The Road to the 2017 Champion Hurdle

Granger, I am compelled by several by-laws and city ordnances, to intervene whenever such drivel is touted by pimps and trolls.

Ted Walsh much maligned said twice in about 20 seconds on RTE today as to what he'd shoot a horse who wouldn't race off

I'd shoot for trolling on here and give the horse another chance

@granger if your conception of trolling is speaking the truth, then by all means continue to post all you want.. Trolling is what you and GH did for the last 4 posts, something completely irrelevant and offtopic to attack a fact in that Fly lost alot of races outside Cheltenham while TNO isn't given any credit for doing more than that in his own country.

Back to the topic, Yanworth is a e/w bet to nothing as the CH is his definitive target now and I can't see anything that can outclass him outside Faugheen, who's not been seen this season and is anyone's guess if he goes for the race. He will enjoy the stiff Chelt test much more than Kempton given the way he takes a while to get into top gear.

@granger if your conception of trolling is speaking the truth, then by all means continue to post all you want.. Trolling is what you and GH did for the last 4 posts, something completely irrelevant and offtopic to attack a fact in that Fly lost alot of races outside Cheltenham while TNO isn't given any credit for doing more than that in his own country..

Hurricane Fly lost four hurdle races in six seasons, between his first start as a juvenile in May 2008, and May 2014.

One of those races was as a juvenile to Grivette (Quevega back in third - I assume you knew this?) another was his first start in open company behind Solwhit (Muirhead second) and the others were the 2012 & 2014 Champion Hurdles. Over that period, he won a G3 juvenile hurdle against Grivette, and 19 other G1 events at 2 miles, including two Champion Hurdles, four Irish Champion, and three Punchestown Champion Hurdles.

TNO has been beaten in all six starts in G1 Hurdles at 2m. This is what you're up against.

Next time, I get rude. :cool: :thumbsup:

Lest it's forgotten - Yanworth was sent to Kempton specifically to find out if he'd the speed for a Champion Hurdle - a question he answered emphatically; and against good yardsticks.
Perfectly reasonable to surmise a star was born at Kempton on Boxing day - and one that will ultimately pay better dividends than the one the majority latched onto.

Bring on the empty Irish horses.:lol:

Last edited:
@GH I'm not up against anything, you're missing the point. TNO was beaten 4 times outside Cheltenham in 5 seasons, and only twice he was beaten more than 1 length(Yanworth by 3 and Faugheen by 7). HF was beaten 5 times outside Cheltenham by much lesser horses, admittedly in 7 seasons. TNO was beaten 3 times at Chelt, HF was beaten 3 times as well. I'm also not arguing the number of G1s in Ire and England races. My point is that because you and others have a negative preconception towards TNO, you fail to see how good Yanworth really is. I said it before the race that with the current form for Y to beat TNO, he needs either a miracle or to be a really good one and by beating him 3 lengths on a track that doesn't even suits him he could be an outstanding 2 mile hurdler.

Ignoring all of your HF stats (you'll get beaten every time - stop the madness), alternative views are a natural by-product of a horse-race. I could equally argue that you have TNO over-rated, and are over-rating Yanworth as a result.

Only time will tell which one of us is right.

Last edited:
Just to pin down the bet, I think Yanworth will be able to beat AP with her allowance in the CH but if they meet at Aintree I think she'll come on top.

She beat MTOY and NC less than 5 lengths last March. Her CH the most overrated this side of Binocular's

Completely agree with that. Last years CH looks rank form. MTOY may have already been on the downgrade as we hadn't seen him all season and it's no secret that the 2014 Triumph was awful.

Too much is made of NC getting the better of Faugheen last season who clearly wasn't fit. If He was any cop he'd have picked up and carried the rest of that Neptune field who haven't exactly been pulling up trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Binocular knocker can fook off :lol:

I agree about NC Bear I have never been a fan and Ivanovich Gorbatov was to close to be calling the form good.

That said Petit Mouchoir really impressed me and he might just be the biggest danger to whatever Mullins ends up sending.

He has all the markings of a fast improving horse and he has done that very easily today and in a very good time.

Just want to add-before this bashing goes way out of control- that (1) NC beat Ivanovich about 20 lengths the last time they met, now he was only 2 lengths ahead.
(2) NC struggled to beat Identity Thief at last year renewal of this race but managed to beat him 14 lengths when they met at Cheltenham.
(3) NC jumped markdly to his right, just like he did at Aintree last year so clearly something was amiss with him today.
(4) No rating organization overrated the CH of last season, but due to AP allowance you would've needed a very good performance to get ahead of her. MTOY was only rated RPR 165 for 2nd to her, while for the 2nd he achieved when nk to Jezki in `14 he was rated RPR 171. So no one is overrating her performance but clearly she is the best mare since Dawn Run to grace the jumps scene and it takes a very talented horse to beat her.

When looking at this years contenders there is some young talent coming through, Sceau Royal only 4yo-don't know what happened lto in the Fighting Fifth but on his previous 2 runs he showed a powerful engine to beat a useful handicapper Ravin Black by 10 lengths giving him 8lbs is one of the performances of the season so far. Petit today only 5yo would've won the FF and today proved he's capable of even more. Yanworth only 6yo and only beaten once over timber when the ride he received was evidently at blame plus his trainer's yard at the time was in terrible form and based on the sectional timing analysis that TF S. Rowlands released today he's clearly a very underestimated horse and IMO could be the next superstar in the division if anything happens to Faugheen.

in both ridden by Davy Russel, the race comments for the 2 races are: "Held up in rear, " "Waited with in rear", I'm going to let you guess which is which but clearly the same `terrible` ride on both occasions if you're talking about tactics.

Ivanovich Gorbatov is almost certainly being campaigned with a Festival handicap in mind. Either the County or a step up in trip for the Coral Cup I'd imagine.

Back