Thyestes Chase

Most likely no.
He has won all seven 100k handicap chases this season according to RP article today.
Back in the day when Tom Dreaper farmed Thyestes, Leopardstown and Irish GN he rarely had summer chasers to run in Galway plate or Kerry Nash.
Looking at old Paddy Power Leop racecards here the years JP had 7, 8 or 9 runners no trainer had more than one or two of those.
The long shadow of Giggi once again concentrated in one yard with a little help from others for Elliott, who has 6 to 11 runners in those valuable races this season.

It's clearly part of a well orchestrated plan and an interesting one when it comes to the Festival isn't it.

On one hand the UK handicapper is likely to be taking a very close look at anything he sends over, but on the other the shear volume is helping him to hide them away.

What I also find interesting is that Gigi say they have no interest in handicaps, but given Micheal O'Leary's propensity to squeeze every last cent out of anything he does (including from Willie seemingly!), then I'd say that statement is more designed to throw people off the scent.

Either way I'd suggest Gordon Elliott will have some serious handicap ammo for March, and it may well be worth looking at some of the less obvious ones who have been trotting around down the field in these big handicaps getting just the mark he wants.

Last edited:
Bonny Kate ew in this at 12s. Also think Hardline will give Getabird something to think about in the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a pop at Roi Des Francs ew 6 places 25/1.

Not obviously well handicapped but just a hunch he might be a lot better than we've been allowed to see so far this season.

Champagne West - Won as he liked last time and beat some good yardsticks in the process. There's always a possibility he will fall over, but if he doesn't, he'd have a good chance as he is clearly in rude health. Henry De Bromhead has arguably found some improvement in him since he left England. I don't know why that is - I feel the last day was eye-catching. There's juice in the price at 14/1, he'll probably be shorter upon being declared. I might even have a nibble at 100/1 for the Gold Cup each way for some fanciful excitement (in the hope or expectation he wins nicely on Thursday).

Ps, I've got a lawyer at hand if anyone wants me sectioned for the above post. :)

Well done Martin

Cheers everyone. I wish I'd saved my January bank on the anti-post Cheltenham thread now, but blew it earier in the month.

I think your right Edgt. If this progression continues he could grab a place in the Gold Cup.
Jumped perfectly today, made one error, but apart from that, he was good.

I wouldn't be comfortable offering more than 25/1 if I was a bookie.

Last edited:
Nice shout, Marb.

Great Field, who I was all over like a rash for the County in March, has just hacked-up in a novice chase, and I didn't even notice he was a runner.

Please shoot me.

Great shout Marble.I made it to Gowran today; the wind chill must have been -5c - it wasn't much fun. Nothing came from off the pace all day and, as most horses hate wind, I would forgive some of the more disappointing performances. That being said, Champagne West was a class above and to win off that rating was a superb achievement - the 100/1 looks a great price now. Congratulations.

Top punting Marble. The aftertimer in me will say I was sorely tempted to back him but the lure of 6 places e/w was too much and with him the danger was whether he'd get round so I could have been getting 15 places and it would have made little difference should he fall. Basically broke even in the end backing Ucello Conti e/w.

Some people deny it but Champagne West has regained his confidence he was always a bloody good horse

Back