Tony Mccoy

Taken to hospital with lower back pain :( Fell from Arnold Layne in the big one & was in the middle of the pack so not exactly sure whether it was the fall or a kick.

by Turia Tellwright

CHAMPION jockey Tony McCoy was on Saturday night facing the prospect of a spell on the sidelines as he underwent x-rays after suffering a crashing fall aboard Arnold Layne in the totesport.com Classic Chase at Warwick.

Early reports suggested that McCoy may have damaged vertebrae and were the injuries to be confirmed he would be in danger of missing the Cheltenham Festival in mid-March.

It was at the track on New Year's Day that he rode his 150th winner at Cheltenham, a track where he won the Gold Cup on Mr Mulligan in 1997.

McCoy came to grief aboard the 3-1 favourite at the 14th fence and was later taken to a Coventry hospital for x-rays on his lower back.

The 12-time champion is this season well in the lead in his quest to retain the title, lying 56 winsclear of nearest rival Richard Johnson.

After McCoy left Warwick on his way to hospital, clerk of the course Fiona Needham said: "Tony is going for further assessment to his lower back.

"He is still on a stretcher, but is conscious and is talking."

Racegoers and television viewers watched as McCoy lay prone on the track and was quickly attended to by medical personnel. He was seen to be fitted with a neck brace before being carefully loaded into a waiting ambulance.
The 33-year-old is on Sunday booked for three rides at Leopardstown for his retainer JP McManus, Perce Rock in the Grade 2 novice chase, Wins Now in beginners' chase and King Johns Castle in Pierse Leopardstown Chase.

Discussions were taking place on Saturday nightabout replacements but of more concern for McManus would be a long-term absence for McCoy.

McManus will be expected to have a string of leading fancies for the Cheltenham Festival although he is not represented in the totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup. McCoy is expected to team up once again with Sir Robert Ogden's Exotic Dancer who last season finished two and a half lengths runner-up to Kauto Star.

“The fall was bad enough, but he got a pretty good kicking as well and he's got a lot of pain from bothsides of his lower back,” Jonjo O'Neill told reporters at Warwick.

“However, he was moving his legs alright and he's so tough that you can guarantee that he won't be out of action for a second longer than necessary.”

Quote 'were the injuries to be confirmed he would be in danger of missing the Cheltenham Festival in mid-March'

I think the main concern at the moment is his well being & not whether he will miss Cheltenham or not!

Latest from what they have said on ATR is that hes comfortable but early x-rays have been inconclusive & he will have more. :(

First thing I thought of when they said "lower back pain" was his movement of his legs. Fingers crossed they've X-rayed him etc. and he'll be just fine :)

I'm sure J P McManus is a lot more worried right now about AP himself rather than who's going to be riding his horses at Cheltenham.

Fingers crossed.

i thought the horse broke his neck and then landed on the jockey with his back legs hopefully we don't see anymore injury's to jockeys or horses for a while the sport has had a few of them this season.

Casey's fall was horrible. When they don't pick up and throw you in the air, its a long way down. Hope he is ok. McCoy's been very lucky over the years with injuries and lets hope he hasnt used all his luck. Even if he did come back, anything in your back will eventually finish your career

For such a horrible fall latest news is he’s concussed but otherwise okay, thankfully. Stood down, naturally.

According to the RP, McCoy has fractured his T12 vertebrae but the doctors are optimistic he'll be back in time for the Festival; he's looking at around 6 weeks off. Gee [Bradburne] describes him as being "uncomfortable" - I'd be willing to bet it's a little more than that!

With the kicking my lower back received Friday maybe I should go see AP, we could compare bruises and swelling!!!!!!

With the kicking my lower back received Friday maybe I should go see AP, we could compare bruises and swelling!!!!!!

We always said that mouth of yours would get you in trouble one day SL.... :P

Ah no hope your not too bad. Nothing worse than a bad or even awkward fall particularly the next morning. Hope your on the mend.

Alan Lee in The Times

It was foul at Huntingdon on Friday. Glowering skies, teeming rain and hock-deep mud. The track was barely raceable and many of the drenched and desolate present were praying for a pragmatic abandonment. Not an auspicious stage, then, for the most astounding ride most of us will ever witness.

