Tikets for Sporting Events

an capall

Senior Jockey
Greetings.

My 2 sons and I want to do a special trip next year, 2024, 12-21 July. We want to take in a day at Wimbledon, 2nd Test at Trent Bridge, 18th July, 1st day, and then up to Troon for the Saturday of the Open Championship.

I'd like to get to the July Cup at Newmarket on 13th, but this might be tough as they are equine atheists.

Tickets are allocated by ballot so (a) not sure if I can secure any at all and (b) date is out of my control.

Do any of you good folk have any routes/info/hacks/contacts that could help me in my quest?

Thanks

AC

I had no idea how hard it was to get tickets for Wimbledon.

Mrs O likes the tournament, especially the latter stages (of course), and I thought I'd surprise her for her 60th birthday some years back. I went online in the April of that year, naively expecting it to be easy to get a ticket for the final, only to find out they'd been sold out about a year earlier.

Maybe her 70th...

Good luck, An.

Must be annoying how certain tv people like weather reporters etc manage to get to these events no problem.

I have friends who queue up overnight to get into a day's play at Wimbledon. I think they're mad but they say it's all quite enjoyable.

If your two sons refuse to go to Newmarket with you, it is not because they are racing atheists, it is because they are barbarians. Like my own juniors, alas.

Wimbledon : if it's 'easier' to get a general entry ticket and just wonder round the outside courts see a lot of the top players, even if playing doubles, could you try that? A friend and I did that a couple pf times and really had great days there. I would love to watch the wheelchair tennis matches, and only last couple of year they have been on a main court. As Gordon Reid said 'back in 2008 when I first played on court 647 it was three men and a dog, and my Mum and sister watching.' This year they were on court one for the doubles finals. He and Alfie Hewitt have won the last 15 grand slams doubles titles I think.. they'd be Sir Alfie and Sir Gordon years ago if they were 'able bodied'. Think you can book those rather than ballot.
Cricket - if it rains.....
Troon - do you know anyone with connections to a golf pro who knows someone who knows....
July Cup.... I'd personally swerve as hate Newmarket but each to own obviously! Photographers get an additional badge for 'helpers' of which most don't exist, could have a word with a couple to save you a bit? Ask plenty in advance for those in case but I've gotten in like that years ago and I know someone still does on the back of her husbands' supposed official photographer for a foreign racing body status.

Last edited:
I remember I won a competition in the old Handicap Book. We were asked to take the previous six winners of the PTS Laurels and say how they'd finish if they raced against each other off the same handicap mark as when they won, and what the distances between them would be. I got the six in the right order and four of the correct distances.

My prize, which I was really looking forward to, was two free entry tickets to Goodwood on PTS Laurels day that year. When the prize came through in the post, that's all it was, plus a voucher for the car park :lol:

They were expecting me/us (I'd have taken the brother) to make our way down to Goodwood and sort accommodation to the course all at my/our own expense. I've never been so disappointed, other than Rachel Riley and Carol Vorderman turning me down for a threesome.

Last edited:
I remember I won a competition in the old Handicap Book. We were asked to take the previous six winners of the PTS Laurels and say how they'd finish if they raced against each other off the same handicap mark as when they won, and what the distances between them would be. I got the six in the right order and four of the correct distances.

My prize, which I was really looking forward to, was two free entry tickets to Goodwood on PTS Laurels day that year. When the prize came through in the post, that's all it was, plus a voucher for the car park :lol:

They were expecting me/us (I'd have taken the brother) to make our way down to Goodwood and sort accommodation to the course all at my/our own expense. I've never been so disappointed, other than Rachel Riley and Carol Vorderman turning me down for a threesome.

Recently Goodwood via the ROA invited me for a free lunch at the recent Goodwood Festival. Who doesn't like a freebie, so I read on further. It turned out it was lunch in the car park with no racing included!!!

Recently Goodwood via the ROA invited me for a free lunch at the recent Goodwood Festival. Who doesn't like a freebie, so I read on further. It turned out it was lunch in the car park with no racing included!!!

The brother and his family took in the Friday of Ascot this year. They thoroughly enjoyed (and recommended) it. They said the prices were perfectly reasonable considering the occasion. They said they got talking to a woman at a neighbouring table who was a serious racegoer. She said Goodwood is by a long long way the most expensive place to go racing. That would be enough to put me off.

Back