The Totegoldtrophy/Betfred trophy/Betfair Hurdle

• Thread starter Thread starter Marble
  • Start date Start date
M

Marble

Hi guys.

Can anyone tell me what the race that takes place at Newbury on the 11th February, over two miles and half a furlong is called now and who the actual sponsors are.

I thought it had swapped hands to Betfred as they now own the tote, but RP states it is now called the Betfair Hurdle. Unless there are two grade one hurdles on the same day and venue and I am completley mistaken.

Thanks in Advance.

Marb

Last edited:
It is now the Betfair Hurdle. They took over sponsorship when the AON was renamed the Betfair Denman Chase.

Looking at the current entries it has the potential to be a cracker.

Zakandar is the automatic fav for this but the big question is will he run?

He doesn't ned to be in the race to help keep weights down for another PN horse as Celestial Halo can do that so they must be at least half serious.

Zakandar is the automatic fav for this but the big question is will he run?

He doesn't ned to be in the race to help keep weights down for another PN horse as Celestial Halo can do that so they must be at least half serious.

They could well have Celestial halo in there to keep the weights down for him.

CH will push a fair few out of the handicap and you would have to fancy Zarkandar off of 10-12, only having to give 12lbs to horses that he must surely be significantly more superior too.

I know that it was mooted as a target but nothing definite yet. The 8/1 almost looks worth chancing because he must be a 3/1 chance on the day if he goes.

If they're serious about the Champion it makes more sense to run in this than some crappy five runner heat. On that basis 8/1 is a cracking price.

Champion Hurdler Persian War ran in and won it but you don't get many of them in a bag of coal and back then it was a much better race than what we get these days.

Zakandar could be an absolute steal if he really is a Champion Hurdle horse as there are no Persian Wars above him in the weights.

But then there could be a Punjabi below him ;) Never an easy race to win and more than a few handicap snips have been well beaten in it.

This race does produce some good horses that perform at the festival will a great deal of credit, I would take note of the winner who ever it happens to be.

I have had A Media Luz pencilled in for this for sometime now , infact she is in my TTF line targeting the Feb prize. The problem now is that Nicholls has control of the weights, if he runs CH or RR, A Media Luz runs 6lbs out if the handicap . Bearing in mind the above I would expect a lot of cards being held very close to ones chest and its not going to be an AP bet option. Ive also got a notion AML is a better horse right-handed ,so I might have to wait until Punchestown to lose my money.

I've been waiting for a perfect opportunity to lose more money on A Media Luz too. I am waiting for a flat sharp right handed track on goodish ground.

She's entered at Kempton this Saturday and that would be ideal.

I wouldn't think Newbury would be a good course for her, too open for a hard puller.

He's entered and a lot of speculation that he might be but, as yet, no official word from connections.

If he runs, I can only see him winning by more than 10 lengths but maybe Henderson should save that performance for the festival

if celestial halo runs he will be a couple of pounds out of the handicap.

Given the way he was ridden at taunton this could be the target for him
(as noted by zenyatta on another thread) he could strip fitter than zarakander allthough I dont see a problem in Nichols to get him fit

Well the cash is on and my fingers are crossed that all goes to plan.

Forget Darlan

Soldatino is the Henderson number 1 for this and has been since finishing 5th last season.

Bigger stronger he's one classy horse and will take all the beating :0) You heard it first here as they say in the movies :whistle:

Darlan has had a bit of a nightmare with the handicapper putting him up 9lbs to 146 after his win the other day. I suspect that was not in connections' plans.

Zarkandar remains on 151 so receives 14lbs from horses that Nicholls has said he is better than (Celestial Halo and Rock On Ruby) and only has to give 5lbs to Darlan, and no more than 12lbs to anything else. I should think that he is at least a stone well in, and probably more. I find it perplexing that his mark was dropped 3lbs for his win at Aintree. He wasn't impressive and the form wasn't good but he had every right to be below par after three quickish races, plus the abscess. How the handicapper has come to the conclusion that he needed dropping 3lbs is beyond me.

Soldatino, from 1lb out of the weights, is one of the more interesting opponents.

I must say if Zarkandar runs I would be mightily disappointed if he couldn't win and win well. If he doesn't run then the race takes a completely different complexion and a re-think will be required.

Last edited:
Well the cash is on and my fingers are crossed that all goes to plan.

Forget Darlan

Soldatino is the Henderson number 1 for this and has been since finishing 5th last season.

Bigger stronger he's one classy horse and will take all the beating :0) You heard it first here as they say in the movies :whistle:

Clearly you haven't seen either horse in the flesh.

Darlan will win this race 5-10 lengths.

Are you doing a blog on this Zenyatta, like the excellent one for the Gold Cup?

I haven't written a Blog post for this race as yet. I might do nearer the time, once the field is known. At the moment there are too many unknowns!

There is a link to the Blog in my signature so feel free to browse.

Darlan has had a bit of a nightmare with the handicapper putting him up 9lbs to 146 after his win the other day. I suspect that was not in connections' plans.

Zarkandar remains on 151 so receives 14lbs from horses that Nicholls has said he is better than (Celestial Halo and Rock On Ruby) and only has to give 5lbs to Darlan, and no more than 12lbs to anything else. I should think that he is at least a stone well in, and probably more. I find it perplexing that his mark was dropped 3lbs for his win at Aintree. He wasn't impressive and the form wasn't good but he had every right to be below par after three quickish races, plus the abscess. How the handicapper has come to the conclusion that he needed dropping 3lbs is beyond me.

Soldatino, from 1lb out of the weights, is one of the more interesting opponents.

