The Road to the 2017 Champion Hurdle

Yep, agree with you on Golden Cygnet, I didn't want to believe that he'd gone so young.

His death and a couple of fatalities in the Grand National led to my loss of interest in NH racing.

Occassionally my interest is revived such as watching Sprinter Sacre jump but I'm afraid it'll never be the same.

Too many deaths takes the pleasure out of the sport for me.

Alverton was one that i remember Col...GC winner run in GN..coincidentally..Synchronized echoed it..and Jonjo was ...sadly for him ...connected to both..he rode Alverton and trained Syncronized

Last edited:
Alan King on Yanworth

"Last season was marvellous really. It went very well bar Cheltenham. Things didn't quite go to plan. He was probably beaten by a very good horse, but we lost a lot of ground on the home turn. He (Yorkhill) quickened away from us and we could never really cut it down."It took quite a lot out of him. It was the first proper race he had and that's why we didn't run him again.
"I would not be at all surprised if he ended up being a World Hurdle prospect, but we will see. I think two miles on testing ground would be fine, but I'd be surprised if we come back - I think it will be two and a half and up."

Kinda sad he's not a natural 2 milers......the Champion Hurdle has always been my fav race but it's a bloody mess and could be the most weakly contested race in it's history. Will be the biggest shock if WPM doesn't win it at long odds on with Faugheen or Annie.

NJH has nothing in the yard we know off that will run in the race Altior and BD look to be going chasing as they have both been schooling and MTOY is highly unlikely to be around.

As for Apple's Jade her form is suspect as the Juvenile form was the worst for more than a few seasons. The races at Aintree and Punchestown were desperate affairs and she was getting weight from her main rival Ivan whatitsname.......he is as moderate as they come BCHS having finished 1/2 length in front of a boat at Aintree and did even worse in Ireland.

She is very difficult to work out and could be anything but the transfer from Juvenile to Champion Hurdle is like trying to leap over the grand canyon....not many make it

Last edited:
Interesting interview in today's RP with Ruby where he apparently smiles and says he'd have a fair idea which one he'd ride if Faugheen and Annie were both in peak form two days before Cheltenham, but gives no clues as to which one.

You'd have to thnk Faugheen but as good as he has been he'd surely find it hard giving 7lb to the mare and Ricci is clear elsewhere in the paper as saying Faugheen will fill in in whichever one of the Morgiana and Hattons Grace that Annie doesn't run in.

Last edited:
It's less about what Annie did at Cheltenham, and more about what Faugheen did at Leopardstown in the ICH. If he comes close to that level, there's not a 2m hurdler in training that can live with him, imo.

I agree, Faugheen at his best would be better than Annie at her best.

Sorting out Faugheen's programme after first catering for Annie doesn't necessarily mean that WPM sees her as the better of the pair, merely that she gets priority because she's more difficult to get to the track in the right frame of mind.

Can't have Faugheen trying to give Annie weight. She would take care of him.

Given the chance she would be a multiple Champion Hurdle winner already imo.

Can't have Faugheen trying to give Annie weight. She would take care of him.

Given the chance she would be a multiple Champion Hurdle winner already imo.

Annie beat Nicholls Canyon 5L in receipt of 7lb in the Champion Hurdle.

Faugheen beat the same horse 28L at level-weights in the Irish Champion Hurdle. Talent-wise, Annie Power isn't in the same parish as Faugheen........it's not even remotely close, imo.

Faugheen beat the same horse 28L at level-weights in the Irish Champion Hurdle. Talent-wise, Annie Power isn't in the same parish as Faugheen........it's not even remotely close, imo.

I agree - Fully right, Faugheen is a superior beast

i don't feel Nichols Canyon showed best that day though Grass re the 28 lengths..but even without that line of form i'd have faugheen giving Annie the allowance and a beating...but not by the distance that NC form line suggests

Last edited:
i don't feel Nichols Canyon showed best that day though Grass re the 28 lengths..but even without that line of form i'd have faugheen giving Annie the allowance and a beating...but not by the distance that NC form line suggests

Agree that a literal interpretation is a bit too basic.........it's more to point out that the evidence that 'Annie would take care of him" simply does not exist.

Yup the distance not a true reflection. Annie won 5 lengths though could have been far more such was her superiority.

Faugheen is no doubt a class act but trinna give the mare weight. Nope not for me.

Back