US Presidential election 2016

And now Bloomberg have just published their poll which finds that 65% of Republican primary voters support Trumps "ban Muslim" stance. Two-thirds.
This guy is becoming a really serious contender for the Republican nomination, reflected in Betfair's 6.8 yesterday dropping to 5.0 currently.
His formula is working; his rhetoric is resonating with the core Republican supporters.

Oh I certainly wouldn't rule him out winning the nomination. New Hampshire looks like his to lose, and he's sitting pretty in South Carolina which is another early voter. If he hadn't be so daft as to describe Iowans as "stupid" he'd be leading there, but instead they're turning to his increasingly desperate imitator, Ted Cruz. I reckon if he apologised to Iowa he'd win there, but I don't think Trump's ever said sorry to anyone

I'm sure I read somewhere that no one had failed to win either New Hampshire or Iowa and gone onto secure the nomination? Don't know if that's true?

OK I can clear this up, since 1976 when proliferating primaries and caucuses became the basis for selecting convention delegates, there has been a total 20 doubled up events held between Iowa and New Hampshire 10 years x 2 parties. The candidate who went onto secure the nomination was successful in 19 of them if paired together.

That sounds a bit wobbly. Perhaps it might be better illustrated by saying only Bill Clinton in 1992 (the comeback kid) failed to win either and went onto win the nomination. The worst result in Iowa was John McCain (4th). New Hampshire has selected 8 of the last 10 successful Republicans. Iowa has selected 8 of the last 10 successful Democrats

Basically the stats say that by the time New Hampshire is called, it'll be at least a two horse race in both parties provided someone hasn't won both. Remember Rudi Guliani who was the early favourite but made the fatal mistake of sitting out the first two? He bombed thereafter and was finished

And now Bloomberg have just published their poll which finds that 65% of Republican primary voters support Trumps "ban Muslim" stance. Two-thirds.
This guy is becoming a really serious contender for the Republican nomination, reflected in Betfair's 6.8 yesterday dropping to 5.0 currently.
His formula is working; his rhetoric is resonating with the core Republican supporters.

He was 4.0 before the Muslim comments.

US Election 2016, and the Perils of Polls

US Election 2016: The Perils of Polls…The Vikings wounded aren’t even walking (getting to know Shaun Prater and Anthony Harris)…There will be some basketball played at a Cyclone pace in Hilton Coliseum…

With the college football board having a little downtime before the bowls begin (we will begin sorting through them next Monday), this becomes an opportune time to introduce a topic that should bring a great deal of interest over the next 11 months – the outcome of the 2016 U.S. Presidential election. I know the perils already of putting such a hot button topic in play, because of the passions involved when it comes to this particular medium, but through the course of the various sports cycles the discussions here have been at high levels. I expect more of the same in what is going to be a fascinating episode.

This election brings such interest because the betting markets will have to work without something that many have grown comfortable with in recent election cycles – having a multitude of quality polling information to sift through. That has already changed drastically, which leaves this marketplace wide open for the shrewd handicapper to maneuver his way through, especially with more information likely to be distributed about this election across the various media platforms than any in history. Much of that information is going to be wrong, some of it intentionally so, which means that there is work to be done.

Let’s first define the game that many of you will be getting involved in, and then deal with those polls.

Item: This is what you are actually betting on

The Mediaverse can not help but turn any US Presidential election into a battle for the rights to all eternity, Good vs. Evil clashing on a grand scale, with Armageddon looming. And why not, it sells. The reality is much different, with the likelihood that despite all that you will read and hear, the outcome is going to come down to how a small handful of states play out.

The Red/Blue divide in the United States is a wide one, the gap between the two arguably as big as it has been in my lifetime, largely through so many for-profit media outlets needing to build and maintain the divisions, because there are dollars involved. Folks from each side relish hearing the narratives that confirm their own predispositions, so it becomes Michigan/Ohio State or Auburn/Alabama football, or Duke/North Carolina basketball, on a national scale.

