Vertically Integrated?

walsworth

Journeyman
The following job description was sent to me recently. I'm wondering just exactly what "vertically integrated" means, is it the same as "upwardly mobile"?

"Mechanical Engineers are urgently required to join this vertically integrated client who offer complete turnkey capabilities including front end consulting services, design & development engineering and in-house manufacture. The company support the complete productive life of systems right from initial concept through installation, commissioning and on site maintenance. To support extensive growth Mechanical Engineers are immediately required to work as part of project specific teams. Duties will include the production of design studies/calculations and design for manufacture, utilising 2D & 3D CAD (AutoCAD"

Oh, the balls that is Adspeak! Haven't heard that one before, but it's a corker. I'm not sure that it's upwardly mobile (aka 'on the go') because what it's trying to imply, with more vowels and consonants than a whole week of Countdown, is that it provides a complete package of engineering services. That's less than ten very simple words, not quite as inflated as the other effort, which would lead you to think they're working on a new universe and star system.

It's a buzz word relating to firm integration in terms of supply chain. An insurance broker linked to an insurance firm which supplies its products is vertically integrated much like any supplier of products through a retail sales channel.

In this example the whole firm is vertically integrated as it offers services right through the product chain. What the product is, is completely irrelevant really.

Last edited:
Dear Sirs

I am in receipt of your expostulatory invitation to consider redesignating my current remunerable employabilities. Due to the unnecessarily confabulated, not to say pompously over-inflated and impenetrable, jargon inherent in your missive and my concurrent disinclination to further investigatorial processes, please regard this as my formalised non-acceptance.

Yours, etc.

I don't think I've ever written a letter of resignation. I've always been made redundant, or I've come to the end of a contract. My CV does make sad reading, under reason for leaving most are "company ceased trading".
I think if did write a letter it would be:
Fee fi fo fum,
Stick it up ya bum!

I had to resign from my first two jobs because I was moving from the area (I had five official addresses in one calendar year!) and I've never resigned since. I've been made redundant once because the funding for my job with a charity ran out and more couldn't be secured. That wasn't nice.

I had a cracking resignation from my job just outside Taunton years ago, culminating with me throwing my grooming kit at the trainer... - but by far and away my worst thing was when i got laid off from my last job.

Dear Sirs

I am in receipt of your expostulatory invitation to consider redesignating my current remunerable employabilities. Due to the unnecessarily confabulated, not to say pompously over-inflated and impenetrable, jargon inherent in your missive and my concurrent disinclination to further investigatorial processes, please regard this as my formalised non-acceptance.

Yours, etc.

:lol:

How did I miss that??

Krizon is definitely one of the sharpest tools in any box.

I don't think I've ever written a letter of resignation. I've always been made redundant, or I've come to the end of a contract. My CV does make sad reading, under reason for leaving most are "company ceased trading".
I think if did write a letter it would be:
Fee fi fo fum,
Stick it up ya bum!

My first resignation (from FE) amounted to a verbal ding-dong with a senior manager and I ended up saying, "Your staff email yesterday said the college staffing was being restructured to help reduce costs. Make me an offer and I'll go!" I left that job on the last day of term and into a better one on the first day of the next one with a five-figure golden goodbye.

When I finally retired (early) I was asked to write a formal letter of resignation as a legal requirement. I think I wrote something along the lines of, "I hereby formally resign my position...etc... in acceptance of the authority's early retirement package as formally agreed (details)."

Last edited:
Back