TV coverage

thats true..being serious..i'm surprised Mac still gets airtime...heads gone...too old

I would like to see Rory and Andy Holding given a chance seriously..the best two pundits..bar none around. I've not heard anyone better...throw in Chappers and Lord Snooty to present...Ken Pitterson in the paddock..games a good un..don't need a betting guru..just put up oddschecker sheet and let pundits discuss

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Andy Holding's work, but always been a big fan of Rory's. Great combination of form knowledge, racing's history, honest assessment, and common-touch (no emphasis on 'common' here, Rory, in case you're looking-in).

If racing wants to attract new audiences, it needs people who speak the language of the internet. Not just when it comes to betting, but simply as a matter of presenting style. The old crusties are a complete anachronism, and don't connect with racing's target market in any way, shape or form. Ex-jockeys, worn-out journos, hangers-on from the racing-set, and refugees from bookmakers, make no effort to modulate racing's inscrutable language, to make it accessible to the desired demographic. It really needs people like Rory who can translate racing-speak into something Joe Public understands, to grab these viewers attention, and be able to hold onto it.

I've often thought about what I wish I'd known right-away, when I started racing.......instead of having to learn the hard-way i.e. endlessly spu*nking cash up the wall, until I sort of figured it out (this gives me an idea for a thread).

American Football was on the TV for years, but despite this, at the start of each season, there would be a brief run-down of the rules, scoring system etc. It was no use to me whatsoever, but essential for anyone unfamiliar with the game, but whose interest was sufficiently piqued, to go to the trouble of checking it out. It would be no bad thing, imo, if this new show on ITV, adopted a similar approach, and tried to give some sort of education about how the sport operates, rather than focusing solely on form.

For example, the casual viewer does not benefit from knowing that a horse has a 16lb turnaround for 7L against the favourite, if he/she has no concept of lb-for-length handicapping. Most casual viewers probably don't even appreciate that Flat and Jumps are two entirely separate things. They are ignorant of even these simplest demarcations. Don't believe me? Then ask a friend to name as many Derby Winners as they can. It's practically guaranteed that someone will mention Desert Orchid and/or Red Rum. They will have no clue who Arkle is, and they will have no clue who Nijinsky is either.

This new show should seek to educate the viewer on these and other matters.

A 20-minute vignette each Saturday showing the history of the sport - possibly particular to races being held that day - would give the viewer a historical reference-point, which might help expand their interest. Showcase a particular aspect of the sport each week. Show how betting-markets work, and the difference between FO and Exchanges. Show them how the Race Programme works, and how Class of Race relates directly to ability. Show them why breeding exists, and how some lines are more successful than others (summer only). Dare I say it, even have a "What are the Forums/Twitter saying?" segment. And get some 'If you would like to know more..." URLs scrolling across the bottom of the screen every now and then, linking people to places like here, where they can get an even more detailed education from people who have the time and inclination to do so.

There is so much more that racing coverage could be doing from an editorial point of view, beyond it's formulaic 'Here are the horses, here is their form, that was the race' approach, to make it accessible to the casual viewer. Let's hope that the new mob have some creative ideas, otherwise it's another opportunity lost.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Andy Holding's work, but always been a big fan of Rory's. Great combination of form knowledge, racing's history, honest assessment, and common-touch (no emphasis on 'common' here, Rory, in case you're looking-in).

If racing wants to attract new audiences, it needs people who speak the language of the internet. Not just when it comes to betting, but simply as a matter of presenting style. The old crusties are a complete anachronism, and don't connect with racing's target market in any way, shape or form. Ex-jockeys, worn-out journos, hangers-on from the racing-set, and refugees from bookmakers, make no effort to modulate racing's inscrutable language, to make it accessible to the desired demographic. It really needs people like Rory who can translate racing-speak into something Joe Public understands, to grab these viewers attention, and be able to hold onto it.

I've often thought about what I wish I'd known right-away, when I started racing.......instead of having to learn the hard-way i.e. endlessly spu*nking cash up the wall, until I sort of figured it out (this gives me an idea for a thread).

American Football was on the TV for years, but despite this, at the start of each season, there would be a brief run-down of the rules, scoring system etc. It was no use to me whatsoever, but essential for anyone unfamiliar with the game, but whose interest was sufficiently piqued, to go to the trouble of checking it out. It would be no bad thing, imo, if this new show on ITV, adopted a similar approach, and tried to give some sort of education about how the sport operates, rather than focusing solely on form.