What this does is bring a strong degree of predictability across many states. The overwhelming majority of voters will already be locked in to their positions, for many regardless of the particular candidate, and that is so very important to understand going in. Here is the way I have them graded just within the one year mark pre-election -

Dead Red Republican (191 Electoral College votes): Alabama (9), Alaska (3), Arizona (11), Arkansas (6), Georgia (16), Idaho (4), Indiana (11), Kansas (6), Kentucky (8), Louisiana (8), Mississippi (6), Missouri (10), Montana (3), Nebraska (5), North Dakota (3), Oklahoma (7), South Carolina (9), South Dakota (3), Tennessee (11), Texas (38), Utah (6), West Virginia (5), Wyoming (3)

Hot Pink (15): North Carolina (15)

True Blue Democrat (217): California (55), Connecticut (7), Delaware (3), D.C. (3), Hawaii (4), Illinois (20), Maine (4), Maryland (10), Massachusetts (11), Michigan (16), Minnesota (10), New Jersey (14), New Mexico (5), New York (29), Oregon (7), Rhode Island (4), Vermont (3), Washington (12),

Shaded Blue (36): Iowa (6), Pennsylvania (20), Wisconsin (10)

Battleground (79): Colorado (9), Florida (29), Nevada (6), New Hampshire (4), Ohio (18), Virginia (13)

This breakdown is important. For all of the philosophical discussions about modes of government and the various issues attached, as long as the Electoral College remains the way that Presidential elections are determined, the realities of the current map plays such a critical role. The odds of the Democratic party capturing any of the Dead Red are quite slim, and the odds of the Republicans turning any of the True Blue about the same, if this was to be a typical cycle. Which means that this is not a game that will start with a jump ball between players of equal size, but instead one that begins with the Democrats already holding a meaningful lead – if my version of a Daily Racing Form is correct, the Democrats bring what is likely a 253-206 advantage heading in to those swing states, which means that a victory can be as simple as maintaining their strongholds and only winning Florida, of the states that I believe are in play.

But what if this is not a typical cycle? It is the entry of Donald Trump into the mix that may be changing the picture. Trump’s magnetism has brought a new dimension – there are a lot of disaffected voters in this country who are tired of the “same old, same old”, and that appears to be the catalyst for what on the current surface makes him the Republican front-runner in much of the current polling. One would also think that it would make him the front-runner in the betting markets for the Republican nomination, and also the #2 behind favored Hillary Clinton for the general election, but that has not been the case (this is the tracking source I will use through most of the cycle, if someone knows of a better one please pass it along).

Why are the betting odds running so differently than the polls? Because those setting the odds, and those betting the kind of money that would shift them, have become aware of something that is changing the landscape -

Item: The Polls ain’t what they used to be

I am going to link out for much of this to avoid becoming long-winded, leaving you the option to read in detail for as much as you wish, but the gist is that as the global population moves away from land-lines to cell phones, the old polling models are slowly vanishing down the drain. You can read a good primer on that from this past June in the New York Times, and only a few months after that article came the announcement that Gallup, among the oldest polling organizations around, will not be involved in tracking the head-to-head 2016 race.

This becomes one of the major questions for the political handicapper – which sources of information will you trust. In recent elections in both Israel and the United Kingdom the evidence continued to mount of the weaknesses of modern polling, and that should have everyone on their toes (I have a lot of additional links from those elections, should you wish to make a deeper study of them).

That leads to one of the key aspects of the current marketplace – how much of the Trump activity can be considered a legitimate measurement of public opinion, enough to sustain and then impact the general election? Here is a problem along that front - his involvement in the Republican debates has been a financial windfall for the cable networks, and across the Mediaverse spectrum running articles either for or against Trump have become a good way to generate eyeballs. By showcasing his positive placement in the polls these outlooks are helping to keep that fire alive, which indeed serves their purposes. What is troublesome is that the current polls are being treated with the same regard as they had been through past cycles, despite what should be an emerging awareness across the elite media circles that their accuracy may be limited. That is a legit concern to someone investing in the marketplace.

Of course, part of the media savvy in getting what they can while they can is also the history that tells them of early front-runners that were not built to go the distance. That is also something for the serious handicapper to consider, and this look back through the years by Politico is a good primer along that front. Is the current Trump showing a genuine force? Or is it a wind that may shift over time? The fact that money can be wagered makes it an invigorating study.

