The Road to the Rest of Newmarket

Bar the Bull

At the Start
Poxy looking Jockey Club Stakes.

I'm looking forward to seeing Total Gallery and Borderlescott in the Palace House. Amour Propre may not be the second coming, but he ran well enough in the Nunthorpe and may be a nice price (I haven't seen a show).

And a load of tough handicaps.

Stamina doubts? He's never struck me as a likely 12f horse. Connections seemingly thinking that way too with his Group 1 entries in the Eclipse and Prince of Wales'.

Stamina doubts? He's never struck me as a likely 12f horse. Connections seemingly thinking that way too with his Group 1 entries in the Eclipse and Prince of Wales'.

Foolishly had it in my head it was a 1m2f race. He's a horse I think a lot of and suspect he can pick a nice prize up like a French Group Two or something.

What does that mean exactly? Not good to soft, or not good to firm?

I think they mean genuinely good (i.e. not on the fast side), rather than necessarily the official description. They are looking ideally for a little ease in the going.

Saturday

1.55 Four year olds have won the last three renewals of this race and provided the first three home in 2008 (from Sporting Life!) but there are 10 in this field of 17 so that doesn't help a great deal! In complete contrast, if a decent amount of rain does fall I think Marvo might show that he caught a good'un last time out.

2.25 Surely Drill Sergeant will make it at a decent pace? Might this suit Nanton? We'll know at around 2.30 tomorrow.

3.40 I've never really been on the Amore Propre bandwagon, but Total Gallery interests me greatly for this. Borderlesscott would have to be a big danger, and Elnawin may run a big race at a big prce, but at 6/1+ I'll back Johnny Murtagh to keep up his good record on board TG.

4.15 Money around for Swilly Ferry this evening with the one bookie to price up the race, but another I expect to attract the cash tomorrow is Monsieur Joe. Stable enjoying a good time of it, small bet in competitive race.

4.50 Difficult. If the favourite doesn't win, the winner will be in blue.

5.25 Fascinating early betting. Black Spirit is shorter than I thought and Flip Flop much bigger, not sure which I'll end up on, probably both...

Could someone have a look at Record Breaker's recent Lingfield run and tell me why he's been dropped 5 lb to below his last winning mark. The ground may be softer than ideal today, but there's not a better handicapped horse in the race and if he's unable to prove it today, he will later in the season, Duke of Edinburgh perhaps?

As might be expected many of today's runners have their best results on good or G/f, particularly the latter. Not many exceptions to this however Mo Mhuirnin (spelling) looks better suited than many in the sprint. Have also had a small bet on record breaker following DJ's hint above. Rumoush is unbeaten and coukd be anything hence I've been on that one for some days now.
Dont underestimate the amount of rain last night. I had new and much better guttering put in last year and the deluge totally swampped it. Noah would have begun preparations last night.

Sorry Tout Seul. Presumably the ground was too soft for him and Hills gave him an easy time of things. A mile and half on a right handed track on good to firm and we should get our money back somewhere.

Mo Mhuirnin has shortened up a lot I got afew bob at the high 30's level now low 20's. Drawn on the right side.

Last edited:
Sorry Tout Seul. Presumably the ground was too soft for him and Hills gave him an easy time of things. A mile and half on a right handed track on good to firm and we should get our money back somewhere.

Record Breaker at Goodwood today, down another 3 lb, conditions in his favour. Fingers crossed. Notice Hugh Taylor has tipped him. Don't be leaving him out of your scoop 6 perm!

Thanks for posting DJ, whatever the result. Picked up a fair sum on Balducci which now goes on Record Breaker. Hopefully after that Kingsgate Native, a horse that has not really achieved my early expectations of him. That would make for a good day.

Oh well, gave it a good go and me a shout. Laid off stake at 2.1 so little damage (the place saver to cover the stake:mad:).

Record Breaker needed a faster run race..don't give up on it ..when a few more on pacers are present will do better..patently one paced off a slow pace..needs others coming back to him

Kingsgate goes in which means I would have been £5000 better off if Record Breaker had won ( Winnings on RB would have been additional bet on KN.).Aaaaargh!

Still a very profitable day.

Could someone have a look at Record Breaker's recent Lingfield run and tell me why he's been dropped 5 lb to below his last winning mark. The ground may be softer than ideal today, but there's not a better handicapped horse in the race and if he's unable to prove it today, he will later in the season, Duke of Edinburgh perhaps?

Out tonight at Hamilton in a 1m4f handicap off 89. What do you make of his chance, DJ?

Back