Top Irish trainer facing drugs charges

I remember him running a 1000/1 shot behind Generous & Suave Dancer.When I lived in London I knew an above average property developer -the Comer name came up in a conversation -I called him a clown but I was left in no doubts that he is a very big fish worth hundreds of millions.I still don't get the agenda with the horses-it's possibly something he does for pure enjoyment/relaxation -there seems to be no interest in gambles or a commercially successful stud.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...er-buys-wicklow-stud-farm-for-2-53m-1.3268842

He's still adding to his portfolio. I wonder if he's hoping that some day these stud farms he's buying on the fringes of greater Dublin can be turned into housing estates.

I read the article earlier today and that's exactly what I thought.I think how winners since 1990 could be counted on the fingers of one hand -the hard cash is definitely coming from somewhere else.

https://www.irishracing.com/blog-item?headline=Yes-Minister&prid=186675

As Brian O'Connor reports, breeding industry representatives in Ireland are still refusing to agree to drug testing on stud farms. This has been going on for nearly two years now in spite of announcements at several stages that an agreement was imminent. The latest announcement was two months ago, when Horse Racing Ireland stepped in to try and broker an agreement. What a disgrace.

It's taken an age to put in place, but Irish racing finally seems to have agreement for an anti-doping control strategy that allows testing at stud farms, pre-training stables and anywhere else where prospective racehorses or temporarily out-of-competition horses are to be found. It is surely a big step forward, even if the IHRB is not happy with the requirement to give operators 24 hours notice of random tests. Twenty four hours is enough time to get rid of unauthorised items before anyone sees them but is it likely to make much difference to the outcome of a drug test?

Fair play by the way to Brian O'Connor for keeping an eye on this issue and hopefully he will continue to report on its implementation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/racing/hri-board-unanimously-approves-new-anti-doping-policy-1.3574226

After Nicky Henderson was nicked I have always wondered how many owners have had a sickener and walked away from the game?

Nicky was banned for the of transoceanic acid which is used by women all over the world..maybe we should fine them to or stop them doing their jobs

When the Henderson saga was ongoing I suggested to Paul Struthers that the BHA should take along hard look and work out the difference between medicines and drugs.

To my mind transoceanic acid is a medicine and if it allows a horse who bleeds to run they should be able to use it.

After all owners spend tens if not hundreds of pounds on geldings these days and if that horse turns out to burst in his races ????

Seems anti racing to me but I am not an expert so maybe I am missing something

It's Tranexamic acid and no it most definitely shouldn't be allowed to be used in Racing any more than Lasix should. Women are put on it to help with heavy periods but side effects can be unpleasant. Should horses be put on this just to alleviate bleeding to let them race when actually they should be trying to figure out what's causing the problem. Back in the early 90s I worked for a vet in the US and he successfully treated bleeders by getting to the cause - either a respiratory infection or there was an underlying physical problem causing stress (often something like arthritic change in a joint, poor synovial fluid in a joint, a tiny bone chip etc.)

Trainer John 'Shark' Hanlon has been given an 18-month suspended sentence by the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board's referrals committee after Camlann tested positive for cobalt at the Galway Festival

Doping?

Big article about doping in Irish racing in Sunday Times today.

“Irish horses have enjoyed spectacular success but questions must now be asked about whether the country’s racing industry takes seriously claims of a doping culture”

“Irish horses have enjoyed spectacular success but questions must now be asked about whether the country’s racing industry takes seriously claims of a doping culture”

What was the evidence?

when was the last big case for doping I remember reading Gearld Butler got a long ban ban for steroids........that tosser evil Dermot Browne got caught .........funniest was William Treacy who pissed on his horses feed and I think they accepted the substance got into the horse because of meds he was taking

when was the last big case for doping I remember reading Gearld Butler got a long ban ban for steroids........that tosser evil Dermot Browne got caught .........funniest was William Treacy who pissed on his horses feed and I think they accepted the substance got into the horse because of meds he was taking
Philip Fenton I think was after Butler. Trainer of Dunquib.

