Tidal Bay

Nick Mordins view on the subject;

VOY POR USTEDES LOOKING GOOD FOR KING GEORGE
Proof that VOY POR USTEDES (38) was never a natural two miler is that, unlike most of the top casers over the minimum trip, he's never been best fresh. He's a big, rather gross horse that always comes on for his seasonal debut. I'm sure that will prove the case again this year following his promising fourth place finish in the Old Roan Chase at Aintree.
Voy Por Ustedes was never far off the lead and staged a rally on the run in after being knocked back by a blunder at the second last. Watching him run made it clear that he's almost certainly going to prove effective over three miles in the King George. He's already run fast enough to win an average renewal of that contest and looks set to run a big race at Kempton.

Can I say that in my opinion one of the biggest misconceptions in racing is that a horse that doesnt really stay 3m might stay 3m at Kempton in a King George.

In recent years horses like Native Upmanship, Racing Demon, Monets Garden, Fondmort, to name a few have stepped up to tackle the distance and failed. Often travelling best out of the back straight. Remittance Man a few years back also. I suppose Edredon Bleu might give supporters some hope but that was an exceptional year where more than most in the field were horses that were best over 2m4f. Those who were proper 3m failed to run their race. (Edredon Bleu beat Tiutchev with Fondmort in fouth - miles back to the rest)

I think to win a King George, you need to stay 3m properly, not simply get away with it via tactics on a sharp track. Especially if 180+ horses are in opposition. I go odds against he stays, and longer odds he stays and is good enough to beat KS.

Can I say that in my opinion one of the biggest misconceptions in racing is that a horse that doesnt really stay 3m might stay 3m at Kempton in a King George.

In recent years horses like Native Upmanship, Racing Demon, Monets Garden, Fondmort, to name a few have stepped up to tackle the distance and failed. Often travelling best out of the back straight. Remittance Man a few years back also. I suppose Edredon Bleu might give supporters some hope but that was an exceptional year where more than most in the field were horses that were best over 2m4f. Those who were proper 3m failed to run their race. (Edredon Bleu beat Tiutchev with Fondmort in fouth - miles back to the rest)

I think to win a King George, you need to stay 3m properly, not simply get away with it via tactics on a sharp track. Especially if 180+ horses are in opposition. I go odds against he stays, and longer odds he stays and is good enough to beat KS.

I think the easy King George theory comes because it is always compared with the Gold Cup trip. Clearly you need to stay three miles well to win a King George but speed is clearly handy on a track like that.

Back