The Road to the 2019 Champion Hurdle

Diamond Geezer

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom George speaking about Summerville Boy

"He's strengthened up really well, we will probably keep him over hurdles and at two miles. He's a very fast horse, the Fighting Fifth (Newcastle 1st Dec) is a major target for him."

Not that that race is a reliable yardstick these days, but this thread has to start somewhere.

Just give it to Buveur D’Air. Save six & a half months of debate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be interesting to see how Mullins campaigns Laurina. If she stays over hurdles then we'll probably all be guessing as to her target come next March and it could depend on the weather.

I've been a long time Buveur D'air fan but if the ground comes up soft again (probably unlikely) he could struggle to give the mare 7lb.

I’d say Summerville Boy & Melon might be his only opposition this year to be honest. Samcro will go chasing & Mullins will keep Laurina to her own sex where she’ll be banker material.

I hope the ground’s better than last year too, simply because contrary to what Henderson keeps spouting on about BD needing soft, his best performances have been on decent ground. Everything I’ve studied about him suggest he’s a much better horse on decent ground. A horse with that much speed, who can crank it up in a matter of strides appreciates nice ground. He copes admirably with heavy but last year at Cheltenham I walked the course the morning of the CH & there was false patches all the way up the straight. Geraghty still didn’t give him a back hander until 100 yards before the line.

If they see him as a possible Gold winner, which he’s been touted, then not very serious. O’Leary loves his chasers.

Laurina is the one who came to mind for me also.

Hopefully not cotton wooled

How many times will BVA see a racetrack pre march? had he a niggle last season (cant fully remember)

If they see him as a possible Gold winner, which he’s been touted, then not very serious. O’Leary loves his chasers.

Tend to agree but, even with the risks associated with delaying his progression over fences, you could see why they might be tempted though....

How many times will BVA see a racetrack pre march? had he a niggle last season (cant fully remember)

Not unfeasible they put her over fences and go Arkle perhaps...?

Probably more than last year because Henderson said he practically couldn’t get him fit at home. They will almost definitely get him out after xmas this year somewhere. Leopardstown in February be ideal but Nicky won’t risk traveling him over. Is that contenders hurdle at Sandown gone this year. A farcical race.

Fighting Fifth, Xmas hurdle, ?, Cheltenham.

If Samcro is staying over hurdles, the only 3 feasible races to start in are the Istabraq (Tipp early October - too early?), the WKD (Down Royal early November) or the Morgiana (Punchestown mid November).

There are far more opportunities in beginners chases and given his history you'd say he'd be ready to go mid October. I wouldn't back him in the CH with stolen money until he's declared for a graded hurdle.

I don't think Laurina will stay against her own sex this season. Benie Des Deux will most likely be Mullins Mares Hurdle horse you'd think. No point in sending BDD chasing when the Ryanair is likely to be stacked.

If that's the case you'd think either this or the Arkle for Laurina. Hard to say which way they'll go. I think it depends on what else Willie thinks he's got with a very good chance of winning the Arkle. Melon surely gets another shot at Buveur D'air with Ruby in the saddle this time, so I'm thinking it would be 60/40 Arkle for Laurina. Ruby will surely have a big say and will already be thinking about in terms of next March and all of that feels logical top me.

Archie may have a different view on this given he has a couple of Arkle prospects of his own, and there are also others in the stable he might have a view on that are under the radar. Let's face it, none of us were thinking Footpad would be as good as he is prior to the season starting, so what else is hiding way unexposed at Closutton? I know this is the Champion Hurdle thread, and a bit of a tangent, but it's relevant because it will surely have an impact on whether the Champion Hurdle is a two or three or horse race?

Laurina to be trained with this in mind according to ATR Mullins stable tour......which probably means she ends up in the NH Chase.

Madness unless they plan to try the Gold Cup in his novice chasing season. I wonder if his schooling has been moderate.

Madness unless they plan to try the Gold Cup in his novice chasing season. I wonder if his schooling has been moderate.

i really think it's just that elliott is so desperate for the trainers title and gigi have taken his lead on it, nothing more to it

Back