What was the evidence?

It follows the consideration of a suspension of a vet called Brennan in the High Court last Monday. In turn, this suspension followed on from an inspection of Mullins yard in 2015 which found drugs and medications in the boot of Brennan’s car for which he didn’t have a licence. His case was heard 3 years later at Kilkenny district court where he pleaded guilty to having unauthorised remedies and failing to keep proper records. He was put on probation, but later the Veterinary Council of Ireland initiated a fit to practise case against him.

The article also says that in 2018 an Irish trained national hunt horse was 8.9g** times more likely to test positive that a British rival, based on numbers released by the BHA. The article goes on to talk about several investigations where of all those caught with “unauthorised remedies” none was prepares to say from where they came or for what purpose they were used.

** but Ireland only tested winners, UK target tested one horse from each race.

Last edited:

Any chance you could copy past the article here, please, seeing as it's behind a pay wall?

Questions must be asked about whether Irish racing takes doping seriously
David Walsh
Sunday December 20 2020, 12.01am GMT, The Sunday Times

At about 9am on February 9, 2015, four men met in the café at the Applegreen Services near Paulstown in Co Kilkenny. It was a cold, grey morning. Veterinary inspector Louis Reardon from the special investigations unit of the department of agriculture was there. So too his colleague Brendan Daly. The other two were Chris Gordon and Declan Buckley from the Irish Turf Club’s security team.

That morning they would carry out an unannounced inspection at Willie Mullins’s training stables at Closutton, in Co Carlow. Five weeks before the Cheltenham Festival, the visit had been authorised by the Turf Club but it was the presence of Reardon and Daly that added legal clout to what ensued.

Mullins was then, and remains, the pre-eminent trainer of National Hunt horses. In truth, the inspectors didn’t expect to find anything at Closutton. That wasn’t to say they thought Irish racing was clean. They knew better. Three years previously the vet John Hughes was found with tubes of Nitrotain, an anabolic steroid, and many other unauthorised animal remedies. That case would rumble on for two years before Hughes was banned for life from racing.

Soon after Hughes came the case of the Carrick-on-Suir-based trainer Philip Fenton, who was also caught with Nitrotain and banned for three years. Reardon had led the investigation into Hughes, his colleagues Noel Kelly and Daly found the evidence of wrongdoing at Fenton’s yard.

That morning at Mullins’s yard Reardon came across medications that had not been properly labelled. From what he could tell, these were supplied by Tim Brennan, the vet who worked with Mullins. Brennan was at the yard and Reardon asked to search his jeep. Inside the boot, the inspector found a number of drugs and medications for which the vet did not have a licence.

Hemo 15, Catosal and P-Block were of particular interest to Reardon. The first two contain cobalt, a banned substance that can boost the production of red cells. P-Block is a painkiller that is difficult to detect and dangerous when given to racehorses.

Although Hemo 15 wasn’t licensed for use in Ireland, Reardon knew of a dealer who was flogging it to trainers. He wondered if Brennan had purchased it from this fellow. Having found the unauthorised remedies in the car, Reardon took the vet to one side and cautioned him: “You are not obliged to say anything unless you wish to do so but anything you do say will be taken down in writing and may be used in evidence. Do you understand the caution?”

Almost three years would pass before Brennan’s case was heard at Kilkenny district court. He pleaded guilty to three counts of having unauthorised remedies and to a fourth of failing to keep proper records. At the hearing John Halley, veterinary surgeon for the world-renowned Coolmore Stud and the iconic training centre at Ballydoyle, spoke in defence of Brennan.

The judge considered Brennan’s offences to be “minor” and gave him the probation act. Departmental officials were satisfied that there was “no evidence whatsoever of Mullins being implicated” and concluded the trainer had “no knowledge” of any offence that might be proved against Brennan, who continued to work as a vet. Everything would have been fine if the Veterinary Council of Ireland hadn’t initiated a fit-to-practise case against the vet.

