Travel Money Advice?

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
We're off the the USA in the next couple of weeks. It's 12 years since we were there before so I only vaguely remember what we did for travel money and wondered if anyone had any advice? I vaguely remember changing travellers' cheques wasn't always straightforward (maybe becasue they were Bank Of Scotland TCs).

Is it best to take readies only or mostly travellers' cheques and a small amount of readies? Do most places accept Mastercard?

We're doing one of those coach tours (NY State and a day in Canada). Is it best to take Canadian money or get it once we're there?

Any advice or tips gratefully received :)

My preference is to take a small amout in cash and rely on credit cards. Make sure you have some low denom $$ because tipping starts as soon as you leave the plane. Bring two credit cards and keep them seperate. Losing the use of a credit card is no fun in USA.

I tend to use ATMs for cash replenishments. It probably costs a couple of bucks per transaction, but worth it for security and absence of hassle. I'd tend to do this in Canada too. It must be at least 10 years since I bothered with travellers cheques anywhere.

Enjoy.

Pretty much identical to what I'd say AC - take little cash with the intent of using ATMs abroad to replenish, and use cards.

I'm pretty sure Nationwide don't charge for using ATMs to withdraw your money abroad so might be worth checking them out

Originally posted by Epona@Jun 29 2008, 08:05 PM
I'm pretty sure Nationwide don't charge for using ATMs to withdraw your money abroad so might be worth checking them out
How can they afford any bubbly for the shareholders meeting then?

You've got to have some bubbly for the shareholders meeting..............

Small amount of cash as stated.Lodge the rest of the budget for the trip into your credit card account, that way you can withdraw funds without using the credit facility and there will be no charge for using it at ATM's.

I would be wary of front loading a Credit Card - If there is any fraud on the card you are not covered as its your money and not the Credit Card issuer!

Originally posted by Grasshopper+Jun 30 2008, 09:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grasshopper @ Jun 30 2008, 09:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Epona@Jun 29 2008, 08:05 PM
How can they afford any bubbly for the shareholders meeting then?

You've got to have some bubbly for the shareholders meeting.............. [/b][/quote]
:clap:

...glug, glug, glug....

When I went to China/Hong Kong/Macau last year I got a Travelex card (cash passport), in which you transfer money from your own bank account on to the card. Travelex gives you 2 cards and separate pin numbers.

I decided to be safe than sorry, as I did not want some foreign teller eating up my card from my current bank account. Also saved me money on charges too, whereas my friend was being charged upwards of $6 per cash withdrawal from her bank, I was only charged $1.

More travel advise required...and for New York. Any recommendations for a decent hotel or accom? Probably staying for a week to 10 days...dont want to spend a fortune but do not want a dump either. Any recommendations or pointers in the right direction?

Got back this morning. Money wasn't a major problem after all. Took most of AC's advice and used only readies for small stuff while the credit card took a bit of a bashing for meals and excursions, etc.

I have to say, tipping annoys the sh*t out of me. Are they so badly paid over there that they need tips to survive? Are the tips declared to their IRS?

The tour company recommended $3-5 per person per day for the tour director and the same for the coach driver. This hits a family of four for $224 for the seven days on the road. The travel comapny said porterage at the hotels was included in the price so why can't tips for the 'tour director' (ours was a dick) and driver be included too.

I also objected to being obliged to pay 18% on top of restaurant bills, on top of taxes.

Our shuttle driver back to the airpoirt was a sullen sh*tbag. The only tip he deserved was that of a rapier up his @rse.

But it was a good holiday!

Are they so badly paid over there that they need tips to survive?

Yes. They are paid very poorly as the business knows the customers will add 15%.

Are the tips declared to their IRS?

Yes. And the IRS have some kind of alogrithm that reason checks the declaration as far as I know.

I lived in CA one time and the night before we came home I hosted a dinner in an Italian restaurant for family and a group of close friends. As I was getting the bill a friend insisted he get the tip at least, but it was a liquid and emotional evening and he forgot it genuinely. After all the goodbyes etc in the car park outside, we got into a car and just as we were about to pull off there was an unmerciful shrieking and banging on the roof of the car. Ian got out to confront an hysterical waitress screaming at us for 'disrespect' 'rudeness' 'meanness' (she thought we were Scots)etc etc. He apologised and paid her the tip. I'd have told her to shove it up her fuqqin hole, personally.

More travel advise required...and for New York. Any recommendations for a decent hotel or accom? Probably staying for a week to 10 days...dont want to spend a fortune but do not want a dump either. Any recommendations or pointers in the right direction?

I would say maybe something around LaGuardia airport. I've stayed at the Sheraton LaGuardia and it's a hell of a hotel, though possibly a bit on the steep side (I didn't foot the bill so I wouldn't know!).

An added advantage is that it's basically on the door-step of Arthur Ashe stadium.

An Capall is right about the tipping. I had a fair few complain about the "shabby" tip they received. I would also be wary of in-built tips (usually 15%), especially when eating in a large group. Like everything in the States, read the fine print.

For Galileo. Unless you have a very good reason to stay outside, Manhattan is the place to stay.You can walk to a lot of interesting places, savouring the atmosphere, and it's a waste/drag to take long trips every time you go out.
If you let me know your rough budget and purpose I'll give some suggestions as much will depend on what you want to do in NY. Sometimes with a bit of effort and cheek you can get into some of the better hotels for the price charged by lesser one's.

Don't stay at La Gaudia, Do what Tout suggests. You might spend an extra 300, but you'll restore the bank balance way before the memories fade.

I wouldn't know, AC my sweet.

Rory, are you looking for a viable alternative to the Dom Perignan you usually drink? If so my love, you might be a tad disappointed when it comes to trying the Blossom Hill...

Don't stay at La Gaudia, Do what Tout suggests. You might spend an extra 300, but you'll restore the bank balance way before the memories fade.

Why not? If he's going for the US Open (presuming that) it's the handiest option and I found the "noise pollution" I was told about before I stayed a load of over-hyped bollocks. Not like it's difficult to get to Manhattan either

Dont get me wrong TS528 - I am not snobbish about Le Gaurdia.There is just something about looking at Manhatten from a hotel window and getting up at 6AM and getting hot crusty bread and coffee in a deli. For everything else, there is mastercard.

We stayed in a hotel in W29th St (between 7th/8th Ave) in the 'Chelsea' area. The accom was included in the holiday package and it was OK. We were within about 5 mins walking distance of Madison Sq Gdn and about 20 of Times Sq so that was OK too. Also, a cab ride up that way was about $5 away from the rush hour and with a party of four it was well worth it if the heat was a bit much (which it was for one of our party). I'd definitely recommend staying 'close to the action'.

Back