Who's your fav guitarist?

Two fave guitarists are John Squires (Roses) and John Fruscianti (Chilli Peppers)

Last edited:
Ice: it wasn't just your remark about Clappers at 54, there were other references to ageing guitarists and I felt it ought to be said that there was no reason why they should lose their skills because they're growing old. Lose the skills because of illness, complacency, or boredom, but not because of being pensioners!

I have a catholic taste in music, there were several top flight jazz musicans in the previous generation of my family, but have always been nuts on guitar music, Deep in the heart of Texas by Duane Eddy was the second record I ever bought, financed from earnings as a paper boy( aged 9). At boarding school got into the the Who,Yardbirds and John Mayall and from the age of 13 due to an incredible variety of coincidental connections got up to the West End clubs as often as I could sometimes pretending I was staying the weekend with my parents then off to Spurs and then going up West for the clubs and parties after. During the long holidays, partly due to Saturday morning school, I sometimes didn't get home at all at the weekend.
Ronnie Scotts, the Marquee, the 100 club, UFO, various incarnations of the Lotus Rooms at Forest Gate and a large number of big pubs were my stamping ground. Connections ranged from girlfriend's parents having a restaurant/nightclub in Wardour street, family intros into clubs that also had jazz, our ice cream man- Mr Rossi, a close neighbour who played the drums for the Small Faces, being a friend of the son of the man who a ran a large proportion of the bouncers in London.
Saw a lot of and was amazed by Hendrix did you know he was was apparently going to team up with the members of ELP, that would definitely been something to experience), Clapton at his peak was stunning but then so were many that went through the ever changing Yardbirds and Mayall blues to rock set-ups, Beck, Green and Page amongst them. Saw early Pink Floyd at Ally Pally and they were just as amazing as Hendrix and certainly decent, but different, guitarists there.
Followed the Who as much as I could and Townshend was one of my heroes.
I had tickets given to me to go to the '66' Jazz and Blues Festival at Windsor but that concided with two things. I was skint and it was World Cup Final Day. I went the next year and I'd imagine that there aren't many people over 40 who don't have at least one of their favourite guitarists amongst the list of those appearing in either 66 or 67.http://http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/1967-windsor-festival.html.
The Melody Maker comment might give Clive some more ammunition.

Santana was a totally different type of guitarist but none the less for that but was another that mellowed over time. Its not ageist thing but theer fingers/hands are simply not as flexible.
Surprised to see Alvin Lee not nominated so far but then as someone has mentioned it is about favourites not technical prowess.
Edit. See now he was.

Last edited:
Nobody's mentioned the winner yet: Brian May. Nobody I've heard can make the guitar talk like he can.

Have to say I don't get the 'Clapton's overrated' thing - he's a genius.

That clip of Free at the Isle of Wight Festival is quality. Off topic slightly, but Rodgers surely has to be a contender for best rock vocalist?

As for Brian May, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one!

Two RIPs: Jim Sherwood, musician with Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention, died Christmas Day, aged 69; Bob Weston, guitarist with Fleetwood Mac, died January 3, aged 64.

Hank Marvin was a brilliant guitarist
Eric Clapton was a brilliant Guitarist
Jimmy Hendrix was a brilliant Guitarist
Mark Knoffler was a brilliant Guitarist
Rory Gallagher was a brilliant guitarist
Carlos Santana was a brilliant guitarist

Lotswould say there are better ones that they dig out of some remote hole in the wall but these guys were the most poular I can remember.

One I never even heard of until a few years back being UK born and bred was Stevie Ray Vaughan which is a pity, as the guy was something else. Thank god for u tube.

Favourite was Rory Gallagher though. Seen him live in his prime in Edinburgh. I actually introduced a guy to Rory's music by buying him Live in Europe. He was into the Four Tops at the time but soon got hooked and now he heads one of the top RG tribute bands in Europe. My claim to fame :0)

Last edited:
Not my kind of music, Rory Gallagher, but, in student days, went to see him in Manchester with a guy who lived in our house. I'm ashamed to say I remember nothing of the concert, other than Ray having some sort of gadget in his coat to record it and everyone [except me] wearing check shirts. I only checked out his music recently and realised it was blues based, which is why it went over my head somewhat.

Oh come on Mo ya know you love it JOIN IN!!

drra ddra doonk! drra ddra doonk! Drra-ra dat dat drra ra da, drra ddra doonk! drra ddra doonk! Drra-ra dat dat drra ra da

What do you think of that?
I'm sleeping down at the laundromat,
If you should pass by,
Be sure to drop right in.

Well I don't have no clothes to clean,
To put inside the machine,
It was the craziest place,
I have ever been. (next to the betfair forum)

Blows yer mind doesn't it ...tell the truth :o)

Tanlic, I notice you've tagged your faves 'was'. Does this mean that the live ones you mention now aren't 'brilliant'?

Back