What do you see as racing's biggest problem ?

Gave up watching it years ago...mostly drivel with the occasion, very occasional, interesting piece. But really not worth the time wading thro` the drivel for it, though.

Good list harry

Especially point 5

It is the very worst aspect of jumps racing that nearly everything up the the festival is viewed as "a trial" rather than a proper prize in its own right

Coming out of that is the ridiculous bollocks (bought into by too many on forums too) that horses can only be and have every right to be, fully fit once a season. This two runs a season stuff is too easily accepted.

Thats one area where flat easily beats jump racing. No one claims the derby is a "trial" for the arc or the eclipse "a trial" full of half trying half fit runners

I actually couldn't disagree with that more Clive. The Championship races at the Festival are exactly that. The Grade 1's are the pinnacle for any owner, trainer, and genuine race fan.

There would be no FA Cup final without the rounds before it. And just because a semi final has been played at Wembley it didn't make it the final. Racing isn't as structured as a Cup competition of course so its a loose comparison, but the fact remains the Grade 1's and Grace 2's throughout the season are without doubt trials. Semi finals I suppose. And just look at the debate on here all season. Surely it's irrefutable that its a good formula for racing not bad. Flat racing will always struggle to emulate this and the jumps will remain more popular because of this, and because flat horses don't have the longevity being packed off to stud early. Essentially, barring a few exception, in jumps terms their career is over at the end of their novice season.

Where I Tend to agree though is with the crossover point you make about horses that only have two or three runs a season. Hen kicked that one off of course, but I'm not sure you could blame the Festival or other races being perceived as trials. Best Mate, Bobs Worth, etc would still only have run three times anyway.

Last edited:
I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if I'm repeating stuff that has already been discussed at length.

Bloated fixture list as a sop to the bookies.
Too much bookie power.
Inconsistent application of rules by the BHA.
Too much pandering to the animal rights lobby, which has almost certainly had a counter-productive effect.
The cost of going racing.
The loss of 'proper' National Hunt bloodlines.
The shrinking gene pool in the TB population.

And not the biggest problem, but a growing bugbear of mine:

The increasing reliance on "arty" shots during C4's live coverage of races. Just show the action FFS, and save the industry award-winning angles for the replays.

For many years the car company's treated the second hand car market with distain, then they suddenly realised a healthy second hand market boosted the new car market.
I know it is a strange analogy but horse racing relies heavily on its second hand market and whether your buying, renting or even just viewing the product from a punting or attending position; if one goes, its for certain the other will too.

The wider public perception of racing and racegoers could use some revamping. Similarly to bigfow I invariably get a combination of three responses from work colleagues and acquaintances when I say I follow racing -

You don't look like a gambler :confused: - what does a gambler look like? and as I am strictly small stakes betting only I probably spend much less on horses than those saying this do on the lotteries and scratch cards I don't subscribe to (which they don't think is gambling :rolleyes:)

Some comment about being toffee nosed/rich - there seems to be some sort of perception that racegoers are either all wearing top hat and tails or are shady looking characters with roll up cigarettes hanging out their mouths and the racing pages of the Sun in their pockets

I thought you were an animal lover - how can you follow racing if you care about horses - although I am comfortable with debating this issue with anyone bringing it up the type of people who say this are usually those who have their own ideas/agenda and will not listen to any other viewpoint

Although I think Racing for Change have managed to address these issues to some extent, I feel there is a lot more to be done.

Back