What Car?

simmo

Senior Jockey
Prompted by Dessie's Sods Law thread I'd like to start one where we tell each other what kind of car we drive and what we think that says about us.

I drive a Skoda Fabia - which tells you that I am a skinflint who doesn't give a **** what anyone thinks. (and no - the brakes are not spongy)

Freelander 2 = company car, needed as three dogs & a caravan to tug around, had for approx. 3yrs, had an x trail for 6 yrs prior to that but constant fuel filter problems not covered by warranty costing over £300 at time saw us dump that make

Suzuki Grand Vitara Special Edition called Attitude. Bought new in 2008, only done 28,000 in it, never had a problem. First set of tyres did 26,000.

2005 Jaguar X-Type Estate 2.0D SE - originally a company car with a few extras fitted for the original owner. Bought at auction in 2008 for, if memory serves, £4000+change so it was a bargain at the time despite its 120,000 miles. I took it to about 170,000 in the first year and a half before I started staying in a flat nearer work and it's now up to 183,000.

That says it all about me... Always looking for something at a fraction of what it should cost.

Fantastic to drive but don't think I'll buy another as tyres and other parts are too dear.

I still want a high-spec beast with good reliability and not as expensive to run as it looks, though. I'm toying with the idea of a Skoda Superb or something like that in the likelihood that I won't find a Lexus to fit my budget.

Last edited:
aldaniti and DG - what do you think your car says about you as a person?

Look after things ( and people!) and they look after you. The four wheeled drive meant I could always get to work in severe wintry condition, a good attitude that my company ( and several trainers) had reason to be thankful for on many occasions.

I enjoy driving and drive around 20k miles per year. roughly 33:67 business and social/pleasure. Comfort and reliability are priorities. I have 2 cars:

1997 Toyota LandCruiser from new. Fantastic family car, used for camping and later sailing holidays in Europe, ferrying around large numbers of young football and rugby players, student moves and handling floods and snow.

BMW 730d. Perfect for long journeys, motorway driving and generally reliable. Timing chain snapped on way back from Italy this year destroying engine. Very expensive to repair but ultimately decided better to repair than replace with new equivalent. Bought 2yrs old.

Toyboata ;)

I've got a 54 plate Astra enjoy. Diesel.

Dirty inside and out.Goes wherever it's pointed, rarely breaks down - tho if it does it's usually something big, reliable and a lot more economical than people think. Not nececcarily the quickest but will nearly always do what it has to do.

The car isn't too far off that description either....

I drive a 63-plate BMW 320 M Sport in Alpine White......which probably confirms me as a right tosser.*

* Please delete "probably" as applicable

I don't have a car since I got rid of my last one a few years ago. I guess it's because I'm a faceless bureaucrat with zero personality.

3 cars? That's just greed.

Subaru is for work use only, the truck is for shooting (it is fitted with dog boxes and a gun safe) and polo/general horse stuff, the little sporty one makes me happy and is the original mark one and nearly "vintage" at 20yo. Greedy? Maybe but I love them for different reasons.

Back