Item: Setting up your own modeling

Both the student of politics, and the investment-oriented handicapper, can find much to absorb and learn from in the energizing process of sorting through just how an electorate shapes up. And yes, like in the sporting events we sort through each day, there are some numbers to crunch. One of the better places to do that is this interactive chart from Nate Silver’s 538, which will be a good source of info over the next year. You can learn a lot about the possibilities through those models, but let me cut-and-paste a couple of the categories from the modeling that will play a big part, and can be used in your own processes -

NON-COLLEGE-EDUCATED WHITE

Whites without college degrees are now the bedrock of the Republican coalition: They voted for Mitt Romney 62 percent to 36 percent in 2012. However, their share of the electorate is rapidly shrinking: They skew older and more rural, and we project that their share of the national vote will fall to 33 percent in 2016, down from 36 percent in 2012. Nonetheless, they still factor heavily in battleground states such as Iowa, New Hampshire, Ohio and Wisconsin.

BLACK

Blacks are consistently Democrats’ best demographic group. Not only did they give Obama 93 percent of their vote in 2012, their turnout rate of 66 percent that year was 2 points higher than that of whites. If black turnout drops in 2016, Democrats will have much less room for error in key states such as Florida, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia.

The first of those categories may correlate with the Trump popularity to this point, since logic would dictate that he would draw well from that base. The second also matters significantly in that while the black vote will still skew heavily Democratic, the turnout is likely to be lower than it has been over the past two cycles. Plenty of food for thought here.

This should be enough to get the ball rolling. The follow-up thread will be a good place for you to bring in your own ideas, and in particular those from various states that believe their local color may change. I would be extremely surprised if any of the strongholds shifted, but there are those key swing states in play, and the first to get a feel for where they are going can also be the first to lock in good wagering positions.

Links mentioned in the post:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/21/opinion/sunday/whats-the-matter-with-polling.html?_r=2
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/gallup-poll-2016-pollsters-214493
http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-israel-polls-wrong-20150318-story.html
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/what-we-got-wrong-in-our-2015-uk-general-election-model/
http://www.politico.com/gallery/201...early-front-runners-nomination-002138?slide=7
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-swing-the-election/

He was 4.0 before the Muslim comments.
Yes, and then went out to mid-sixes after the comments. The thing is that every time he says something controversial, the news media and political analysts expect a drop-off in his support but the opposite happens -- with every contentious speech he makes, he actually gains extra support.
Hence, after the NYT and the Bloomberg polls were published yesterday that showed this latest increase in support, -- post-Muslim ban -- the odds dropped back to the current 4.9

Why are the betting odds running so differently than the polls? Because those setting the odds, and those betting the kind of money that would shift them, have become aware of something that is changing the landscape -

Item: The Polls ain’t what they used to be

I came to a similar conclusion after the pre-election polls on the British General Election got it so wrong in underestimating the Conservative vote back in May.
It's interesting that the author of the article blames recent polling anomalies on the rise of mobile phones over landlines.
Good article.

I think there's always been a tendancy not to want to admit to pollsters what people regard as a slightly embarrassing vote (usually where perceived greed, or something socially less acceptable is associated with the choice). In the UK it's called 'shy Tories' and after 1992 the polling firms are supposed to have factored it in. There has to be a chance if the same thing happens in the US that Trump could benefit from it, as people might not like to admit it, but privately agree. It's only worth about 1-2% but than can be critical

The saving grace is that the Democrats aren't exactly in disarray, but they are likely to have a candidate who is almost as divisive and carries alot of baggage herself.

The Republican's need to win Pennsylvania and critically, Ohio. Can Trump reach out to these voters?

The saving grace is that the Democrats aren't exactly in disarray, but they are likely to have a candidate who is almost as divisive and carries alot of baggage herself.

The Republican's need to win Pennsylvania and critically, Ohio. Can Trump reach out to these voters?
The Prez election is eleven months down the road, Warbs, and a lot can happen 'twixt and 'tween. Stuff could happen in that period in a global context that we cannot even currently imagine. Also, it's hard to debate with any authority/confidence when we don't as yet know who the GOP contender will be. Who Hillary's opponent will be is going to be a major factor in the outcome.
The question should be -- is the Donald a plausible bet to win the Republican nomination? After that, the discussion on the Main Fight can begin. :)

Where's trackside these days? He was a very-close observer of the US political scene (amongst other things) and was usually on-the-money.

