What was your favourite Festival race ever ?

Diamond Geezer

Gone But Not Forgotten
Could be one or two contenders this year, but before they arrive which is your favourite memory from previous years ?

Has to be Desert Orchid's GC, but both happy and sad memory's, Dessie won through sheer determination and guts, we all know that he hated every minute of it! the sad memory was the lovely Ten Plus breaking his leg at the 3rd last fence.....so, bitter sweet emotions.

Also Doran's Pride 1995 World Hurdle, such a tough horse, always gave his all, and a personal favourite.

Hurricane Fly's first Champion Hurdle
Hurricane Fly's second Champion Hurdle
Hurricane Fly's third Champion Hurdle ;)

Easy for me... Foghorn Leghorn's Champion. You all know why.

However, had he lost there are many contenders for personal favourite:

The Dickinson Five
Willie Wumpkins's Third
See More Business's Gold Cup
Golden Cygnet
Comedy Of Errors regaining the title
Sea Pigeon for Francome

etc
etc

Last edited:
Moscow's second Champion Chase win.

That one too.

Watched it standing on a bench on the Members Lawn, beside two of the poshest people I've ever met................I think they learned a few new words that day. I also relieved one Barry Dennis of a chunk of his tank, which made it all the sweeter.

Silver Bucks oh and Big Bucks first World Hurdle . Nothing to do with the £25k he won me of course

Last edited:
2004 was a particular favoutite.

War of Attrition vs. Brave Inca
Kicking King vs. Well Chief
Hardy Eustace vs. Rooster Booster

And that's just the first 3 races.

Azrtyuiop vs. Flagship Uberalles
Iris's Gift beating Baracouda
Thinking Fundamentalist was the scond coming (he thumped Inglis Drever)
Best Mate's 3rd

And I won a bucket of cash in the handicaps and other races.

Edredon Bleu's Champion Chase win against Direct Route...probably not the classiest race but from three out the race and commentary are the best I can remember.

Both of Kauto's Gold Cups
Dawn Run's Gold Cup ("the mare's beginning to get up...")
Penzance's Triumph Hurdle - I was an Elite member at the time
Desert Orchid's Gold Cup

Desert Orchids GC without any doubt at all

Too many good ones after that but that is the absolute standout

2004 was a particular favoutite.

War of Attrition vs. Brave Inca
Kicking King vs. Well Chief
Hardy Eustace vs. Rooster Booster

And that's just the first 3 races.

Azrtyuiop vs. Flagship Uberalles
Iris's Gift beating Baracouda
Thinking Fundamentalist was the scond coming (he thumped Inglis Drever)
Best Mate's 3rd

And I won a bucket of cash in the handicaps and other races.

Jesus, what ever happened fundamentalist. Serious horse that day.

from a non punting perspective, sprinter sacre's arkle. i was there for it and he looked majestic in the paddock and put on an exhibition. was fantastic. looking back i look quite a mug for not backing him at evens. think it was cashback at paddy power for finishing 2nd in that race as well.

hurricane's second champion probably the best one where i actually won money. i suspect that will be displaced if he can do it again a week tomorrow.

Like Captain Christy, I always associate Dessie with Kempton more than Cheltenham.

Memories at Cheltenham include Monksfield's first Champion Hurdle, Dawn Run's Gold Cup, Brave Inca winning the Champion Hurdle on my first visit to the Festival, Best Mate's third Gold Cup, Denman and Kauto Star. As Telegraph letter writers say, I could go on...

Last edited:
Chief Dan George winning the handicap a couple of years back. Had followed him for years and to be there that day was magical. Other than that, Dessie [he brought me back to racing;thankfully at the time I didn't understand how dangerous it all was] and One Man winning the Champion Chase.

Desert Orchid was "the people's horse". In the late 80's racing was still one of the biggest sports with BBC Coverage.

I was a newbie working in the bank and couldn't believe it when the whole bank 50 staff, gathered around a TV to watch this race.

The race was like something out of a novel, he hated Cheltenham and to win up that hill was unbelievable.

Dessie stopped a nation and 100% got me into racing :<3:

Last edited:
On the telly - Dawn Run Gold Cup
On course - am split between Rock on Ruby Champ Hurdle (financial) and Rooster Booster CH (emotional), but would have to go with Rooster

Harry, I was part of exactly the same scene in an office in Ireland for Dawn Run's Gold Cup. A telly was installed in the canteen for the occasion. I doubt it happens now.

Back