I must say if Zarkandar runs I would be mightily disappointed if he couldn't win and win well. If he doesn't run then the race takes a completely different complexion and a re-think will be required.

I have severe doubts about Zarkandar taking part as it's much more Celestial Halo cuo of tea and PN has already said the fromer is not certain to take part.

Plus the very way he trains tells me he'd want an easier intro for Zakandar if he truly believes he's a Champion Hurdle horse. eg Kauto Star was never 100% oh his reappeance and you don't win this race 95% fit.

I don't get what you mean Soldatino 1lb out of the weights he's off 148 like he was last year.

Like Zarkandar Soldotino won the Triumph Hurdle, which is amazing considering how unfurbished he was back then

Darlan has won 4 poor novices the last one in a common canter but that's a long way off winning a Triumph Hurdle or a Betfair handicap.

I thought he was due to go up 5 lbs which was bad enough but 9 lbs?? Well if NH wanted an excuse to pull him out and keep him for the Supreme he's got one now.

Alarazi is very interetsing off 10st. He stood out like a sore thumb the ortther day as a horse well short of peak fitness cantering one minute and going flat as a pancake the next. Lucy Waldham makes no secret of the fact he's been laid out for this . He might just be worth a good ew bet.

Celestial Halo looks a danger to them all as the track is perfect for his run them into the ground tactics but I'll stick with Sodatino. The fact he looks like going straight there speaks volumes for his wellbeing. I suppose there still time but unlike last year he doesn't go to Ascot at the weekend

Last edited:
I think GetMeOutOfHere is a classy horse in the catagory of the Black Jack Kethcums, Wichita Linemans, Exotic Dancers, Albertas Runs, Don't Push It's and other half decent animals O Neill has had down the years.

My two worries are A) Paul Nicholls horses, and B) the fact that everytime GMOOH has run at Cheltenham he's lost his form afterwards. 2nd in the Supreme, 2nd at the festival 2011, both times he badly lost his form afterwards.

That said I don't think he had a particulary had race against Oscar Whisky last time so am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt as far as the Cheltenham pattern is concerned.

He'll only be carrying 6 pound more than two years ago if Rock On Ruby or Celestial Halo run, whilst he's actually 16 pound higher in the official handicap than back then.

Imo they should run him here and then leave him until Aintree, and possibly take him chasing next season. He can't get his head in front at Cheltenham, (at least over hurdles), and all giving him hard races there is doing is knocking the long term form out of him.

We'll see.

Last edited:
Plus the very way he trains tells me he'd want an easier intro for Zakandar if he truly believes he's a Champion Hurdle horse. eg Kauto Star was never 100% oh his reappeance and you don't win this race 95% fit.

He's never had a champion hurdler so maybe he should try a different approach.

Last edited:
He's never had a champion hurdler so maybe he should try a different approach.

Like what? Buy Hurricanee Fly ? :0)

Actually I think one of his best training feats of his career came when he almost won the Champion Hurdle with Celestial Halo.

Given the right horse at the right time PN will no doubt win the race but this looks an exceptional Champion Hurdle with very little chance of the main players not turning up for a change.

When you consider what finished 3rd last year and the fact the trainer is sending 2 or 3 others that are much better suited to the race in Binocular, Grandouet and Spirit Son, Hurricane Fly is going to find life much tougher this time round.

I just don't think running a virtual novice in a race like the Betfair Hurdle is the way to go and I can't believe this has been the plan all along..

The fact is he'll need to be 100% to win then it's back to square one, let him down rest him then bring him back top peak fitness for the big one.

Sound easy but far from it.

PN could send him there 95% fot and tell Ruby win if you can but under no circumstances give him a hard race.

If he hacks up no harm done if he blows up 3 out but has run well to a point then that too could seen as be a step in the right direction.

I just couldn't back him as his number 1 priority is the Champion Hurdle and Ruby's number 1 will be looking after the horse and winning will be secondry..

Last edited:
I think GetMeOutOfHere is a classy horse in the catagory of the Black Jack Kethcums, Wichita Linemans, Exotic Dancers, Albertas Runs, Don't Push It's and other half decent animals O Neill has had down the years.

My two worries are A) Paul Nicholls horses, and B) the fact that everytime GMOOH has run at Cheltenham he's lost his form afterwards. 2nd in the Supreme, 2nd at the festival 2011, both times he badly lost his form afterwards.

That said I don't think he had a particulary had race against Oscar Whisky last time so am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt as far as the Cheltenham pattern is concerned.

He'll only be carrying 6 pound more than two years ago if Rock On Ruby or Celestial Halo run, whilst he's actually 16 pound higher in the official handicap than back then.

Imo they should run him here and then leave him until Aintree, and possibly take him chasing next season. He can't get his head in front at Cheltenham, (at least over hurdles), and all giving him hard races there is doing is knocking the long term form out of him.

We'll see.
AP says if he goes chasing you can ride him cos he's not going there :lol: Last time they tried to school him Jonjo's dog put his chin on the ground pulled his paws over his ears cringed and closed his eyes.

Yogi Bresner took one look and said "Get Me Out Of Here" and Jonjo said how did you know his name :lol:

They did say they might give schooling another go but that has changed to stepping him up in trip to find out if he stays 3 miles as Big Bucks won't be around forever. There must be a slight chance if Kauto is badly beaten in the Gold Cup PN retires him that Big Buck's having done it all over hurdles will atempt to take over the mantle from Kauto and have a crack at next season's King George and Gold Cup. PN has said in the past he might go back to chasing in the future, time will tell.

Last edited:
Back