To quote Colin's tag-line, "Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......"

While Trump is well ahead amongst registered Republicans, his approval rating with all voters is miles lower than Clinton's and even behind Obama. However, there is still a fair time until the primaries and even longer to the main event and you wouldn't be surprised if an atrocity attributed to Islamists happened at a critical time.

To quote Colin's tag-line, "Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......"

While Trump is well ahead amongst registered Republicans, his approval rating with all voters is miles lower than Clinton's and even behind Obama. However, there is still a fair time until the primaries and even longer to the main event and you wouldn't be surprised if an atrocity attributed to Islamists happened at a critical time.

First part is right. said it before. His negative ratings across all voters are apparently the worst for any candidate since 1980 .

For or those hoping to have a good sneer at Americans for being closet facists, I think there is going to be a real disappointment

The more i see and hear Trump the more i realise that Tyson Fury could near enough become President ..can we get him US citizenship quickly and just pretend he was born there?

Trump is present at this first one..and he's not laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Km4R377s4M#t=129

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLWaoMCUg0g

If you're looking for car crash material, then this woman is still the benchmark they all have to get below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5X...LWaoMCUg0g&annotation_id=annotation_744392553

I noted a couple of days ago how Trump is seemingly turning the race for the Republican nomination into some kind of global debate about Islam, with him as its unofficial international cheerleader. Now it seems the Saudia Arabians have entered into it telling him that's he's a "disgrace to America" and calling on him to withdraw

I suspect this probably plays into Trump's hands given that the demand comes from an unelected member of a dynastic monarchy. Indeed, Trump's wasted no time pretty much saying that you can use your "daddy's money" to push other Americans around and make other politicians jump to the Saudi tune, but don't think you can do it to Donald J Trump, so butt out of our affairs

In other developments, Anonymous have put him on notice too

"We are Anonymous
We are legion
We don't forgive
Expect us"

Now it seems the Saudia Arabians have entered into it telling him that's he's a "disgrace to America" and calling on him to withdraw

The seer neck of that Saudi prince is staggering. He's quick to Twtter about Trump's Muslim ban but pointedly ignores his own country's refusal to take in a single Muslim refugee/asylum seeker. And when his country allows the building of a Christian church in Riyadh, then he can take the moral highground of lecturing others on religious tolerance.

Two developments today in Europe which will be grist to Trump's mill and will be seen as a vindication of his policy to ban or screen Muslim immigrants:
Two Syrian "refugees" caught in Switzerland with explosives and a "toxic gas". Chemical attack in the planning?
Two Iraqi Syrian residents of a refugee centre in Finland arrested for having killed 11 civilians in an Islamic State massacre in their homeland. ISIS plants posing as refugees?

In other developments ISIL advance in Libya and are now in control of Sabratha (50 miles from Tripoli)
http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/IS...SCO-heritage-site-of-Sabratha-in-Libya-437097

Also The Gambia declares itself the world's third Islamic Republic (Iran and Afghanistan)
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-islamic-republic-says-president-yahya-jammeh

It did set me wondering actually whether we might see a future whereby war is declared by non-state actors, and government's are by-passed as armed groups form and basically use the internet to declare on each other? Effectively private armies loosely bonded by a cause fighting each other ad hoc

What would be the impact of a mad mullah saying a vote for Donald Trump will be interpreted as a declaration of war on Islam by the US, and they then follow that up with a couple of street attacks? Or the issuing of a fatwa on him? (I think it needs to come from someone who has a meaningful following).

Perhaps as the legitimacy of the nation state weakens, and it continues to lose it's grip, government's might find they're less able to command loyalty? People might increasingly begin to define themselves by other parameters, such as region, race, or loyalty to a private leader? It's not exactly new, as we've seen templates for it previous in medieval times, or the mercenary armies of the 1960's/ 70's that seemed to crop up all over Africa. It's almost weird that a spat on Twitter between (yet another) Saudi Prince and an American tycoon can even take place. The ramifications of this? well nothing at this stage, nor is it likely to be on this specific one, but its a slow erosion of the authority of the state in international affairs. Remember how impotent Obama looked a few years ago pleading with a mad pastor not to burn Qu'rans

I think on a low scale of course groups like Anonymous aren't too far away from this already, albeit they're the cyber arm of a non-state operator, but they declare their own wars without borders already

Last edited:
So Cruz now leads in Iowa by 10pts

Obviously the Donald's tactics of calling Iowans "stupid" didn't work, so instead he's decided to attack the newspaper that carries the poll.

