Tidal Bay

firstpastthepost

At the Start
tidal bay didn't look to enjoy the 2miles didn't seem to jump at a really fast pace hopefully his connections go for the royal sun alliance chase instead.Looks a good bet at 8-1 for the royal now.

€30K matched at 1.03 or lower including a couple of grand at 1.01.Whoever did that needs locking up.How can a horse who is a dodgy jumper be a good bet for any race over fences at the festival.

Tidal Bay has the look of becoming a gold mine over fences like Black Jack Ketchum was over hdls.

I remember posting up here straight away after his chasing run at Aintree that his jumping there looked very iffy to me. Others seem to take plenty of positives out of it....but I thought he would be found out at pace.

He made an absolute howler of the last - Kauto Star style. Wouldn't rule him out of winning a big novice chase at the Festival just would steer well clear of the Arkle with him.

Was impressed by him personally, complete howler at the last as Martin says and he then battled back only to be denied.

The reason 1.03 and 1.01 was taken was probably because he was 3L clear with no chance of defeat but for a serious error or a fall at the last;

Had he not made the mistake he would have won. Lets not forget Leslingtaylor beat Marodima in excellent style at the start of the season and he has solid form but for his last run where he was given a shocker of a ride, going warp 10 out in front.

Personally don't think Tidal Bay is a bad jumper but could do with a stronger pace to sit off, that he would definitely get in the Arkle, many a lesser horse and rider would have departed at the last today under that error.

However chasing performance by a novice of the day goes to The Market Man, who lacked fitness and jumped novicey throughout. Got in close to 2 or 3 but still ran on well in defeat behind a race fit Silverburn who had conditions to suit today.

He will be one that I will be keen on backing next time out, proving its in 3 weeks time or more.

"He made an absolute howler of the last - Kauto Star style."

Same image came to my mind, Martin.............and you know the common denominator don't you..............yes, Ruby. :P

Sam Thomas rides Kauto Sta, no last fence horror, to my knowledge Tidal Bay hasn't made a last fence blunder like that for Denis O'Reagan.

Just coincidence of course.

Chris thanks for explaining why the 1.01 was taken before they jumped the last-all he had to do was jump it cleanly to win.

It's been suggested to me this evening that Ruby tried to deliberatly 'crash him'. I personally find it difficult to believe that any jock would take such a risk? But the last and the open ditch were given to me as evidence? I'm a poor judje of jockeyship, which is why I rarely comment on such subjects (I'll stick to the bits I think i know about). I'm seriously struggling to belive this could be true though? Those of you, who understand how to ride a horse, please lay on?

Originally posted by LUKE@Feb 3 2008, 01:03 AM
Chris thanks for explaining why the 1.01 was taken before they jumped the last-all he had to do was jump it cleanly to win.
Luke: lots of the really big pro big hitters on BF have their setups programmed to take 102 or 1.01 or whatever automatically - they aren't sitting there punching buttons. 99 out of 100 times when a price reaches a certain low, it means the horse is clear to win. But sometimes these guys get stung! - as the machine just does as it's told. That's why Betfair's nickname is The Machine :P

Originally posted by Warbler@Feb 3 2008, 01:24 AM
It's been suggested to me this evening that Ruby tried to deliberatly 'crash him'. I personally find it difficult to believe that any jock would take such a risk?
Ludicrous, of course he wouldn't take a risk like that. Apart from risking killing a very valuable property, he would risk killing or crippling himself. There's no way you can control a fall, it's in the hands of fate. Lots of horses fall at the last, it's when they are really tired AND making max effort - or being called on for it anyway. And what on earth would be the point of doing something both so foolhardy AND so immoral?

Itf you'd ever ridden at a fence and known you weren't going to get over - but it was too late to stop - you'd never want to put yourself through that sickening feeling deliberately, believe me :rolleyes:

can' t believe they booked such an amateur today.
He's well known as a "rush of blood" jockey at the last fence :P

Personally, after yesterday's race I'd much prefer to see him line up for the Arkle. What he showed was he has the basic speed to win the race, which was a doubt many expressed. His jumping hasn't looked up to scratch so far, but I would imagine his schooling will be stepped up a gear now. I don't know if HJ uses anyone else for his errant jumpers, but a spell with Yogi wouldn't go amiss.

On that subject I have a small concern about how well some of the novices in the yard are schooled. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that it's an area where they fall short, in particular I could put forward many of the novice hurdlers even some of the very best ones, who look as though they've never seen a hurdle before their debut's.

Originally posted by Headstrong+Feb 3 2008, 03:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Headstrong @ Feb 3 2008, 03:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LUKE@Feb 3 2008, 01:03 AM
Luke: lots of the really big pro big hitters on BF have their setups programmed to take 102 or 1.01 or whatever automatically - they aren't sitting there punching buttons. 99 out of 100 times when a price reaches a certain low, it means the horse is clear to win. But sometimes these guys get stung! - as the machine just does as it's told. That's why Betfair's nickname is The Machine :P [/b][/quote]
Can you name me one pro who has a programme to automatically take 1.02 or 1.01.This would be absolute madness-have you any idea how many 1.01's get chinned.It would make no sense to back a horse on the basis that its 1.01 -no more then it would make sense to back a horse just because it was 1000.

Surely that victory by Albertas Run has gotta convince HJ to run him in the RSA. Joe Lively was always a v/poor favourite for the race.

Impressive enough for his first run. Looks to me like he will stay firther. King George might be on the minds of connections

Could be an absolute cracking renewal of the king George this year.

kauto star
tidal bay
voy por ustedes
exotic dancer
our vic

Back