots.
Apparently Mullins betting mafia is being investigated: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mullins-horse-in-suspicious-betting-probe-fhts06r5f
The British Horseracing Authority (BHA) is investigating alleged betting irregularities and patterns linked to the withdrawal of the racehorse Faugheen from the Champion Hurdle at this year’s Cheltenham festival.
The investigation concerns a number of ante-post bets placed by a group of punters who wagered that Faugheen would not complete or win the race before the horse was officially withdrawn in February on veterinary advice, according to informed sources.
Mullins, regarded as one of Europe’s top trainers, has confirmed he was approached by the BHA about the inquiry and has since provided the information requested. He told The Sunday Times he was not given specific details about the investigation by the BHA but was asked to confirm certain dates and times. He said he was co-operating fully.

I am old fashioned and love it when a plan/touch comes together. I consider it as part of the game as long as it is within the grea area and no rules are broken.

However knowing a horse has been injured like Faugheen was and attempting to defraud others is a different ball game and these people should be prosecuted IMO

Thing to note is it says the betting is under investigation NOT WPM who probably has nothing to do with it....he is not that stupid to do something so blatantly obvious.

My bet is some punters with stable lad connections are behind it

Have to be against both Willie's at this stage. Yanworth seems a nice alternative. Would have won the Neptune with a better positioned ride and is over 20/1 at the moment.

Switch positions, have Barry on the inside and Ruby on the outer (admittedly different than my earlier post) and you have a reversal. That's all arguable I guess, I do think the CH would be right up the King's horse alleypipe. He travels like a dream.

Back