It's an incredibly personalised and divisive politics, not unlike George Bush's 'you're either for me, or against me'. It seems to be a feature of Trump that he routinely ignores evidence and confuses his own opinion with the facts. He doesn't actually engage with facts. If he can't find something that supports his case he either makes them up, or completely twists something out of context

Another trait he seems to have is the stock he places on opinion polls or ratings as if they somehow become a fact, without recognising what it is any poll is really telling him. He's very fond of using ratings as a retort. Ratings are just a collection of opinions, captured in a snapshot. They aren't really evidence of anything substantive other than temporary sentiment. It might be fine for consumer trending, but extremely dangerous for policy formulation. It's why you fear he sleepwalks into the 'now' unable to read future situations beyond 6 months, and then finds himself wildly reacting with temper induced takes and ideas

The other thing he's fond of doing is trying to discredit anyone who takes a contrary view by framing their credibility through the amount of money they're worth

Anyway, Cruz is nearly as bad as Trump. He seems to be playing a high risk game of hoping that the Donald self-combusts leaving him as the natural inheriter of the right wing hawk vote. Every time Trump lurches to the right, Cruz follows him, albeit being careful not to travel quite so far. It's a risk because as Trump detaches himself ever further there is a chance that Cruz gets detached too, or that people think what's the point voting for the imitator when you can vote for the real thing

At this rate we're seeing a significant lurch to the right, with the centrist career politicians getting eclipsed. You suspect this particular wing of the party might collapse quite quickly after South Carolina or Super Tuesday, as the establoishment will want someone like Rubio or Bush to emerge uncontested and build an alternative platform. Bush looks like toast already

Last edited:
In other developments ISIL advance in Libya and are now in control of Sabratha (50 miles from Tripoli)
Tripoli would be a huge moral boost, but their capture and control of Sirte was the real strategic gain what with the huge oil reserves in the Sirte Basin and port facilities etc. There's no stopping them; it really is a crisis now. A short hop across the Med to Europe.
I gave us about twenty years of relative security in Europe if we were to be adept in defending ourselves; I consider that now to be an overly optimistic projection.

A couple of days ago Putin let slip perhaps his personal view on the issue; something which has seemed to slipped unnoticed by the media. Commenting on the launching of the new Russian "Calibre" submarine-fired cruise missiles against ISIS in Syria he said in effect: "We can fit the Calibre with a nuclear warhead, I hope that won't be necessary in the battle against Islamic State, but if needs be we shall." Putin alone amongst all the world leaders is the one who "gets it". The West seems to be in denial about the threat; hoping for the best. Obama a week ago said ISIS "is contained". Yeah, sure it is.

Incidentally, if the unbelievable came to pass -- Trump becoming President -- do you think he and Putin could work together? I reckon they have more in common than what separates them.

Both hate Islam
Both like territory/ real estate
Both are natural deal makers
Both are bullies and won't necessarily seek confrontation with each other

In the short they'd work together well, quite possibly to Europe's detriment. Trump in particular understands, and is impressed by scale. He'll value Russia's military against Europe's budget cutting and badly resourced efforts (he's already pointing out that Britain has provided more ISIL fighters than we have recruited new soldiers to our own army this last year - probably not true incidentally - but you can see his mentality). Strip out Britain and France, and there isn't a great deal left other than Germanys mechanised brigades and untried infantry. A lot of Europe's armies are very inexperienced in terms of combat experience, and if we're suddenly left to fight the North African coast we might find we struggle

In the longer term however, you'd expect the relationship to falter. One of the obvious fault lines will be how a post war Syria evolves. I think Russia will trade Assad in return for influence and the west coast area. I would foresee a partitioning that recognised a Kurdish state, but in return for that I wouldn't be shocked to see Trump trade parts of Ukraine

I don't think Trump will win the Presidency though, but then again, I'm not confident to definitely say he can't. I've got a feeling that when the wind goes out of Trump's sails it could be quite rapid, but I'm not completely convinced it's going to go out

Last edited:
Back