US Presidential election 2016

Angling for a job in the energy department, who do you think came out with this

"I think a lot about the Department of Energy, because energy is my baby ... And if I were head of that, I would get rid of it. And I would let the states start having more control over the lands that are within their boundaries and the people who are affected by the developments within their space."
"So, you know, if I were in charge of that, it would be a short-term job. But it would be — it would be really great to have someone who knows energy and is pro-responsible development to be in charge,"
.......... "oil and gas and minerals, those things that God has dumped on this part of the Earth for mankind's use, instead of relying on unfriendly foreign nations for us to import their resources."

and yes it is the same person who has just said that immigrants coming to America, should learn to speak American

Go Sarahhhhhhhh !
And the Donald believes that she has a lot to bring to the table, and he would like her to be a player in his administration.
Surely a strong endorsement of the lady ?

That may be, but he's a 20/1 price to win the Republican nomination against the 2/1 Jeb Bush.

Just to bring this fiasco up to date. Trump is 7/2 now, and Jeb (sorry we aren't allowed to use the word Bush) is 6/1.

Bush has had to lay off some of his staff as he's failed to raise the money he thought he would last week, and had a particularly bad night at the third debate. Hillary Clinton probably won it !!!

The GOP field is frighteningly bad.

I don't see how Trump can expand his core vote but he's still leading the polls (just)

The real tragedy is each time he does this, his poll ratings increase! It's almost as if the American's are confusing their Presdiential election (well the Republican nomination anyway) with a reality show.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-national-gop-primary

So far he's managed to offend women (Megan Kelly and Carly Fiorina) Hispanics, Muslims (separate ID cards for them, albeit he's stooped short so far of suggesting that little cloth crescents be sewed to their clothing) Blacks, and now he's setting on the disabled vote too

The narrative surrounding his nearest challenger (Ben Carson) is almost as bizzarre. He's standing on a ticket that he used to have a temper problem and tried to murder someone in his family (believed to be his mother). Then he found God and changed his ways. (America loves a good comeback). Suffice to say he's then been called out on it with the suggestion that he's made it up to make him more popular (the attempted murder that is, not the finding God bit). So he finds himself campaigning on a ticket now that people should vote for him because he is indeed a reformed potential murderer, which makes more electable it seems.

Incidentally, it's worth reflecting on Trump's ISIL policy which is "to bomb the hell out of them". I actually think this is quite a smart move (electorally speaking) as he's pre-emptively got first mover advantage on the emotional answer to a major crisis vote! I don't think it's asking us to make a wild leap of imagination to see an incident between now and November 2016 and it's possible he could ride a wave of temporary popularism in this direction. Pu tit like this, the people who were predicting his demise over the summer, aren't quite so confident all of sudden

Last edited:
He has the highest negative ratings of any candidate since 1980 I read somewhere.

He is not winning america at all. I'm sure smug lefty old europe would live to think that the dim colonials know no better

He has the highest negative ratings of any candidate since 1980 I read somewhere.

He is not winning america at all. I'm sure smug lefty old europe would live to think that the dim colonials know no better

I suspect they'd prefer Hillary

I can't see Trump winning this, as I don't believe he can take the White House based on the narrow constituency to which he's appealing. The numbers don't stack.

His only hope is for a seismic event, but I wouldn't be confident enough to say that's not possible either

Donald Trump is just 3/1 to lay on the betting exchange Matchbook to be the Republican party.He has been matched today at 2.0 to win the New Hampshire Primary on Betfair

Republican New Hampshire Primary

6/5 Donald Trump

7/4 Marco Rubio

5/1 Chris Christie

6/1 Ted Cruz

6/1 Ben Carson

9/1 Jeb Bush

Next President

4/5 Hillary Clinton

9/2 Marco Rubio

8/1 Donald Trump

18/1 Ted Cruz

20/1 Jeb Bush

20/1 Bernie Sanders

Republican Candidate

13/8 Marco Rubio

3/1 Donald Trump

5/1 Ted Cruz

8/1 Jeb Bush

16/1 Chris Christie

40/1 Ben Carson

Democratic Candidate

1/10 Hilary Clinton

8/1 Bernie Sanders

Last edited:
200,000 signed petition now to ban this hate preacher. Oh i'm sure this is exactly the sort of thing the government really wanted when they introduced the debate petition, banning President Trump from the UK :lol:

If that "next president" betting was a handicap hurdle at Plumpton..the form readers would be having both testicles on the favourite to win when they saw Trump at only 8/1..

Last edited:
200,000 signed petition now to ban this hate preacher. Oh i'm sure this is exactly the sort of thing the government really wanted when they introduced the debate petition, banning President Trump from the UK :lol:
Even as presidential hopeful, Trump will never be banned from the UK. It isn't going to happen; Osborne confirmed that at PMQ today. The government are to ignore the petition.

