Top Irish trainer facing drugs charges

Eddie O'Leary, said
" You could not meet a straighter, and more honest, fellow."

That made me laugh

He said: "I'm sure he'll be fine. All this is bureaucracy gone mad, jobs for the boys. It's the department (of Agriculture, Food and the Marine) trying to make work for themselves by wanting proper labels on every single bottle in every single yard.

"We spend whatever money on educating and qualifying vets, but the vast majority of department vets have no actual interest in being vets. All they want is to join the department and have a nice and easy nine-to-five job."

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. We need the Dept of Ag to be fighting for racing at the Cabinet table when the Minister for Finance dishes out the scraps.

The Tullow Tank's owner Barry Connell refused to be drawn on the Fenton case when contacted on Tuesday morning.

He said: "I'm not going to discuss any of that. I have no comment to make."

A considered, appropriate response showing a bit of cop

Gigi have their own issues with the HRI and probably didn't want to be seen as lightweights.

They will look rather dim if Fenton is found guilty

They really have nailed their colours here, I might be naive but I'm really hoping for a good outcome from this. If he is found guilty harsh sanctions must be put in place but I hope it doesn't come to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very interesting, Ed.

The first two of the eight charges Fenton faces relate to alleged possession of Nitrotain, a paste which contains the anabolic steroid ethylestranol, and Ilium Stanabolic, which contains the anabolic steroid stanozolol. Is there a potentially innocent reason why a trainer would be in possession of these products?

Very good question

The charge seems to be based on the illegality of possessing them in any context.

This is a key point. The prosecution is not being taken by the racing authorities in respect of a breach of the rules of racing, it is a prosecution being taken by a government ministry for an alleged breach of the law.

When I googled nitrotrain I found that there were no European sites selling it, it was Australia, South Africa & the US, so perhaps its not meant to be used in the UK etc

from the RP
A SECOND trainer is alleged to be facing charges over the possession of prohibited substances including anabolic steroids.
It emerged on Wednesday morning that Cheltenham Festival and Irish Grand National-winning trainer Pat Hughes is due in court in May after substances, allegedly including Stanozol, were found at his stable in County Carlow.
The news comes just two days after it was revealed Philip Fenton, the trainer of Gold Cup hope Last Instalment, will appear in court on Thursday charged with possession of two anabolic steroids as well as a number of antibiotics without prescription.
According to The Telegraph, Hughes appeared in Carlow District Court on February 13 on eight charges of possession of banned animal remedies, including the anabolic steroid Stanozol. The case was adjourned until May 8.
Like Fenton, the case is allegedly being brought by the Ministry of Agriculture, who paid a visit to the trainer's yard on February 2 2012.
Quoted by The Telegraph, Hughes said: "They have nothing to go on. I don't know whether they've called it off completely or not."
Denis Egan, the chief executive of the Irish Turf Club, said: "We are aware that Pat Hughes has appeared in court. It is on our radar."

Is this just bluff on the part of the BHA, I wonder?

BHA may act after Philip Fenton court case details

Ryanair boss Michael O’Leary backs Last Instalment trainer

image.jpg
Owner Michael O’Leary, jockey Brian O’Connell and trainer Phillip Fenton celebrate Last Instalment’s win in the 2014 Hennessy Gold Cup at Leopardstown early in February. Photograph: Inpho

Brian O'Connor

First published: Wed, Feb 19, 2014, 01:27

It’s not just Irish racing holding its collective breath ahead of tomorrow’s District Court hearing in Carrick-On-Suir where trainer Philip Fenton will be charged with possession of unlicensed medicines including anabolic steroids. Only 20 days away from the start of the Cheltenham festival, the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) hasn’t ruled out preventing Mr Fenton from running horses there if it feels details from the hearing are serious enough to justify such a course of action.

Mr Fenton trains Last Instalment, the 8-1 third favourite for the Cheltenham Gold Cup, and The Tullow Tank, a widely-fancied 8-1 shot for the Neptune Novices Hurdle. He also has Cheltenham options with Value At Risk, a 14-1 chance for the Weatherbys Champion Bumper, as well as the Supreme Novices Hurdle entry, Real Steel.

While the owners of Last Instalment, Michael O’Leary’s Gigginstown Stud, vehemently backed Mr Fenton yesterday, predicting he will be cleared of any wrongdoing at the hearing, a controversy that has already cast a massive pall over the run-up to the festival could spread further if Mr Fenton isn’t cleared, or even if the case is deferred to a later date. The BHA confirmed it has not been informed of the matter by the Turf Club which has stated they are unable to take any action until the case is completed. http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/racing/pat-hughes-facing-charges-of-possessing-drugs-1.1696599
The case has already been deferred twice, in December and January last. Another deferment would leave Mr Fenton able to continue to run horses in Ireland but it is not certain if the same would apply in Britain. A BHA statement said: “We are in communication with the Irish Turf Club in relation to Philip Fenton’s court appearance . . . It is not appropriate for us to comment any further on this matter at this stage, although we are conscious of the need for clarity as soon as possible in advance of next month’s Cheltenham Festival.”

However sources within the BHA suggested if details emerge in the hearing that the body believe are serious enough to warrant them preventing Mr Fenton from running horses at Cheltenham, or anywhere else in Britain, it will consider such a step.

Last edited:
It has to be said the Irish media have been caught fast asleep on this story

Pat Hughes facing charges of possessing drugs

Hughes has been charged with possession of unauthorised drugs, including a 20ml bottle of Stanozolol, an anabolic steroid.

Brian O'Connor

First published: Wed, Feb 19, 2014, 00:38

Another prominent Irish racehorse trainer, Pat Hughes, is facing charges of possessing unauthorised drugs, including the anabolic steroid, Stanozol.
Bagenalstown, Co Carlow-based Hughes, who has trained two winners of the Irish Grand National, appeared in Carlow District Court last Thursday. The matter was adjourned by Judge Eamonn O’Brien until May 8th for hearing.

Hughes has been charged with possession of unauthorised drugs, including a 20ml bottle of Stanozolol, an anabolic steroid. He was also charged with being in possession of a number of other substances including Vetaglin, Juracyl, Diurex, Aspegic Powder, a 20ml bottle of AMP5, a 100ml bottle of VAM and a 100ml bottle of L-Carnitine.

Hughes’ two winners of the Irish Grand National were Insure (1986) and Point Barrow in 2006.

Would love to see the names on the list that John Hughes had - some very very big names in addition to Pat Hughes in that particular area of Carlow.

Martin

Nothing other than there may be more visits to yards in the coming weeks if the department are intending to visit and search all yards on the list (or indeed have already done so).

Nothing other than there may be more visits to yards in the coming weeks if the department are intending to visit and search all yards on the list (or indeed have already done so).

Please refer to posts I made regarding a certain a couple of months ago...the dogs are barking it for months now...

Honestly there must be people out there who would bet on the chance of a wet or dry fart

from the rp
Paddy Power makes Philip Fenton not to have a runner at the 2014 Cheltenham Festival a 6-1 chance

Back