The Scottish National and Champion Hurdle Ayr Sun April 18th 2021

Seriously disappointing prizemoney for the SCH.

Pretty sure it was £100K in 2019. Now £40k?

That's a huge decrease.

Ahead of the National Hunt Chase I posted on the Longshot thread:

NHC - Soldier Of Love 33/1 - Galvin has been my fancy for this from the moment he chased home Imperial Aura last year and I backed him at 10/1 on the morning of his win here in October but obviously that was long before Royale Pagaille burst on to the scene. I still think Galvin will win easily now that RP is going for the Gold Cup but Soldier Of Love was second to Galvin here that day and I rate that race quite high. He disappointed on his only subsequent run - they blamed soft ground so the rain is a concern but it might also have come too soon - and should turn up here fresh and well. Frost in the saddle is a plus for a horse noted as jumping well in the Galvin race and I'm not convinced this one should be much longer than the same owner's (first colours) Next Destination (7/2).

I've just done the Ayr National at this one will be my main fancy. If it's anywhere near as good as I thought then, it has to have a serious shout here. Another Vicente, maybe?

Anyway, 10/1 might just be a steal.

Declarations for the Scottish National

Lake View Lad Aye Right Vintage Clouds Sam's Adventure Notachance Dingo Dollar Mighty Thunder Soldier of Love Oldgrangewood The Dutchman Some Chaos The Hollow Ginge Big River Claud And Goldie Coup de Pinceau Chapel Stile The Ferry Master Enqarde Cool Mix Mister Fogpatches Chidswell Chef d'Oeuvre Dino Boy

Declarations for the Scottish Champion Hurdle

Voix du Reve Diego du Charmil Milkwood Calico Thyme White Tommy's Oscar Anna Bunina Scarlet Dragon Miss Heritage Glory And Fortune

*** Voix du Reve declared so it means Diego du Charmil will only carry 1lb of his 7lb penalty and will race off a mark of 146 compared to its new mark of 148. ***

Last edited:
That's a shockingly small field for the Scottish National.

I'm just relieved Soldier Of Love is still in!!

Just for info, had a message re BBB who ran yesterday and have been told they have 'badly' mis-represented the ground...more good to firm in places/on firm side.

Thirded. Been waiting all year for this meeting to back it. Had a saver on it the other day and it showed much more than before.

Back