For example, the casual viewer does not benefit from knowing that a horse has a 16lb turnaround for 7L against the favourite, if he/she has no concept of lb-for-length handicapping. Most casual viewers probably don't even appreciate that Flat and Jumps are two entirely separate things. They are ignorant of even these simplest demarcations. Don't believe me? Then ask a friend to name as many Derby Winners as they can. It's practically guaranteed that someone will mention Desert Orchid and/or Red Rum. They will have no clue who Arkle is, and they will have no clue who Nijinsky is either.

This new show should seek to educate the viewer on these and other matters.

A 20-minute vignette each Saturday showing the history of the sport - possibly particular to races being held that day - would give the viewer a historical reference-point, which might help expand their interest. Showcase a particular aspect of the sport each week. Show how betting-markets work, and the difference between FO and Exchanges. Show them how the Race Programme works, and how Class of Race relates directly to ability. Show them why breeding exists, and how some lines are more successful than others (summer only). Dare I say it, even have a "What are the Forums/Twitter saying?" segment. And get some 'If you would like to know more..." URLs scrolling across the bottom of the screen every now and then, linking people to places like here, where they can get an even more detailed education from people who have the time and inclination to do so.

There is so much more that racing coverage could be doing from an editorial point of view, beyond it's formulaic 'Here are the horses, here is their form, that was the race' approach, to make it accessible to the casual viewer. Let's hope that the new mob have some creative ideas, otherwise it's another opportunity lost.

what you say about American football..i nearly posted a few weeks ago..about another sport:)..you beat me by weeks this time

i was thinking about Rubgy..i've never been a fan..not because i don't like it..i don't understand it...i watched some of the world cup..and it annoyed me that i didn't understand why penalties were being given

not knowing about a sport does put people off..you are right..education would make racing more appealing..in fact..it would show other sports coverage something they rarely address..actually explaining what the game is about

Last edited:
Ultimately I think you could have strippers fronting the show and it still won't generate the vast more viewers they hope for.
It's a minority sport at the end of the day.

As was Darts until they got their TV coverage right. And snooker. And American Football. The list goes on, Frankel.

well..so is Rubgy as far as i am concerned..if,,when incidents happened they actually explained the rules..which they have time for..i might watch it more. I'm sure many people would also watch racing more..if they understood it more

Grass makes a valid point..its same with all sports..it comes on..and very rarely does any f00ker mention why something has happened..explain the rules a bit..i might watch more

Last edited:
but that is why racing has to try and involve people more with what its actually about...if they just show races as they have done since God were a lad..then..no..nobody will latch on..and latching on is important.

just think of a sport..you like..but don't really watch..ask yourslef why..my reason is..its as though i'm a daft outsider that don't know the rules..i don't feel the coverage of any sport explains that sport well..racing could actually be the first sport that does something like that..a first

its just something for them to think through anyway

Last edited:
There is a potential untapped market in the shape of leisure equestrian riders who are predisposed to be interested in horses (I came to racing as a child through the horses rather than an interest in betting) and to understand a bit about them, but one of the big turn-offs is the whip. I'm a member of a general equestrian FB group with around 150 members of which at least half that number post regularly (as in between daily or weekly). A while back I started a thread out of interest asking if they ever watched racing and if not, what could it do to encourage them to do so? Two were already keen fans, a small handful more watched occasionally, but the majority said that use of the whip put them off and they thought the Grand National should be banned. These are people who, with very few exceptions, own one or more horses; aren't stupidly sentimental about death - indeed, many have held their own past horses for the vet or knacker at one time or another; some of them support foxhunting and they mostly carry - but very rarely have to use in anger - whips when they ride. But they won't watch racing, regardless of who is presenting or what format it's being shown in, in large part because of the use of the whip. I appreciate that's hardly a scientific study but if we can't even appeal to a crowd who understand horses, what chance do we have of attracting the evermore sentimental general public? I can't imagine I'm the only one here who has got into casual conversation with someone on the topic only to hear "oh, I don't like racing, it's cruel" or seen a thread on social media take that turn. We live in a world where a leading jockey gets death threats on Twitter for saying people are more important than horses FFS.