At the last great gathering of racing people in the British Isles, the 2020 Cheltenham Festival, 17 of the 28 winners were Irish-trained. Mullins won the leading trainer award for the seventh time. Mullins or fellow Irish trainer Gordon Elliott have been leading trainer at the Festival on nine occasions over the past ten years.

It is not only at Cheltenham that the Irish dominate. In 2019, the first three horses to cross the line in the Grand National were Irish trained, the year before at Aintree the first four finishers were from Ireland. With Aidan O’Brien’s brilliance on the Flat, it is no different in the other branch of the sport.

Horse Racing Ireland insists the sport in Ireland has “a zero tolerance policy in relation to the use of prohibited substances”. It is a claim not entirely supported by the numbers.
A number of drugs were found in Brennan’s car
A number of drugs were found in Brennan’s car
SPORTSFILE

Irish and UK-trained horses operate under the same set of anti-doping regulations and samples from both jurisdictions are analysed at the same LGC Laboratory at Fordham, near Newmarket. It is the results that have been different.

Based on the numbers released by the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) and the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board (IHRB), an Irish-trained horse was 4.7 times more likely to test positive for a banned substance in 2018 than his UK counterpart. If the comparison was restricted to National Hunt racing in that year, an Irish-trained horse was 8.9 times more likely to test positive than a British rival.

The numbers weren’t as damning in 2019 when the Irish-trained horse was only 2.2 times more likely to test positive. In Ireland it is the practice to test the winner of each race, while the UK authorities prefer to target test one horse from each race. In principle, this should lead to more positive tests in the UK.

Behind the numbers are the raids and the stories that follow. At one time in Ireland, Daly, Kelly, Gerry Dooley, Gerry Meade, Brian Flaherty, Denis Deeny, John McConville and Reardon worked under Pat Brangen in the special investigations unit at the department of agriculture. Often, their investigations ended up in trainer’s’ yards. What they discovered was a deep-rooted culture of omerta. Of all those caught with “unauthorised remedies”, none was prepared to say from where they came or for what purpose they were used. Suppliers of banned products to racehorse trainers talked about “client confidentiality”. After stanozolol, an anabolic steroid, was found at the trainer Pat Hughes’s yard, they asked him how it came to be there. He claimed he’d given a lift to a veterinary friend to Fairyhouse races and this man had picked up a parcel while there.

On their return, the vet said he’d leave the package with Hughes and collect it another day when he was going to the Goresbridge sales. He never returned, or least he died before getting round to picking up the parcel. And that, Hughes told the investigators, was how the stanozolol happened to be in his place.

It was Hughes’s brother, John, who had been caught importing the anabolic steroid nitrotain from Australia. Reardon did a bit of digging and discovered from his Australian supplier Nature Vet that they’d sent him 23 consignments before the department of agriculture intercepted the 24th. In all, he’d imported a total of 225kg of nitrotain.

Hughes never gave up the names of the trainers he was supplying. No one ever discovered the horses treated by that powerful steroid.

In recent years many of the department of agriculture inspectors retired. Within the special investigations unit the feeling was that the bosses considered too much time was being spent on investigations that weren’t “of strategic importance”. Some prosecutions were seen as more trouble than they were worth.

After the Hughes and Fenton scandals the Irish racing authorities came together to agree a new memorandum of understanding (MoU). For four years the talking went on. The MoU has been agreed but is not yet fully operational. The IHRB’s investigators now have greater powers, though they have yet to be authorised. All the while, Irish-trained horses enjoy spectacular success in the UK and beyond.

On Monday, the High Court judge Mary Irvine confirmed the Veterinary Council of Ireland’s two-month suspension of Brennan arising from the 2015 inspection. Irvine felt the sanction was lenient. The suspension comes into effect today, which means that Brennan will be available to recommence his veterinary duties three weeks before the 2021 Festival.

At the department of agriculture, the special investigations unit has been closed down and the days of gathering intelligence and going after the wrongdoers is over. Reardon remains but he’s been pushed sideways. Plenty of people in Irish racing will be pleased to hear that.

Back