He (Trump) is being vilified for what he said, but I think he is only iterating what a lot of Americans privately think. I fail to make the connect between what he said about further Muslim immigration into the U.S. and "hate speech". Maybe someone could help me out with that. If I don't want to welcome a Muslim into my home, I'm free not to do so, no?

So, 200,000 have signed the petition. Where was it taken -- outside the Finsbury Park mosque? :lol:
How do those 200,000 equate their signing with the notion of the right to free speech?

A truer snapshot of the public mood might result if a petition was organised to invite Trump into Britain !

On Betfair Trump is currently ~11/1, which I sincerely hope is far too short and Clinton ~2/7, which I sincerely hope is far too long

Trump, an archetypal rabble rouser, can't possibly become even the Republican nominee can he? can he??

Last edited:
Logic says no. The numbers say no. But fewer commentators are prepared to say definitely no. The odds are probably about right I'd have thought, but should a couple of muslim terrorist incidents occur between now and then, then I'd be inclined to say all bets are off

I also note that he's been issuing threats tonight.

To the British people "you don't what you're getting yourself into" - the quote was linked to the petition, but it's not clear to me that he's necessarily been quoted context
To the GOP here appears to be indicating that might run as an independent should they try and disqualify him

Last edited:
He (Trump) is being vilified for what he said, but I think he is only iterating what a lot of Americans privately think.

I'm not so sure the reach doesn't go further myself. Sure his comments were aimed at America, and designed to appeal to a certain type of American for pretty obvious reasons. What has been very unusual though is the way that Europe in particular seems to have picked up on them and almost invited itself into the debate. I do wonder if Trump is starting to become not just the voice of "what a lot of Americans privately think" but also what a lot of Europe might think too? Certainly the weekends results from France don't look to be out of step. Is he starting to set fires simmering elsewhere? Is he actually plugging into something much more global? Might he start to evolve into something of the head of an international campaign?

He's had an 8pt bump and opened up a 20pt lead now in South Carolina (first state polled since his ban muslims from America policy). He definitely seems to be appealing to something, but surely for every right wing republican he recruits, he's alienating the middle ground

350,000 have signed now apparently - oh what a headache for party managers. It's a bit of a lose/ lose really, just a question of working out which is the least damaging and that would be to duck the debate I reckon, albeit perhaps shifting it round inclusivity might be a compromise

It's perhaps symbolic of where we stand in the world at the moment that on the day that Angela Merkel wins Time Magazines person of the year for her humanity etc that Al Baghdadi was runner up - Trump took the defeat with customary good grace incidentally!!!

Last edited:
Logic says no. The numbers say no. But fewer commentators are prepared to say definitely no. The odds are probably about right I'd have thought, but should a couple of muslim terrorist incidents occur between now and then, then I'd be inclined to say all bets are off

hmm...may be. I don't pretend to understand the American psyche and still haven't got over them electing Ronald Reagan; who however didn't prove to quite be the disaster I anticipated. The President of the USA doesn't actually wield much power and should the unthinkable occur I'd expect the Senate and Representatives to keep him in check

It's a shame the Republicans can't find anyone half-decent to oppose Trump. From what little form study I've done the field seem a most unattractive, third-rate bunch

So, 200,000 have signed the petition. Where was it taken -- outside the Finsbury Park mosque? :lol:
How do those 200,000 equate their signing with the notion of the right to free speech?

A truer snapshot of the public mood might result if a petition was organised to invite Trump into Britain !

hoing back to validity of polls....if i "polled" 1000 of those 200,000..and asked them if they wanted Trump here...i'll guarantee I could run a cracking newspaper headline stating.."UK is 100% against Trump coming here"...1000 people polled

people could then quote that poll on forums such as these as gospel.."well they asked 1000 folk"..it must be true eh?

Last edited:
You don't need a poll though.

"Respected" (yes Trump did describe her as that), "respected British columnist", Katie Hopkins, (that would be fifth columnist I assume) has said "25% of us here in the UK are right behind Trump"

You see she's extrapolated a combination of UKIP support plus her own hunch, and produced a figure that has now gone out coast to coast across the US. I should say however, whereas she might have over-exaggerated slightly - I wouldn't have thought she was that far off the money so long as the "right behind" was restrcited to a temporary ban on muslims entering the country

Last edited:
"Respected" (yes Trump did describe her as that), "respected British columnist", Katie Hopkins, (that would be fifth columnist I assume) has said "25% of us here in the UK are right behind Trump"

You see she's extrapolated a combination of UKIP support plus her own hunch, and produced a figure that has now gone out coast to coast across the US.

In fairness to Trump and La Hopkins, their figures are substantive taken as they are from a YouGov poll published this morning.
The YouGov poll found that 30% of Conservative voters and 60% of Ukip supprters agree with Trumps stance on Muslims. A bedrock 25% overall of Britons across all parties agree with him -- and a further 11% "somewhat" agree.

