Who was the best horse never to win a Cheltenham Gold Cup

Florida Pearl did not stay plain and simple.
Review his RSA win and he was hanging towards far rail in the last 100 yds.

Beefy's fall in 2004 did for his love of Cheltenham.

Wayward Lad a bit like Florida though he was "short a gallop" in 86 according to Brad !

Brown Lad jumped too slow but unlucky not to get his ground in 78 (snow) and injured in 77 when going bottomless.
He still started jt fav in 79 as a 13 year old !

As for Tied Cottage ....

One Man was a cracking 3-miler but sadly not 3 and a quarter miler.

Halloween from the olden days would appear to have some supporters, too.

Beef or Salmon???? For real? the Gold Cup has never been 5 runners on heavy ground at Leopardstown!!!

One Man surely? Then Wayward Lad would probably get my vote

Can't really comment on anything before

Last edited:
Wayward Lad ( was robbed by the sudden introduction of the mares allowance) in 1986 . He was a brilliant horse but clearly had his troubles - his form in 1984 and 1985 had seemed on a downward slope until he came back with a bang in the 1985 KG .

Pendil and Bula - both top class 3 mile chasers but Pendil was done by his hopeless jockey twice . I am not so sure ,however that he would have won in 1974 Captain Christy was one hell of a horse on his day and thrashed Pendil in the 1974 KG .

Exotic Dancer - was a terrific horse and would almost certainly have won a GC in a normal era but running into Kauto and DEnman three times did for him in that race.

It is an insult to these horses to place Beef or Salmon in the same category - undoubtedly an irresistible force in Irish Grade 1 races run in a bog but never a GC horse - it needed rain all day in 2004 for him even to creep into the frame .

Last edited:
Looking at Timeform's ratings I suppose Flyingbolt would be the best horse not to win the Gold Cup.

The horses that spring to mind during the time I've been watching racing-

Carvill's Hill
One Man
Exotic Dancer
Gloria Victis
Jair Du Cochet
Teeton Mill
Rushing Wild
Florida Pearl

Head
Carvills Hill
Flodida Peardle
One Man

Heart
Doran's Pride
Beef or Salmon
Jair Du Cochet

Last edited:
Night Nurse, went chasing to late but still managed a second to Little Owl 182 rated over hurdles.

its been a while, he'll be back

Do you not know he was just being trained for the big day and lynch was told to not be hard on him against the other fit to the last horses

Last edited:
Back