White Christmas?

I remember hearing one story about how a Grand National winner used loads of butter in his horses hooves. My old boss used to use butter, too.

I thought that antibiotics were useless against viruses, only good against germs? Sounds like a week off with regular hot toddies might do the trick!

The first doc took a quick look at my throat and said, "Dear me, you must be in a lot of pain and discomfort with that. Let's zap it with antibiotics." Maybe he couldn't tell by looking at it that it was viral rather than bacterial. Maybe he just wanted to eliminate the possibility of a bacterial infection setting in.

The scond one concluded because my throat was still bad that it couldn't have been bacterial (otherwise the antibiotics would have nipped it in the bud).

Both sounded my chest and both said my chest was clear.

Both were on-call emergency docs at the local A&E.

The doc I spoke to yesterday was a locum (and very nice she was too!). She sounded my chest and identified noises that shouldn't be there. That was her cue to prescribe antibiotics. She also gave me a peak flow breathing test which wasn't bad by normal standards but my peak flow readings are usually at the very top end of the scale so they were well down on normal but OK as an average.

She said to take the antibiotics as prescribed, see how things go and if I didn't improve they'd send me for an x-ray.

That's how we stand.

I haven't felt particularly 'unwell' through all of this. I'm carrying on with business as usual but I don't think being outside shovelling snow for hours on end for days on end will have done me any good. My appetite has been OK. Not as voracious as it can be but I'm eating and drinking plenty.

It's only been yesterday evening and today that I've started feeling more 'virally', if I can coin a word.

I don't feel so ill that I feel I need to go to bed. That would make me feel a lot worse, I imagine.

Last edited:
Meantime the school might not open tomorrow again. Where it's located is very close to the place mentioned on the BBC today as having the deepest snow after Aviemore.

When I got home from work yesterday, amid a blizzard, there was a brilliant flash of lightning. No sound, which to me made it rather eerie.

That's the first time I've seen anything like that at this time of year.

I'll be amazed if we're called in to Lingfield tomorrow. It's always significantly colder there than in Brighton, where we have got crisply crunchy pavements covered in hard ice and frozen snow. It won't be so much the Polytrack, which can be harrowed free of frosticles, but the treacherously slippery sloping grounds around the stands and bars. I think calling off the meetings has as much to do with a fear of "injury lawyers for you" pouncing opportunistically nowadays as it has with other considerations such as getting any horses to the tracks.

I'm surprised you say 'because we're on the coast', given my experience of 100/100 heat and humidity in Saudi days - the (Arabian) Gulf was stunningly humid, while inland (Riyadh) was extremely hot, but dry. Someone I knew went to Phuket for several months in the winter, and although he'd worked in Bahrain and Saudi, said the heat was getting too much for him, too. More icy G&Ts should sort you out.

I think once you've been in smoggy Bangkok for a couple of days the relative clean heat of the coastal resorts is refreshing.

Spot on with the drink though. G&T is my tipple of choice of here as they don't have Murphy's or Theakston's.

Bangkok is foul, isn't it? My eyes started to smart after just a day there. My hotel room was not enough floors up - I'm sure that's why Asia keeps erecting high, higher, highest buildings, just to try to get away from the pollution. Fascinating places, though, and such charming and sweet-natured people. And the food! Mmmmm - I could eat tom yam any time, and the sea food. Everything so tasty, but without being spiced to death. Have you been to the live fish and sea food market, Euro? Worth a visit just to see what you can select for dinner. Cheers!

I stayed away from the outside food markets in Bangkok, didn't really trust them. Different story in Pattaya where we all tucked in every night.

Just on our way from Cambodia to Phuket. The former is to die for, so unspoiled and the locals were incrediby friendly - I imagine because they do get a better class of tourist there. Got some great pictures of the Temples in Siam Reap.

Also got some severe sunburn on my head:(

I ate copiously from almost nothing but outside food markets and stalls, in both Bangkok and Koh Samui - no probs at all. I'm not sure I'd want to go to Pattaya, since a friend was murdered there some years ago. Perhaps the beach is better policed now, but I'd still be a bit leery of the 'friendly' locals there! And I doubt I'll be going to Phuket, either, since the other pal who ran a guesthouse/bar there has also died... :blink:

Send us some photos, Euro!

Back