Urban Sea- Dead

Guest_

At the Start
I know there is a thread for this but think she deserves it for herself. A tremendous broodmare and a real loss. Imagine the National Stud were devastated to lose her like this...

Outstanding broodmare Urban Sea dies

By Bloodstock World Staff6.18PM 3 MAR 2009
URBAN SEA, the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe heroine who founded an illustrious empire at stud, died on Monday morning at the Irish National Stud following foaling complications.
The 20-year-old mare, whose offspring includes Grade 1 winners Galileo, My Typhoon and Black Sam Bellamy, had produced a colt by Invincible Spirit. The foal has been placed under a nurse mare and is reported to be doing very well.
Irish National Stud stallion nominations manager Julie Lynch said: "Everybody at the stud is absolutely devastated. We were all immensely proud to be associated with such an outstanding broodmare.
"A mare like her comes along but once in a lifetime. Her foal is such a smashing colt, he weighed in at 130lbs and his nurse mare has accepted him without a fuss."
Trained by Jean Lesbordes, the daughter of Miswaki was a shock 37-1 winner ofEurope’s most prestigious race in 1993 when she was ridden by Eric Saint-Martin.

Urban Sea beat the Peter Chapple-Hyam-trained White Muzzle a neck into second in an Arc run on heavy ground at Longchamp.

She had a fabulous life and lived into a decent age but you have to be sad that she died foaling. If you've ever seen a mare with her foal you know how strong their instinct is to live with them. So sad that she did not get pensioned off and have a few years simply at grass.

I do feel for the National Stud - a terrible thing to have known her and then been helpless to save her.

Let's hope the foal gets a chance to do his dam proud.

Very sad to read this especially as I can claim to have known her albeit briefly. She came out to California to race while I was there and I met her as we got to know her handler, Lesbordes son. He was about 6ft 1 and used to wander around the stables area leading her alongside. She was quite small and slight with a hairy coat (they did clip her) and these huge ears. He totally worshipped her and she him. I backed her when she won the Arc as I knew how tough she was to have travelled around the world as much as she had and still performed to such a high level. He was tragically killed in a car accident not long afterwards - I think he got to see her win the Arc but not her success as a broodmare. It would be nice to think they are reunited at last.

What a sad end for her - such an outstanding mare.

Mares can have foals up to around 23 -25 but aged mares - ie mares over 19 or so, always run the increased risk each year of heamorrhaging when they foal. They are usually more difficult to get in foal as they age.

Very sad news and an absolute legend of a mare. they only come around very rarely and we will only appreciate her now she is gone. Does anyone have a list of her produce and their achievements?

HORSE SIRE(AWD) WINS PLACES RUNS £ PRIZE RPR DIST
Galileo (IRE) 98 h Sadler´s Wells(11.3f) 6 1 8 1,621,110.16 132 12f
Black Sam Bellamy (IRE) 99 h Sadler´s Wells(11.3f) 4 5 18 444,206.54 121 12f
My Typhoon (IRE) 02 m Giant´s Causeway(9.1f) 6 5 17 568,549.41 118 12f
Urban Ocean (FR) 96 h Bering(10.1f) 4 1 14 57,210.45 117 12f
Melikah (IRE) 97 m Lammtarra(10.5f) 1 2 4 83,280.00 116 12f
All Too Beautiful (IRE) 01 m Sadler´s Wells(11.3f) 3 2 6 163,412.68 113 12f
Sea The Stars (IRE) 06 c Cape Cross(8.6f) 2 0 3 69,772.06 110 20f
Cherry Hinton 04 m Green Desert(7.9f) 0 3 5 27,068.50 103 12f

Is this any good to you, Cantoris?

She failed to get in foal for the last few seasons as well.

Also produced Atticus (unraced) and Sea Legacy.

She was phenomenal as a brood mare and All Too Beautiful was one of the most gorgeous horses I have ever seen. Very sad for the mare to go like that and one would have hoped she would have had a few more years.

From Racing Post today - by Nancy Sexton

Urban Sea​
(Miswaki-Allegretta, by Lombard)​

Born​
February 18, 1989, bred by Marystead Farm

Major race wins​
Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe (Gr1),
Prix d’Harcourt (Gr2), Prix Exbury (Gr3), Prix Gontaut Biron
(Gr3), Prix de la Seine (L), Piaget d’Or (L), Prix du Fonds
European d’Elevage (L)

Progeny

1996 Urban Ocean (c Bering)​
won Gallinule S (Gr3),
Mooresbridge S (L), etc – sire

1997 Melikah (f. Lammtarra)​
won Pretty Polly S (L), 2nd Irish Oaks (Gr1), 3rd Oaks (Gr1)​
1998 Galileo (c. Sadler’s Wells)​
won Derby (Gr1), Irish Derby (Gr1), King George & Queen
Elizabeth Diamond S (Gr1); sire of New Approach, Soldier Of
Fortune, Teofilo, etc​
1999 Black Sam Bellamy (c. Sadler’s Wells)​
won Tattersalls Gold Cup (Gr1), Gran Premio del Jockey Club
– sire​
2000 Atticus (c. Sadler’s Wells)​
unraced​
2001 All Too Beautiful (f. Sadler’s Wells)​
won Middleton S (Gr3), 2nd Oaks (Gr1)​
2002 My Typhoon (f. Giant’s Causeway)​
won Diana S (Gr1), Mrs Reverse S (Gr2), Just A Game S (Gr2)​
2003 Barren to Sadler’s Wells
2004 Cherry Hinton (f. Green Desert)​
2nd Blue Wind S (Gr3), 3rd Kilboy Estates S (L)​
2005 Sea’s Legacy (c. Green Desert)​
exported to Qatar​
2006 Sea The Stars (c. Cape Cross)​
won Beresford S (Gr2)​
2007 Barren to Shamardal
2008 Slipped foal by Pivotal
2009 c. Invincible Spirit

Not sure I've this right but didn't G C go back to the US after a season or two at Coolmore ? Galileo will correct me if I'm wrong. Would guess if that's right, that they didn't want the mare to go to the US for coverings.

Not sure I've this right but didn't G C go back to the US after a season or two at Coolmore ? Galileo will correct me if I'm wrong. Would guess if that's right, that they didn't want the mare to go to the US for coverings.

I remember being at the sales chatting with some lads from the National Stud a few years back and there was rumoured to be a fall out between the mares owner and Coolmore (who were keen to purchase the mare).

I put it down as just rumour but it is interesting that she did not go to a Coolmore stallion from there on in.

Cheers Isinglass - saved me buying it at lunch :)

There is a bit more to it than what I posted - these are just the details of her career as racehorse and broodmare. The tribute is pretty good too. But not one of their best, should have had some decent photos of her. She was a stunning looking mare with bags of presence.

He's in the US with a 2009 fee of USD125,000

A chestnut filly by Giant’s Causeway fetched $600,000 at the Fasig-Tipton Selected Two Year Olds Sale at Calder on Tuesday to be the second highest priced filly of the sale.

Last edited:
Hmmm, makes sense if there was a fall out as I am surprised that the Coolmore news on their website does not include a tribute to the dam of their Champion Sire.

Thanks for that. Very interesting. More or less all her produce were group performers. What a mare.

I remember having a real soft spot for Urban Ocean....tough front runner who's attitude stood him in good stead in high grade races.

Back