The Walsh's

I don't remember too much before that to be honest TT - aside from backing Fiveforthree ante-post. Don't think Mullins Jnr covered himself in glory yesterday (not for the first time this season) - couldn't even steer Day In A Lifetime.

I don't remember too much before that to be honest TT - aside from backing Fiveforthree ante-post. Don't think Mullins Jnr covered himself in glory yesterday (not for the first time this season) - couldn't even steer Day In A Lifetime.

In fairness the horse was seriously lit up yesterday - looked a nightmare ride trapped out wide.

Seriously lit up is even an understatement Gal - it was pulling his ring out, verging on almost bolting with him!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/highlights.html

You can listen here to an interview with the Walsh family from last Saturday's Marian Finucane show.

Katie says she was so thrilled to have won that she couldn't keep the smile off her face while in the stewards' room and wouldn't have known the difference if she'd got 4 days or 40.

There's also a radio documentary about the Carberrys which is interesting. Paul claims that he never looks at form before a race, he canters down to the start and finds out down there from talking to the other jockeys who's fancied and who intends to do what and takes it from there.

I found it interesting that some wag saw fit to send a letter to the RP a few days ago saying what a disgrace it was that Katie Walsh received a whip ban when she should really have been held up as an example for her correct use of the whip. He can't have been watching her ride in the County Hurdle then when she used her whip in an illegal manner, hitting the horse down the shoulder in the forehand position.

I found it interesting that some wag saw fit to send a letter to the RP a few days ago saying what a disgrace it was that Katie Walsh received a whip ban when she should really have been held up as an example for her correct use of the whip. He can't have been watching her ride in the County Hurdle then when she used her whip in an illegal manner, hitting the horse down the shoulder in the forehand position.

I saw that letter as well - very nearly bothered to reply. Just another example of people seeing things how they want to see them. In my opinion she 'escaped' with a four-day ban.

Looks as if all the publicity has got her a ride for Henderson tomorrow - despite riding few winners in Irish bumpers this year. Pretty sure the girl who was placed behind Mizzurka in the recent Sandown bumper would be just as effective.

He can't have been watching her ride in the County Hurdle then when she used her whip in an illegal manner, hitting the horse down the shoulder in the forehand position.

I've noticed that before too, Shadow, when she won the amateur's race at Cheltenham in November 2008 (I think). Redhead II was quite outraged that she wasn't called in for it.

Nina Carberry didn't look well when I saw her the first day.

I saw that letter as well - very nearly bothered to reply. Just another example of people seeing things how they want to see them. In my opinion she 'escaped' with a four-day ban.

Looks as if all the publicity has got her a ride for Henderson tomorrow - despite riding few winners in Irish bumpers this year. Pretty sure the girl who was placed behind Mizzurka in the recent Sandown bumper would be just as effective.

That would be Gina Andrews on Risaala Treetangle - very good horsewoman IMO though lacks strength in a finish, rides primarily on the East Anglian point to point circuit though does ride out of area at times.

Ruby has been first class in his new role on RTE, the man has an amazing memory and knowledge of racing. Almost a shame to see him go back to the saddle.:cool:

Ruby might have saved the inrunning punters a few quid yesterday. Tony O'Hehir, 'we've lost Freney's Wells there'. Ruby (immediately), 'that's Freney's Wells' (in the lead).

Ruby's in-running commentary and his paddock commentary on pretty much every horse in the handicap hurdle was absolutely outstanding yesterday. Very insightful.

He also stated Mourad won't run "for the stick" which has made me re-evaluate his potential more so than being beaten has.

Id heard a story that Ruby and AP are never off the phone talling about the days racing etc. It has shown this week, he might not smile but he has brilliant. Predicted Twist Magic would refuse stands out to me.

Ruby seems to have changed from not telling you the time of
day to calling it as he sees it over the last few months.The change must be welcomed -this time last year I Would have hit the mute button if he was on the telly.

Last edited:
Ruby just used his example of nearly winning on Kauto Star was an example of remounting a horse being ok....

Back