Understanding Handicapping / Ratings

Sorry, Turambar, you're going to have to prove it. Does anyone have two horses to lend, preferably with a bit of skiing experience?

Originally posted by Grey@Apr 11 2008, 10:47 AM
Sorry, Turambar, you're going to have to prove it. Does anyone have two horses to lend, preferably with a bit of skiing experience?
I could maybe rig something up using cats and a slide....

You're going to demonstrate vital principles of handicapping and ratings using cats and a slide? Welcome, what a fine addition to Talkinghorses. :)

Right then - my understanding is that it revloves around gradient and distance.

What I'll try and do, is get the boffin concerned to type out an explanation which I'll copy.

The laws of physics however, don't apply, because there is an issue of cubic capacity. That is to say force = mass, doesn't necessarily equal acceleration.

I did conduct my own reasearch into this a few years ago (Brighton) to do with horses running out of the handicap (and thus being advantaged for running predominantly downhill). If anyone's got raceform interactive? please share? My crude investigation suggested you made a very small profit on a small strike rate. However, a lot of horses placed at big odds, which if you'd backed e/e, you'd have made a half decent profit (about 20pts)

The laws of physics however, don't apply

Be careful, guys. Last thing we want is you creating a singularity that sucks the universe inside out. The forum would never live it down.

Back