Top twenty singles

I shall have a bash at 20(ish) - in no particular order.

Name Of The Game - Abba
Hey Jude - Beatles
How Deep Is your Love - Bee Gees
Stranger On The Shore - Acker Bilk
Soul Limbo - Booker T & The MGs
Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream
Riders On The Storm - Doors
Desperado - Eagles
Albatross - Fleetwood Mac
December 63 - Four Seasons
Run To The Hills - Iron Maiden
A Town Called Malice - Jam
Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Something In The Air - Thunderclap Newman
Fat Bottomed Girls - Queen
Jumpin Jack flash - Rolling Stones
Smooth - Santana
Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols
In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning - Frank Sinatra
For Emily, whenever I May Find Her - Simon & Garfunkel
Beautiful Girls - Van Halen
Make It Easy On Yourself - Walker Brothers

Sweet Home Alabama is the Skynyrd version of 'Teen Spirit and Song 2. It's their most well known song but miles away from being their best.

Sweet Home Alabama is the Skynyrd version of 'Teen Spirit and Song 2. It's their most well known song but miles away from being their best.

Admittedly I only have a Best Of album but certainly for me nothing of theirs matches it in terms of guitar riff, melody, catchiness - all the qualities I look for in a great single. Gimme Three Steps would be next for me.

I would also throw these two in as possibles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSsiS-v6_6M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGvgHEXg1Gw

and this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkyDYbMUPj4

Last edited:
( head-hunted to join Led Zeppelin but turned them down).

---------------------------------------------------------------

i've read just about every book on Zep and never came across this before..interesting that on wiki it says headhunted by Plant & Page..with Plant and Bonham being soulmates all through their careers together this is a surprise isn't it?...wonder where that info comes from

Last edited:
As you say, the beauty of opinion. The only Small Faces single that I bought was their second, "I've Got Mine" which was the only one not to chart. Still think it's superior to most of the geezer pop that came after.

Likewise, "Cindy Incidentally" is by some way my favourite Faces track but not a view shared by many.
A long shot I know but was anyone else at the Weeley festival in 71. The only time I saw the Faces but a fond, if remote, memory.

interesting that on wiki it says headhunted by Plant & Page..with Plant and Bonham being soulmates all through their careers together this is a surprise isn't it?...wonder where that info comes from
I remember it from before the days of Wiki. The story is true. :)
B.J. was first choice but on declining the invite, Bonham was offered the gig.
Same as Terry Reid was Jimmy Page's first choice for vocalist, but also refused -- hence Robert Plant.

Incidentally, without intending to offend any Led fans, the B-side song above -- "Long Gone Geek" was plagiarised by Zeppelin two years later in "Black Dog". :D

Same as Terry Reid was Jimmy Page's first choice for vocalist, but also refused -- hence Robert Plant.

Incidentally, without intending to offend any Led fans, the B-side song above -- "Long Gone Geek" was plagiarised by Zeppelin two years later in "Black Dog". :D

yes i knew about Terry Reid

i think the similarities between Long Gone Geek and Black Dog are pretty vague..i can't see it mesen;)

Wow !
So that's where The Verve got their smash hit from !

Reading up about it is interesting ................
They were given permission to "sample" a couple of bars of the original, but went overboard and used the vocal melody as well. Subsequently forced to hand over composer royalties to Mick and Keef. LOL.

Talking of Led Zep 'borrowing' material, I see that there's been a lawsuit issued on behalf of the creators of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd8AVbwB_6E&feature=kp

borrowing has gone on since music began..Jeff Beck and Keith Richard openly brag about about pinching loads of stuff ..just two examples

led zep are always named ...when in fact most artists have pinched stuff...as they are probably the 2nd most popular band in the history of popular music..and imo top band in rock music category...so its always worth it for the dollar.

most of today's bands wouldn't exist without the past influences...nothing changes

the main problem with zep is that Jimmy Page should have credited people...particularly over Dazed & Confused...he likes money a lot..his flaw...but he is still a genius...and a legend

The Verve..even with the pinching ...still produced one of the best albums of the last 30 years..its no slight on them for me

Last edited:
I can overlook Clive's stance -- him being the philistine that he is. :D
But from you, Maurice, I would have expected some deeper poetic insight from a teacher such as yourself. I'm surprised you cannot recognise the enigmatic nature of Shade Of Pale. Or that you cannot perceive the broad surrealist nature and imagery of their lyrics as a whole.

"Your multilingual business friend
Has packed her bags and fled,
Leaving only ash-filled ashtrays
And the lipsticked unmade bed.

The town clock in the market square
Stands waiting for the hour,
When its hands they both turn backwards
And on meeting will devour
Both themselves and also any fool
Who dares to tell the time.
Then the sun and moon will shatter
And the signposts cease to sign."

(Homburg, 1967).

I'm a hardcore Metal fan, but I appreciate that Procol Harum created beautiful, timeless art -- which 45 years on has aged well like a fine wine. England should be very proud of them.

Re Le Zep, they have plenty of form for this sort of thing. Jimmy Page couln'nt write a song to save his life, so I suppose they are reduced to plagiarism by circumstance. They are a half-decent covers band, tho', I'll grant 'em that. :)

Time after Time ..Cindy Lauper
Miss You The Rolling Stones
All Right Now....Free
Bohemian Rhapsody........Queen
Dignity.........Deacon Blue
All For Love............Rod Stewart, Bryan Adams, Sting
Wishing Well......... Free
Every Breath You Take.......The Police
Karma Chameleon......Culture Club
Another Day in Paradise.......Phil Collins
Nothing Compares to You.....Sinead O'Connor
Living in the Past..............Jethro Tull
White Room..........Cream
Hey Joe..............Jimi Hendrix
Hotel California....Eagles
Born to Be wild..........Steppenwolf
Sultans of Swing.....Dire Straits
Let Her Go.......Passenger
Go Your Own Way.........Fleetwood Mac
Bad To The Bone.....George Thorogood

That's only of the top of my head............should have made it the top 200

Last edited:
They played Taurus on R6 the other day and everyone said it didn't sound much like Stairway to Heaven; don't get that because it sounded just like it to me [albeit a greatly improved version].

Stumbled across Simon and Garfunkel singing live at Central Park...The Sound of Silence. Fantastic singing just two voices and a guitar enchanting thousands.
They probably wouldn't get past the auditions of X Factor nowadays

Back