Triumph Hurdle

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
As a Nick Williams follower i've had to avail myself of the 19.5 about Pistolet Noir after his impressive victory yesterday.

The runner up had quite a high OR going into the race. If he ran to that mark, PN's form would be good enough to win an average Triumph. Looks like you've given yourself a fine lay-off-at-shorter prospect.

Edit - 25s in a few places this morning. I've taken a little of it (win only)

Last edited:
Alaivan is 2nd favourite.Supposedly in the o' Grady yard.I had him down as next years Irish Leger winner.I wonder who the owner is.

Was taken with Sang Bleu's debut in a traditionally very hot Novice Hurdle in France (won by Azertyuiop, Master Minded, Exotic Dancer and Tell No One in recent years). He was shuffled back from first to last after being badly interfered with when 5 horses came down at the opening hurdle yet still won quite cosily in the end. He's moved to Nicholls as has the runner-up Tanerko Emery but would be worried that Nicholls tends not to run the imports in the Triumph Hurdle for whatever reason - certainly a high class prospect though.

Agree about Pistolet Noir - would be concerned that he might need soft ground though :(

Alaivan well beaten by Carlito Brigante. CB could be very good indeed but the front two looked to be doing far too much from a long way out.

Was at Windsor when she won a bad seller this summer; she surely proves that this year's juveniles in the UK are a poor bunch. I'd be lumping on Carlito Brigante after that.

Ladbrokes sort of share your view having just cut a few of the Irish juveniles but they have Alaivan a point shorter than Carlito Brigante and Secante Star on the same mark at 10/1 as the Elliott horse.

Ladbrokes sort of share your view having just cut a few of the Irish juveniles but they have Alaivan a point shorter than Carlito Brigante and Secante Star on the same mark at 10/1 as the Elliott horse.
It makes no sense at all to have Alaivan shorter than Carlito Brigante, who beat him on merit in what looked a strong race last time.

The theory is that Alaivan did not run his race the last day based on what the pace they went up front. Alaivan also beat the Leblon much easier on his previous start than at Leopardstown. I am not sure either of them are up to winning a Triumph but either way I am not sure the Leopardstown race is trustworthy given how the race was run.

Alaivan takes on Secante Star next at Fairyhouse.

Pittoni did it nicely there but he was definitely a soft ground horse on the flat so I would have worries about him on a firmer surface.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better round of hurdling by a juvenile ~ very impressive. Even more so considering they went a proper pace throughout.

Sang Bleu goes today.

All in all, this looks the weakest Triumph at this stage in years. I can't see anything I want to back.

Stay well clear of the triumph, I've learned the hard way. Very often something comes out of nowhere and hacks up. The nature of these young horses is that they are very volatile. Volitility = Big priced winners.

Back