Of course, the media is burying this -- preferring to focus instead on the 400,000-signature petition wanting him banned.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog..._agrees_with_trump_on_muslim_immigration.html

Even as presidential hopeful, Trump will never be banned from the UK. It isn't going to happen; Osborne confirmed that at PMQ today. The government are to ignore the petition.

He (Trump) is being vilified for what he said, but I think he is only iterating what a lot of Americans privately think. I fail to make the connect between what he said about further Muslim immigration into the U.S. and "hate speech". Maybe someone could help me out with that. If I don't want to welcome a Muslim into my home, I'm free not to do so, no?

immigration is a privilege not a right. So what if any country says no to muslims. I don't agree with most of his comments or views but they have no right to demand entry. If they are bothered about discrimination I suggest they take a good look at pots and kettles

they may well find that the kafir pigs and dogs are actually allowed an opinion inthe civilised world

i have no real problem with immigration but there can be little doubt that many are only emigrating to the west for economic not cultural reasons.

no religion or cultural grouping of any sort cones any where near as close to islam as being so very hostile to western liberal values. Aside from fellow travelles on the mysoginist anti Semitic far left they are pretty friendless here.

it also comes down to numbers . Just as saudi would not be comfortable with it being being the sudden centre of the gay cruising world then I see no reason why the west should be accepting and tolerant of huge numbers who belive you should have your head sliced off for writing a novel

Last edited:
Absolutely spot-on !
And how about Saudi Arabia and Qatar etc who refused to allow admission to even a single refugee -- their own Sunni brothers -- on the grounds that they may be a threat to national security. How come no concerned petitioners jumping up and down about that?

It's a joke ...... demanding that Trump be denied entry to UK because he is a "hate preacher"; what about the Islamic hate preachers already walking the streets of Britain, sometimes even with police protection.

I only saw her talking head, hadn't realised there was a poll, albeit 30% & 60% of the respective voting electorate for the parties concerned would be about 20% of the people, but I think it's fair to accept that Labour wouldn't exactly be clean of this attitude - so yeah, she's probably pretty close to being on the money - not that, that's any excuse for describing her as being "respected".

Trump's latest tweet also has accussed the UK of trying to "disguise its muslim problem"

I'm aware of a something that a few American's are discussing called the George Costanza theory (never heard of it myself but I believe its close to the Peter Principle). This is the only way they can explain Trump's deliberate stupidity. The theory runs that the more he's dug into this, the more the idea of becoming PotUS has spooked him as he comes to realise he has neither the energy or marbles for the job and won't be able to run it like one of his corporations. His ego however, won't allow him say so. Costanza was someone who wanted out but couldn't bring himself to resign. Instead he kept trying to invent ways to get fired, but instead, every stupid thing he did got him promoted

Last edited:
Absolutely spot-on !
And how about Saudi Arabia and Qatar etc who refused to allow admission to even a single refugee -- their own Sunni brothers -- on the grounds that they may be a threat to national security. How come no concerned petitioners jumping up and down about that?

It's a joke ...... demanding that Trump be denied entry to UK because he is a "hate preacher"; what about the Islamic hate preachers already walking the streets of Britain, sometimes even with police protection.

Or with the support of a political party leader

I'm aware of a something that a few American's are discussing called the George Costanza theory (never heard of it myself but I believe its close to the Peter Principle). This is the only way they can explain Trump's deliberate stupidity. The theory runs that the more he's dug into this, the more the idea of becoming PotUS has spooked him as he comes to realise he has neither the energy or marbles for the job and won't be able to run it like one of his corporations. His ego however, won't allow him say so. Costanza was someone who wanted out but couldn't bring himself to resign. Instead he kept trying to invent ways to get fired, but instead, every stupid thing he did got him promoted
It makes for entertaining reading, but it's not anywhere realistic.
The truth is that the Donald has found for himself a platform and a set of policies that appeal to a large number of Republican supporters, and he is milking this to the last drop. It's working; the latest NYT/CBS poll shows him substantially increasing his lead -- he is 19 points ahead of the second-place GOP candidate ( Cruz) and now has 35% of the Reublican vote. This poll was taken after his anti-Muslim rhetoric of a couple of days ago.

Further, he is running what must be the most efficient and cost-effective campaign in American political history. He has spent a total of £350,000 on advertisements against Jeb Bush's $41 Million -- and yet he (Trump) is wall-to-wall on primetime TV and in constant demand for interview with national media across all platforms.

there is a saying..leave em alone long enough..and they'll pair up..proven time and again..what a classic pairing..and they have so much in common..well not the hair but..you can't have everything

maybe we could have a poll about the hair

Last edited:
Back