Tony McCoy wore his practised gloom with an extra grimace as he went out for the 1.20 race. It was a low-grade handicap chase and he had inherited an unappealing mount. Adare Prince was a disappointing horse, a maiden who had pulled up on his one previous attempt at fences. He started at 9-1 in a poor field and, for much of the race, that looked way too short.

Fence after fence saw Adare Prince obstinately declined to do McCoy's bidding. He would put in a needless extra stride, or drag his legs mulishly through the birch. Most jockeys would have given up.

This murky, miserable scene, however, was about to be illuminated by genius. McCoy did not bully with the whip - his terms of employment by McManus prohibit it. Instead, he engaged in a battle of will and determination that the horse was destined to lose.

Urging his reluctant mount to pass beaten animals, he turned into the straight sixth. More cajoling carried him to third approaching the final fence but the first two were five lengths clear and everyone knows you cannot make up such a deficit on heavy ground.

McCoy was not listening. He hurled Adare Prince at the last, then galvanised him to a sprint of which the horse doubtless considered himself incapable. The ground was clawed back thrillingly, McCoy's final, superhuman effort claiming the lead as the post flashed past.

He has ridden implausible winners before, of course, too frequently to count. But this was something else, a tour de force on an undeserving horse in a humble handicap on one of the most unpleasant afternoons of winter. Only McCoy could have contrived such a cocktail.

That he did it the day before suffering one of the worst - and most untimely - falls of his career was irony enough. But he also produced this ride on a day when whispering had begun about his future in the game.

Someone had noticed he was building stables at his Lambourn home and wondered if he might start training. From there, it was but a step to extended gossip over whether McCoy at 33, a husband and father, could possibly retain the appetite for race-riding that made him what he is. That one, stunning ride provided the answer.

McCoy will never train - he could not bear having to listen to so many owners imposing their own ideas on him - and nor will he ride into his dotage. One day he will get up and decide he doesn't relish his spartan routine any more, and he will stop. But not for a while yet.

This morning, he will be chafing with exasperation, absorbing the form of horses he cannot ride. Cheltenham will consume his thoughts. Some of us, though, want him back for different reasons, different venues. For only he can imbue the likes of Huntingdon on foulest Friday with an uplifting magic.

Originally posted by Galileo@Jan 13 2008, 07:37 PM

We always said that mouth of yours would get you in trouble one day SL.... :P

Ah no hope your not too bad. Nothing worse than a bad or even awkward fall particularly the next morning. Hope your on the mend.
Ah, that must be it Gal - I was telling her "no you don't you hoor" all the way down the side of the gallops during a bit of fast work!!!!! She still cocked her jaw and galloped through a hedge though!!

I'm surviving, just - anyone who knows me will know that it's not that trivial if I'm not riding for a few days and contemplating having the next 3/4 days off as well! Painkillers, arnica and vodka the order of the day......:D

Cheers for the kind words too :)

Hope you feel better soon SL.......In my experience of falls etc... bruises and swellings can sometimes be a hell of a lot more painful and uncomfortable than some breaks....Vodka sounds good though :)

I'm glad I didn't see the David Casey fall live and that I already knew not to fear the worst.

And Ms Shadow, you take care now. Be selective about which bruises you choose to show off, and to whom!

And I thought McCoy had an easy time with the injuries:

Tony McCoy Injury Factfile

Broken Leg 1992 Six Months

Back Injury May 1998 6 weeks

Concussion July 2000 21 days

Broken Ankle 2001/02 season 0 days (never told anyone)

Injured Shoulder February 2003 9 days

Broken Collarbone March 2003 17 days

Broken Arm June 2003 9 weeks

Triple fracture to left Cheekbone February 2004 9 days

Dislocated Right Thumb November 2004 10 days

Four broken teeth December 2005 0 days

Broken Right Wrist July 2006 9 weeks

I like the "never told anyone" piece. How can you ride with a broken ankle??!!

I guess it's possible Cantoris. I broke my wrist and didn't find out till I had my arm x-rayed two years later and the nurse asked me when I'd broken it :laughing:

Back