Tingle Creek Likely runners?

Yes, that's exactly right, Steve. Knowledgeable, cheery, and truly supportive of the horses and all connections. You got the sense that the majority were there to enjoy their favourite horses, not to gamble themselves senseless, although I know there's masses of punting. But the overall feeling was of thorough enjoyment of the horses, and appreciation of good riding, good training, and delight for the owners. I look forward to going again in future.

It just came too soon for Big Zeb. He's best fresh and irrespective of how easy a race you think he had at Navan, it was 2 miles on heavy ground against a 140 rated horse (I think). He was very quiet at the start and normally pulls through a race. The fact he had to travel too would not have helped. But anyway, tiz done now. If Twist Magic had beaten For Paddy in a photo, people would be saying he bottled out of a winnable race to pick up easy races at home. At the end of the day, no one died and he will be back for Cheltenham and more importantly, IMO, Punchestown where he has done well before.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion when 2 of his best 3 runs were within a month or less of a previous run.

I just think he's not as good as people think. He wouldn't have got close to Twist no matter how he ran on Saturday.

Trying to think of an angle on the QMCC - I wonder is the 8s available on Twist Magic the way to go. Nicholls was adamant he hasn't had him right the last 2 seasons come Cheltenham, the track was fine in his Arkle run, and with doubts about his stablemate, he could well be the bet.

I just think he's not as good as people think

But I'm sure even you didn't think he'd run that badly so clearly there was something wrong??

We've been through this before Hamm and all I'm saying is what connections think.

On your stats: Last season he won a grade 1 first time out (proving he goes well fresh and three of his six wins have come after 5 month break)and then fell on his next two starts, had an easy enough race on GOOD ground and then ran a blinder against Master Minded. The previous season he fell at the first at Leopardstown and ran a few days later and won, then fell again at the first at Gowran before finishing second to J'y Vole six weeks after his previous completed start. You could say that he ran on soft ground at Fairyhouse after that and followed up at Punchestown a month later which was a quick follow up. The previous season, his second to Sizing Europe was within six weeks of an easy 12l win of a bad maiden hurdle.

No, I didn't think he'd run that bad but I don't rate him as much as most.

I think though connections are very much wrong as to the reason - it's a fact that 2 of his best 3 runs have come after a month or less. I don't mind you saying that in the slightest, and am equally as interested as to what you think!

Maybe the horse wasn't in the best possible condition for the race (I don't know), but the trainer blaming the length of break since his previous race is wide of the mark.

Jeez.

Yes, i was as if he was this superstar several on here seem to think he is, then I would like to see him tested as opposed to winning slow run races in Ireland where his competition is likely to be Watson Lake.

I have not seen anyone on here suggest he is a superstar. But in the build up to the Tingle Creek your arguement was that "the best" should take on "the best" in the big races ala the Tingle Creek - yet after the horse clearly disappoints your happy to come on and say the horse was never good enough in the first place.

Perhaps if you felt the horse was never good enough he probably should have been taking on Watson Lake and co in Ireland.

By virtue of the fact he was generally considered (never by me - markets on talk in various places about him) to be close to the top two miler, I said the only race for him in December was the Tingle Creek. I don't see what was so controversial about that.

I was very much against him, especially at the track, but chose the wrong one.

I would fancy myself to become a very rich man if you had Tingle Creek 15/8 favourites like Big Zeb every year.

Maybe the horse wasn't in the best possible condition for the race (I don't know), but the trainer blaming the length of break since his previous race is wide of the mark.

Ok Hamm, I have a question for you. Can I ask you to characterise Big Zeb? What type of a horse is he. You've obviously studied his trends and know the horse inside out from seeing him race and that's why you backed against him in the Tingle Creek. How would you describe him as an individual??

I know it has been mentioned here before that you don't have to be able to ride a horse to know how it should be ridden and equally I guess you don't need to know how to train a horse to know if someone has made a complete mess. However, people got Brave Inca wrong a number of times (including in running lay punters) and it is possible that connections knnow more than an outsider. So just interested in your views on his character which will influence how he runs.

Cantoris,

You shouldn't take it personally; I'm not having a go at you in any way, and criticising a horse of Colm Murphy's that is in my opinion over-hyped or criticising Murphy himself for an excuse that is factually wide of the mark, surely isn't such a big deal.

First of all, I think the name of the game is jumping and he's not very good at it. It's all well and good when you hear people say if a horse jumps better, but to me the horse should be brought flat racing in that case.

Secondly, he's clearly very good at beating what is unfortunately a poor generation of Irish 2 milers in soft ground in relatively slow run races. He very much improved when running Master Minded close, though I believe we didn't see the true MM that day (as much as Big Zeb definitely improved).

He may well improve to be a near top class 2 mile chaser, but he hasn't shown the form so far to suggest that be the case, and for me, is usually priced as if he's already done it. He's a horse I like having around as he will make the market (when MM is not running) for others who I fancy more.

You shouldn't take it personally

I don't.

What I do find interesting is that I asked you about the horse himself and all you've said is he can't jump. I'm bold enough to say that I think he lives on his nerves and as a result is likely to blow out a few days. But the only reason I think this is from seeing him in his box, on the gallops and in his away work. But this is something you are not privy to. Whether it makes any difference or if he is not good enough is the question but you should go and see him and make up your own mind.

Back