What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squeeze this one in before the 'off'. The 19-runner first race sprint at York (14:45) is a wild-looking event, but will take a chance with Normal Equilibrium to make it two in a row....GL all today!

Last edited:
Phew, no excuses whatsoever, but he really did have a shocker of a run. Will back him next time out for sure.

3.35 Newbury MAMBO PARADISE

MAMBO PARADISE is my Nap selection today.

7 runners go to post with the top 4 runners in the field all having managed to win once already.

Elizabeth Flynn got off the mark at the second attempt and has since performed well enough despite not being placed last time out at the Chester meeting beaten only 4 lengths but I think will still find one or two too good today although the riders 7 pound claim will no doubt help.

Clouds Rest represents the R Fahey stable and on the back of a good opening run made no mistake 11 days ago when breaking Her duck and only won by a nose but it was fully 8 lengths back to the third and with Paul Hanagan in the saddle is not easily dismissed but the time of that win was relatively slow and to me needs to improve again to take this.

Spirit Of Xian is the Hannon runner who won this race 3 times back in 2009--2010--and 2011 and as you know is a stable who usually has the most number of 2 y o winners in a season as any other stable.

The Kodiac Filly scored at the first time of asking in a 16 runner affair at Newmarket scoring by a short head from the runner up Al Ghuwariyah and looks sure to put up a big effort to keep her unbeaten record intact and I would not want to put anyone off backing this one.

But for me MAMBO PARADISE looks to have the stronger form and rates my Nap selection today.

Runners from this stable ( Mark Johnston ) tend to usually need the first run of the season especially 2 y o runners who tend to improve on the back of the first run and to me having won first time out this fact looks a big plus in this ones favour.

The selection beat Al Ghuwariyah by an easy 3 lengths despite starting at odds of 16/1 and having met a little trouble in running and strictly on that form line should have the beating of the Hannon runner and rates my Nap selection today.

If only it was that easy we would all be rich and now I have picked this it will probably trail in last.

3 other runners complete the field but all are making their debuts and will need to be above average to take this at the first attempt.

=============================================

Rest of selections
-------------------------

2.15 York AMRALAH

3.25 Newmarket JUSTICE GOOD

I'm on 3 today:

Glens Diamond - Fahey at York, won the race last year and way overpriced for me at 20s, each way value definitely

Saptapadi - Ellison is another trainer who likes a winner at York, this one has course form and is 4lbs lower than a 4 length defeat in the same race last year

Grecian - Oisean Murphy on board for Cole. Still has a 3lb claim and in my view is good for it. It means he is 3lbs lower than his last run and is reduced in class. Expect a revival.

Will be doing each way perms and singles and hoping...!

Good luck all

Short notice I know and I am no flat expert, but just noticed Cubanita beat Noble Mission in her last race and NM has won twice since and now rated 117.

Cubanita 9/1 gets a little weight pull too today I notice.

Worth a bet for me.

Last edited:
I'm not having a good day either. I'm trying to figure out if I'm on non-triers or if the jockeys are getting it badly wrong tactically.

I need either Special Meaning or Clayton in the good handicap at Hamilton tonight to get me out of jail.

Haven't put one up for a while, but i thought that Hab Reeh absolutely scooted up last week and it usually runs well on its next run when it hits form. Captain Scooby has dropped to a very nice looking mark after a good run from 7lb wrong lto, looks the likely danger to me. 8.40 Hamilton.

Not posted here , fancy 4 at Hamilton

7.35 Special Meaning 3/1 betvic
2/2 at course , won listed race in a decent time lto and only a 1lb higher than when btn 3/4 Lengths on seasonal debut on penultimate run in a handicap where 2nd , 4th , 5th and 6th have all won since.

8.05 Centre Haafhd ew 11/2

5L behind New Bidder lto on seasonal return and finishing time decent enough , on same mark and has a CD win

8.40 Captain Scooby ew 11/2

Same mark as last two runs and although long losing run , has at least shown a bit of encouragement.

9.10 Bunce ew 16/1

Last run was a decent speed fig for the grade , now joined perrat who does well here.
Has been campaigned at 7f+ in career but stats alot better from 5-6f.record at 5f reads 42232 (3 places from 5)

Good luck

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Haven't put one up for a while, but i thought that Hab Reeh absolutely scooted up last week and it usually runs well on its next run when it hits form. Captain Scooby has dropped to a very nice looking mark after a good run from 7lb wrong lto, looks the likely danger to me. 8.40 Hamilton.

A tad unlucky i think, both trade odds on!:whistle:

Mount Athos takes a drop in class and is currently favourite for the 2.05 at Newbury.

However it doesn't look any less competitive than his race 2 back at Meydan and I just don't trust him.

I much prefer backing Battalion EW @ 4/1 as I can't see anyway he wont be placed. He was very impressive a last time out and looks like a horse going places unlike Mount Athos.

Montiridge in the Lockinge. The drying ground could be against the fav and it's a decent each way race.

Starlight Serenade in the last at Thirsk. Tracker horse who should appreciate a step up to a mile. Dwelt at the stalls first time out before flying home over 7f.

Parbold (2.55) is better than these.
Set a modest early pace in the Free Handicap, and was consequently swamped by lesser horses. Unlikely to make the same mistake twice.

17/05/14

Todays selection for me as follows but short of time today. Had a busy morning that has put me behind.

THIRSK

2.15 BACALL

2.50 ELIZABETH ERNEST ( Ernest is my middle name so got to pick this one and my Mothers middle name was Elizabeth )

===========================

NEWBURY

2.05 BATTALION

2.40 BRONZE ANGEL

3.15 SATELLITE

3.50 TELLIUS

============================

NEWMARKET

1.45 EVIDENT

2.20 VAN PERCY

2.55 PARBOLD

3.30 STOMP

4.05 SLOANE AVENUE

4.40 KINSHASA

5.15 MINER'S LAMP

-----------------------------------------------------

Plus not backing these 2 below but added to the 4 above for the Scoop Six

THIRSK

3.25 LASTCHANCELUCAS

4.00 LORD AERYN

Not into listening to dogs bark but Curzon Line hasn't been seen since November after failing to act on a bit of a bog at Southwell. Back for a summer campaign I was told he is expected in the 3.40pm at Bangor.

Backed 1.45 Staffhoss ew at 25/1 last night

Inexperienced rider riding last 3 runs over a mile but best form at 7f. Won maiden at distance and went close off 10lb higher marks than this 67 it's dropped back down to , Joe fanning back on board , could be nicely weighted to run well

Set a modest early pace in the Free Handicap, and was consequently swamped by lesser horses. Unlikely to make the same mistake twice.

one of the most inept rides of the season, very unlucky not to win

Not often I'd have a go at a jockey, but - on a horse without an electric change of gear - that was a ****-poor effort from Tylicki.:mad:

5.55 Bahamian Sunrise ew 16/1

Varian 0/9 in 2yo maidens at Doncaster so chancing the fahey one.
Half sibling nothing much so far but dam was a 2yo winner and related to winners at 2. 2nd string on debut and should have learned a bit from that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back