Who's your fav guitarist?

harry

At the Start
Tony Iommi for me.

Just dug out my old live Sabbath stuff and the solo on the end of "snowblind" is simply the best I've ever heard.......talks to you!!

No wonder Ozzys a casualty having to listen to those solos on god knows what.

lucky *******:cool:

Used to be rock guitarists like hendrix but dave navarro is absolutely unreal and for singer songwriter james dean bradfield also jonny marr!:cool:

My favourite guitarists are all dead ones, regrettably.
in order:
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Randy Rhoads
Duane Allman
Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson

(R.I.P., all of them).

Agree Johnny Marr is right up there, also Andy Powell and Ted Turner from the original Wishbone Ash, Martin Barre of Jethro Tull, Jimmy Page, 'Miami' Steve van Zandt, Nick Harper (son of Roy, who's also pretty mean), Eric Clapton, Johnny Winter

Duane Allman is a good shout. Also Hendrix, Iommi and Eddie Van Halen.

Hate Clapton with a passion. Overrated c0ck.

Last edited:
Clapton (Cream+Bluesbreakers)
Jimmy Page
John McLaughlin (Mahavishnu Orchestra)
Wilko Johnson

Wilko Johnson is a terrific shout. One of the best bands I've ever seen live, the Feelgoods.

McLaughlin was technically wonderful, but his music was ghastly.

Last edited:
Joe Satriani, Rory Gallagher, Jimmy H. Claptout got lazy and sloppy, can't have him past his White Room days, and even then I thought he lacked subtlety of tone.

there was only one better guitarist than Clapton in the 60's..Hendrix

if you want to here what Clapton was really capable of then..you need to hear the bootleg of the Back Bay theatre gig with Cream..most people wouldn't believe it was the guy they have seen in the last 40 years

a big mistake to ignore those recordings..the live albums Cream made are pretty good..but they played it safe when they were being recorded..another ball game when not being.

if i only heard Clapton in the last 40 years i wouldn't be too impressed..even though he has had his moments..Don't Think Twice Its alright being one of those great moments..from Bob Dylans 30 anniversary concert in the early 90's..and the South Bank Show with Buddy Guy being another example from the late 80's..stormingly good playing..probably only Jeff Beck being better in the last 40 years

its not that he can't do it..he just doesn't want to play rock music

Jeff Beck is at the top of most guitarists lists..some of his stuff is amazing..but doesn't hold my attention long enough

Last edited:
You're right with the last sentence EC1.My cousin is an amazing guitarist & rates Beck,Satriani,Gallagher,etc. He's never put himself forward enough but really is an excellent player,he also teach's. Mind, he has been playing for 30+ years so should be half decent ;) If you get chance to hear or see them the band is called Diesel Vanilla (yes,I know,who??) they are out of Doncaster & play around the Yorkshire area.They have an album out but not sure how accessible it is at mo.He's very 'Alan Holdsworth' in style.

From the early days of Page & Blackmore through to Satriani & Vaughan I've liked em all but here's a few names that I always go back to.

Carlos Santana is high up the list,been there,seen it, got the T Shirt this guy & from very humble background. Amazing sound & emotive guitar playing,legend!

Bill Nelson. Unsung hero but unbelievable guitarist. If you've never listened to Views of a Yorkshire Landscape by Be Bop Deluxe do it now!!!

Alex Lifeson of Rush. Another one who as been around the block & back.Everyone knows that opening burst of Spirit of Radio but theres so much more.

So many more of course,BB King,Al Di Meola,Tom Morello,Gary Moore,etc,etc,the list go's on.

Santana one I overlooked, Blazers - unique sound. Heck, didn't know that Gary Moore squeezed in the riffs between training horses - what a multi-talent!

Santana one I overlooked, Blazers - unique sound. Heck, didn't know that Gary Moore squeezed in the riffs between training horses - what a multi-talent!

Well,he doesn't anymore Kri,he's brown bread!!!;)

You can add Mark Knoppfler to the list.

There are also some amazingly talented Metal guitarists too.

John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu stuff was always too much for me but he has done a huge range of other stuff. And don't talk about him in the past tense, he's still going strong on the jazz circuit.

His collaborations with Al Di Meola and Paco De Lucia, two other outstanding guitar players with their own distinctive style, would be my nomination.

Django Reinhardt was a wonderful guitarist too, who created a whole genre of jazz music, but I guess the younger members here would say the players of today are inevitably better due to better training techniques and feed?

Hmm... Mark Knopfler? Bit narrow in focus? Although brill at what he did at the time. Where the heck are most of them now? Are they on a concert circuit or are they providing back-up stuff for adverts and films?

Oh, surely Duane Eddy and his Twangy Gee-tar from the 1950s/very early 60s? About the same time that Gene Krupa was pretty much the only known name on drums! Drummers - gotta be Mad Ginger, surely? :lol:

Greys talking my language. Must say though that the electric guitar is the most boring of instruments. Too little room for subtlety

but krizon. Knopfler "narrow"? Ok compare with singers (far more interesting than a beefed up bit of machinery). Sinatra and Holliday did not have great range. Far from it, but my god, they hit the spots. Theres many a singer with huge range and yet zero connection

Music is not about pyrotechnics.

When in the music industry, the name that came up time and again was Peter Green. And must admit he plays with real grace. The missus knows him well. he lives locallly

Grey... George Benson is always going to be asociated with the big hits (which i do like admittedly) but is a surperbly subtle and soulful player in his own right too

Last edited:
I'm not a Sinatra fan, Clivex, but each to their own. He was a lounge crooner, not a great singer. And I'd disagree with you about 'pyrotechnics' - if you can't infuse your music with some passion at times, then what's the point? I guess I was thinking more of rock when guitar was mentioned, but of course that wasn't actually stipulated. In that case, we should chuck Julian Bream (acoustic, classical) in and any other acoustical players we know of.

Last edited:
Pyrotechnics isnt about passion. Its about noise for the hell of it

Passion isnt about shouting from the rooftops. Was in Mozart who said that the most important sound is the pause ? Totally agree. the greatest music is often the simplest

the best quote i have heard on music is about mozarts clarinet concerto. A decpetively simple and very subtle piece wthin a small range of notes. For many the finest peice of music ever composed

"every amateur believes they can play it and every professional depairs of ever doing it justice"

The Beatles Shes leaving home is sung completely monotone abd deadpan. And yet remains as moving a piece as could be imagined (and never covered to any great effect).

Back