Top twenty singles

Agreed that this would change quicker than the weather but today's list reads as follows, allowing that they only need to be top 30 somewhere in the world.

The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel
God Only Knows - Beach Boys
Alone Again Or - Love
For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield
Heart Of Gold - Neil Young
Ohio - CSNY
Somebody's Baby - Jackson Browne
Desperado - Eagles
The End Of The Innocence - Don Henley
Romeo & Juliet - Dire Straits
Champagne Supernova - Oasis
Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
Everybody Hurts - REM
One Day Like This - Elbow
Goin' Back - Dusty Springfield
Eight Miles High - Byrds
Walking In Memphis - Marc Cohn
Hollywood Nghts - Bob Seger
My Girl - Otis Redding
The Way It Is - Bruce Hornsby

Last edited:
The Boxer. I adore that track. Now that should have been on my list

Even though soul is my main thing, never got Otis. Never understood the fuss. For me he was never in Marvins class

Otis was one of my late wife's favourites. My Girl was the playing out song at her funeral thus its place on a personal list.

It wasn't. Brian Matthew on a Saturday morning great source of info on things like this as well as playing mostly stonking songs.
I had a '3 in a row' selection played on that show a couple of years ago.
San Francisco Nights - Eric Burdon
San Francisco Girls - Fever Tree
Let's Go To San Francisco - Flowerpot Men

Not wanting to hijack the thread - it never charted - but anyone younger than 50 who would like to get closer to West Coast psychedelia might want to waste 4 minutes of their life on this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr3EVsdY6Yg

Last edited:
Belated entry to thread as laid up for a while and not allowed to do anything more strenuous than read, write or watch TV (it’s a hard life). Amusing myself, wrote out my top 100 of various things, including favourite songs. Happy to see so many of my favourites are in other people’s lists, so I will not repeat them.

Rock On – David Essex (the original ’73 version, not Trevor Horn 80’s re-mix)
Sundown – Gordon Lightfoot
My White Bicycle – Nazareth
Spellbound – Siouxsie and the Banshees
Golden Brown – The Stranglers
That Ole Devil Called Love - Billie Holliday/Alison Moyet (one of the rare times the cover is as good as the original)
Cry Me A River – Julie London/Mari Wilson (again, cover and original equally good)
Just What I Needed – The Cars
Chance – Big Country
I Drove All Night – Cyndi Lauper (prefer cover to original)
Almaz – Randy Crawford
Man Of The World – Fleetwood Mac
Baker Street – Gerry Rafferty
Girls Talk – Dave Edmonds
Far, Far Away – Slade
Because The Night – Patti Smith
The Air That I Breathe – The Hollies
Mona Lisa – Nat King Cole
Ev’ry Time We Say Goodbye – Ella Fitzgerald
Eyes Without A Face – Billy Idol
Mirror In The Bathroom – The Beat
I’m Not In Love – 10cc
Love Don’t Live Here Anymore (Jimmy Nail – prefer cover to original)
Aint No Sunshine – Bill Withers

Whoops, gone over the 20 there, sorreee!

PS – Trudi – Teenage Kicks was by The Undertones – or do you mean the cover by One Direction that was combined with Blondie’s One Way Or Another?

Last edited:
That's them - all I could think of was the overtones - and I knew it wasn't them!!!

Tho I don't mind some of the other versions I've heard, and actually don't mind a tiny dose of one direction either....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morrissey is a knob of the highest order. But his music is at times wonderful.

Can't think of a single Morrissey song I like.

I wouldn't know where to start with a top 20. Take any 20 from the Beatles' 1 album and you'd have a strong list just to start with.

Pretty much perfect pop song.

I never "got" the Smiths. Simple as. I can think of many bands whose B-Sides were better than Smiths entire canon.
Here's one of 'em .......... Procol Harum doing Grunge twenty years before it was "invented" by Pearl Jam et al.
B-Side to "A Salty Dog" -- "Long Gone Geek" live in 1969.

Robin Trower's guitar power chords, Gary Brooker's sublime voice, organ virtuoso Matt Fisher, B.J. Wilson laying down good drums ( head-hunted to join Led Zeppelin but turned them down).
The boys from Southend-On-Sea in their prime, doesn't get much better for me.......... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRDwb7TLBJM

---------------------------------------------------------------

The smiths - most overrated band ever. Whiny faux political bollocks. Morrissey is a total cnut, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

this quote tells me that you haven't listened to The Smiths.

How very patronising. Why would I be commenting on them if I'd never listened to them? Or are you telling me I've never 'really' listened to them? That there's a hidden depth I'm not intelligent enough to understand.

I have listened to them. I think their music is shite. That is all.

And 12 year old bedsit student slogans such as "meat is murder" and "hand the dj" (how dare ordinary people enjoy a knees u after a hard week at work) are patronising and sniffy too

Last edited:
How very patronising. Why would I be commenting on them if I'd never listened to them? Or are you telling me I've never 'really' listened to them? That there's a hidden depth I'm not intelligent enough to understand.

I have listened to them. I think their music is shite. That is all.

With the very odd exception they are not political (I can't actually think of any right now). Therefore to categorise them as political is wrong. It is not patronising to point out that error.

Thinking their music is shite is an entirely different thing from your first post on the subject and, as a matter of opinion, is completely acceptable, although clivex doesn't seem to agree with me on that as he believes it is patronising and sniffy to disparage forms of music you dont like.

Back