That's why I struggle to be optimistic about the future of terrestrial broadcasting of racing. Tinkering with the broadcaster or the format or the presenters feels like rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. Rightly or wrongly (obviously I think wrongly!) our sport has a growing perception amongst the GBP that it's "cruel", and who is going to watch something when they're starting from that premise? They're not going to tune in to see if we can persuade them otherwise.

just been listening to will hill radio..someone emailed suggesting they wouldn't be surprised if Victoria pendleton got a gig with itv racing..Ollie Pimlott said that although she isn't a name he has heard re this..he has heard that they were going down the "celebrity" route..he wouldn't name anyone although he did have some names but this is is probably the worst news really.

any hopes of an analysis/paddock watch type show looks to be out the window if this is true

Last edited:
Its such a shame. The sport is run by idiots, and those that televise it are idiots also. |I honestly cant see racing being on TV in 4 or 5 years time.

just been listening to will hill radio..someone emailed suggesting they wouldn't be surprised if Victoria pendleton got a gig with itv racing..Ollie Pimlott said that although she isn't a name he has heard re this..he has heard that they were going down the "celebrity" route..he wouldn't name anyone although he did have some names but this is is probably the worst news really.

She would be good for the "How to Successfully Fall off a Horse" segment they will run each Saturday morning.

Racing UK set to be the first horse racing channel to go HD from March 7.

Looking forward to that, just in time for the festival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racing UK goes High Definition!

For the first time all 28 races from the 2016 Cheltenham Festival will be available to watch live in HD in the UK and Ireland!

Racing UK viewers will be able to enjoy all the action from Britain’s top racecourses in high-definition (HD), after the channel today revealed it is set to launch its HD service on Sky Channel 432 on Monday, March 7.

Racing UK, the first dedicated horseracing channel to offer HD in the UK, will broadcast over 600 race meetings per year in native HD, including all the action from the major festivals, starting with Jump racing’s flagship fixture, the Cheltenham Festival, which gets underway on March 15.

Racing UK’s Cheltenham Festival Preview Part One is set to be the first programme to be broadcast in HD on March 7 (the second preview will follow on March 14), with Exeter’s fixture the first live racing to be shown in HD on Racing UK the following day.

Richard FitzGerald, CEO of Racing UK, said, “Racing perhaps more than any other sport lends itself to high definition so we are delighted to offer the service on Sky 432 for our members in the UK and Ireland. It is another significant chapter in the story of Racing UK and we look forward to showcasing the sport in finer detail than ever before.”

Research indicates that more than 80% of Sky viewers who watch Racing UK are ready to receive the channel in HD, and they will automatically migrate to the new service on Sky 432, so the vast majority of viewers will see an immediate benefit.

Existing SD customers who upgrade their equipment will also switch to high-definition automatically. Otherwise, Sky 432 will continue as normal in standard-definition for customers with SD-only equipment.

HD will form a significant benefit of the Racing UK membership, which also includes free racecourse admission initiatives via the Club Days and Winter Season Ticket; the Racing UK Anywhere service which allows members to choose and change how they view on multiple devices; and, most importantly, the action itself, with increased programming of more than 2,000 hours from both the UK and overseas scheduled for 2016.

For more information please click on the image below

22 January 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do you guys save races on your hard drives?

i tend to save big races..have done for years..i have in the past then taken races from the PVR with a transfer to memory stick then shove em on computer. Since i got a freeview HD box..you can't do this..even if you could take them..they will only play on the box you currently have. So if you ever get a new box..you would lose all your saved races unless you keep the same box to play em on.

its obviously superb getting everything in HD..but its not good for archiving.

I am rather baffled that ITV is only planning to show 34 days - has anyone seen what utter shite they put out on Saturday afternoons ?

Last edited:
Tomorrow its..Judge Rinder...Tipping Point...Doc Martin..so its cost them nowt as all are reruns or cheap quiz shows

i know most folk don't like horse racing..but given that choice of viewing..i'd get into racing just to avoid watching that lot. If that were my saturday afternoon's viewing each week i'd call it a day tbh...ffs..what an awful life having that lot wash over you.

Last edited:
do you guys save races on your hard drives?

i tend to save big races..have done for years..i have in the past then taken races from the PVR with a transfer to memory stick then shove em on computer. Since i got a freeview HD box..you can't do this..even if you could take them..they will only play on the box you currently have. So if you ever get a new box..you would lose all your saved races unless you keep the same box to play em on.

its obviously superb getting everything in HD..but its not good for archiving.

You can get digiboxes that allow you to save programs to HD, Network or even the Cloud.

I am rather baffled that ITV is only planning to show 34 days - has anyone seen what utter shite they put out on Saturday afternoons ?

ITV are showing all the races.... just some of them on ITV4....another free channel. The sports media appear to be transfixed with the idea that there is only 4 channels on TV now. The problem with what they will show on "free" tv will be the production and the stupid idea that they are creating an Saturday entertainment programme.

Back