harry

At the Start
These people are outside every time empty or full
Buy or sell they say
how are they making money
always makes me wonder
seen they have "complimentary" badges
anyone know?

I don't know, but it always seems to be the same faces in the same places. They must have "pitches" just like the bookmakers. I suppose they wouldn't be there if they weren't making it pay.

I don't buy any of the "they are providing a service" crap that you sometimes hear from their defenders. In my view, they are the scum of the Earth, would rip-off their own Grandmothers and should be avoided at all costs. If you end up in possession of forged tickets or money then you only have yourself to blame.

Isn't what they do illegal anyway? I've often seen touts in full view of coppers and thought to myself; "Why don't you go along the line and arrest all the f*ckers?". That would teach 'em.

I dont really see the prob its a take it or leave it thing with me! As long as they dont sell forged stuff its not a problem. Last year at Newmarket i had a spare(someone couldnt make it) and sold it to a tout for face value.

What about those scummy Gippo gargoyles offering lucky Heather. Now they do make my blood boil :angy:

You wanna try dealing with the Irish tinkers selling last week's fruit and Toblerone outside some of the Irish courses. Also one of them put twenty euros in my hand and asked me to buy some racecards for her. Suspicious they may be forgeries I told the lady selling the racecards, apparently they "mark the cards" and sell them on for a profit

those Irish trolls scare me to death on the way out of Punchestown, and the Vietnam Vet who lays on the floor coz he's crippled but is stood up after racing. outside every time I've been there...........freak show :laughing:

Originally posted by harry@Jan 27 2008, 09:14 PM
What about those scummy Gippo gargoyles offering lucky Heather. Now they do make my blood boil :angy:
Oh, tell me about it. Every summer you get the pikey ###### hanging around the likes of Sandown and Ascot as soon as you park up. "Lucky bit of heather, my love?" "I'm working, not interested"...."oh, gowan, everyone needs a bit of lucky heather"...."sod off, I don't give a shite!!!!"

So it's not just the Curragh :rolleyes:

What amazes me is where they get the Tobelerone... I mean, WHY Toblerone, in particular -
Why is it never Mars Bars or Cadbury's Fruit n Nut??

Originally posted by harry@Jan 27 2008, 10:14 PM

When asked if I wish to purchase some "lucky" heather, my usual reply is;

"Well, it hasn't brought you much luck has it Love?"

Whatever happened to "Find The Lady"? When I was a kid, there was almost always a game of FTL going on in the car park after racing.

Even as a spotty youth, I couldn't believe how stupid people were to take even money about a 2/1 chance - but, at the same time, I was fascinated by it.

The women selling fruit, chocolate and racecards outside the Dublin tracks are not tinkers.

The cards they sell are not marked, but they charge 50 cent extra, for which you get a biro as well.

On my second visit to the Festival, a relatively naive friend of mine got involved in a game of find the lady- got hit for £150, a nice sum for a then college student. The lads running the scam had to be the filthiest pair of degenerates I have ever encountered.

We should have dragged him away after the first hand. Terrible memory of his day in Cheltenham,entirely his own fault though!

Jeezuz, will you lot get a life. I find the diversity of people at the course add to the colour and noise and texture of a race meeting. I'd hate to see you if you had a real problem.

To add to Grey's input - the fruit sellers are what we know in Dublin as 'dealers' - they are generational families that have been doing this forever, as well as keeping fruit/fish stalls in Moore Street in Dublin. They do nobody any harm whatever and if you leave a racecourse behind somebody like John Oxx or Dermot Weld (more OUR kind of people - eh?) you will see they will stop for a chat and buy a bag of fruit, and will know the ladies by name. If I have a spare ticket I will always gift it to one of these ladies in the hope that they can snag a tenner for it.

BTW - I bought two forged £60 tickets outside Cheltenham a few years ago. I got over it.

Originally posted by Relkeel@Jan 27 2008, 11:24 PM
Whatever happened to "Find The Lady"? When I was a kid, there was almost always a game of FTL going on in the car park after racing.

Even as a spotty youth, I couldn't believe how stupid people were to take even money about a 2/1 chance - but, at the same time, I was fascinated by it.
Funny you should mention this Relks as there were a few East European's playing this outside the Asda in Leyton when I went there just. Hadn't seen it played in years, would prefer to not find the lady for a straight £10 mind. Was going to suggest that but given how the game works i don't think that would have done down well :laughing:

Goodwood car park is the worst place for "characters" selling heather. They really are pests there.

All very well for seasoned racegoers to brush them off but with racing always trying to attract a new audience, its not the best start to the day or a wonderful first impression of the overall experience

Which is what i thought at leopardstown with the "dealers". Harmless but a bit tacky.....a strange way to arrive at a top course

Originally posted by Relkeel@Jan 27 2008, 11:24 PM
They're all on betfair now Relkeel.

Originally posted by Relkeel@Jan 27 2008, 10:24 PM

If only it were a 2/1 chance. They NEVER pay out genuine punters. If you happen to hit on the lady they will say your stake is too low or one of the 'onlookers' will knock the table over etc etc.

Those ould ones selling fruit.

I got particularly intoxicated at Leopardstown a few Christmases back after Snow Tern won the 2m4f bumper. I bought a net of satsumas on the way out for a euro.

I am convinced that this prevented the hangover I deserved.

Back