Up or Down?

A bit down overall (in more ways than one now it’s over). Was there Tues and Weds and loved every minute. Had Honeysuckle but narrow misses with Abras and Lord du Mesnil on day 1 - but at least radar not far off. Weds had Envoi but Defi my main bet, and not much else came close. Didn’t go on Thurs and Fri and tend to keep my powder dry unless the first couple of days are decent, having learned from experience not to chase it.

Amazing to think that only a week ago it seemed a sound decision to hold and attend the occasion - still the right call I firmly believe - yet now all events are off, rightly. Surreal times. Feel blessed that we got the chance to enjoy it before the shutdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuesday - good
Wednesday - fair
Thursday - poor
Friday - excellent

Best bets
Saint Roi
Monkfish
Easysland
Min
Simply The Betts

Worst bets
Espoir De Guye
Shishkin (boatload of 5/2 and 9/4 with no BOG)
Defi
Appreciate It (jumped off Ferny ew)

Flukes
Burning Victory ew

Hard luck stories
Melon
Taking DDC out of my Coral Cup combos with Black Tears, Thosedaysaregone and Cracking Smart

Tuesday - good
Wednesday - fair
Thursday - poor
Friday - excellent

Best bets
Saint Roi
Monkfish
Easysland
Min
Simply The Betts

Worst bets
Espoir De Guye
Shishkin (boatload of 5/2 and 9/4 with no BOG)
Defi
Appreciate It (jumped off Ferny ew)

Flukes
Burning Victory ew

Hard luck stories
Melon
Taking DDC out of my Coral Cup combos with Black Tears, Thosedaysaregone and Cracking Smart

When you put up Saint Roi (I missed it) - what was your thinking behind it? open to improvement, laid out for the race or owner/jockey type theory

Guilt free aftertiming!

Up. Total fluke but credit for waiting for NRNB.

Best bet (January)
No Comment (Kim Muir) - NR
The Conditional (10/1 Ultima)
Easysland (9/2 XC)
Silver Sheen (Pertemps) - NR
Hazel Hill (Foxhat) - NR
10 x 1 pt trebles, 1ew pt fivefold returned 298 pts

Better to be lucky than good.

Last edited:
When you put up Saint Roi (I missed it) - what was your thinking behind it? open to improvement, laid out for the race or owner/jockey type theory

All of the above and a bit more besides, PJ.

If I was to heavily summarise, in a race like the Coral Cup, I guess I look less for the horses who look well handicapped, and more for those that make me think “What the fu*ck has he entered that for?”.

This applied exactly with Saint Roi. His bare form likely didn’t justify his rating, but it was reasonably solid, and he was totally unexposed. You then look at connections, and the suspicions start to rise. You then look at the Decs, decide if enough will come out to get a run, and then bet or not.

I have to be honest, I didn’t think it was all that earth-shattering a pick. I wouldn’t say it was obvious, but it did sort of jump right out at me, when I started to scratch about the race.

That was pretty much my thinking too with Saint Roi. I already had a fantastic antepost position on the race with Mohaayed 50/1, Ciel De Neige 33/1, and Aramon at 25/1 all each way. I hadn't felt the need to go back in again until I went back through the final decs, and the profile and connections of Saint Roi absolutely jumped off the page. And specifically why had Geraghty deserted Ciel De Neige who was antepost favourite for all of the same connections.

I was all over it, and also pushed the bet to all the crowd I was staying with. They knew the antepost position I had on the race and also saw the logic of why I'd change my position. I had a really good lump on at 48 hours and topped up again the night before. Then when his price completely collapsed on the morning everyone was 100% certain it was a plot.

If Presenting Percy (12/1) had got placed, I would have won over £20,000 without a winner in the bet....Saint Calvados 20/1, Oldgrangewood 14/1, Discorama 20/1, Dynamite Dollars 20/1...E/W canadian.

I had the same selections with Us And Them 33/1, Put The Kettle On 20/1, Ronald Pump 33/1...in a bet with 11 selections E/W Trebles.

Last edited:
That was pretty much my thinking too with Saint Roi. I already had a fantastic antepost position on the race with Mohaayed 50/1, Ciel De Neige 33/1, and Aramon at 25/1 all each way. I hadn't felt the need to go back in again until I went back through the final decs, and the profile and connections of Saint Roi absolutely jumped off the page. And specifically why had Geraghty deserted Ciel De Neige who was antepost favourite for all of the same connections.

I was all over it, and also pushed the bet to all the crowd I was staying with. They knew the antepost position I had on the race and also saw the logic of why I'd change my position. I had a really good lump on at 48 hours and topped up again the night before. Then when his price completely collapsed on the morning everyone was 100% certain it was a plot.

Bollocks. You followed me in, you mincer.

:D

Back