The Road to the Punchestown Festival

Blimey. He's delivered at last.

Boston Bob was getting back into that but that's a mighty fall. Glad he seems ok.

Last edited:
Sprinter good run, top horse

Sizing europe still very good, it was a mix today of sprinter not at his best and the los warrior performing very well,

Thanks for letting us know DG.
I do like to see Sizing Europe do well. What a horse Sprinter Sacre is though!

Tranquil Sea has a nice chance in the 6:40. Last run was a massive improvement and he clearly likes Aintree. When I watched him in the Grand Sefton I marked him down as one to win a big race this season. Now rated back in the 140's, I think he's worth a bet. I fancy today might be his day.

Last edited:
Reckon today's track and ground will prove too sharp for SDC, and I'll take him on with his owner's second string, First Lieutenant.

Last edited:
I can't have SDC at all given how hard a race he had at Cheltenham. He was also below his best at Punchestown last year.

FL I love but coming here after two big runs at the Festival and Aintree is not ideal prep. Sprinter Sacre got away with it yesterday but he had a massive class advantage.

The price differential between Long Run and Captain Chris is still too big and the latter has massive claims of reversing King George form. He was outpaced on Boxing Day and had to use his reserves of stamina and class to get in contention and consequently had nowt left after the last. His form with Cue Card at Ascot is top notch and he won here after his Arkle victory. I've backed him each way at 10s and 8s.

There is some confidence behind a good run from The Mighty Milan today I'm told and I have backed it EW at 8s. Hope it turns into a Neptune Horse

I might be mad, but I have backed Kauto Stone e.w. at 20/1. He should be the freshest of these and his best form seems to be when returning after a break (beating First Lieutenant first time out this season).

I must ne even more bonkers, I think since Cheltenham last season riverside has been aimed at this festival by the owners and will show a marked improvement hopefully...

I was very impressed with how Captain Chris kept getting himself back into contention in the Gold Cup despite the habitual jumping out right.

I've never taken to SDC for some reason and FL has had a long season. Long Run will surely be thereabouts but I'm not convinced the short run in will suit while as a previous Arkle (and Punchestown) winner I cannot understand why - back on a RH track - Captain Chris is nearly twice the price of Long Run.

Rest of the racing looks tough although to small stakes the 4:55 makes some appeal with either of the two Mullins horses, one of which could be worth a pony with BV in the hope that if they're beat it's by their stablemate - ensuring a promo cash refund.

Have plumped for the evens jolly based on Ruby's decision but thinking I should have gone for the bigger price horse considering the concession.

Last edited:
that looked slow motion in the end..the ground looks very holding..even the 2 mile races are nearly 40 seconds slow..every winner today a heavy ground horse

Last edited:
Back