World Hurdle

trackside528

At the Start
Very hard not to be impressed with Kasbah Bliss today. Second can be used to crab the form, but Hills of Aran undoubtedly came right back to his best. On a collateral line through Duc De Regniere, there is very little between Kasbah Bliss and Punchestowns. Though the form line is admittedly tenuous at best, I'd be inclined to think that there is isn't all that much between them. Sets up a fascinating World Hurdle anyway!

That said, neither appeal to me at 7/4 and 7/2 respectively though.

Anybody have any strong opinions?

Fair play. I meant to ask you earlier but guessed you would following up. Knocked ver for the 18/1.

Hangover made my Christmas.....he did well for me today again. Thrown in although I was almost put off by Russell not being on board

Kasbah Bliss has long been the value in the Stayers Hurdle and looks even better this year. He will win the Stayers quite comfortably from the likes of Punchestowns and co.

Will Hangover win the World Hurdle then?

Agree with Gal really. Very slick jumper as well (he "inhales" his hurdles according to Nick Luck!), certainly relative to Punchestowns.

world hurdle

Kasbah Bliss performance today underlines just how good the previous staying champion hurdlers were he couldn't beat a past his best Inglis Drever last year and I very much doubt he would have troubled Barracouda or Iris's Gift either.

Kasbah Bliss performance today underlines just how good the previous staying champion hurdlers were he couldn't beat a past his best Inglis Drever last year and I very much doubt he would have troubled Barracouda or Iris's Gift either.

The horse has only just turned 7. Not many horses win a Stayers Hurdle aged 5 or 6 so he has every right to be improving (as his flat form suggests).

To be honest, after today i think Kasbah is the one of bets of the festival. I know the jock might not be the best in a finish, but i also think that if the horse is produced coming to the last, it will have too much toe for them up the hill. Stays and quickens in my book, and is one hell of a jumper of hurdlers, fast and quick, which i dont think can be said about Punchestowns.

quite like catch me in this

Catch Me is very much a dark horse that I like. However, he's more likely to run in the Champion than this and even more likely to miss both for Aintree. The trainer doesn't share your optimism for the World Hurdle unfortunately.

Yes KB was impressive. He is very versatile and quickens well. But I don't know what more the weekend told us than we already knew, other than he is still alive. Yes he'll likely win, but he's too sort now. Fortunately I don't have to back him again for a decent profit and have Punchestowns as a saver at 6s. I also like Punchestowns a lot, different style but potentially as good.

Interesting entry in "Simon's Blog" on the Cheltenham Racecourse website:

Simon Claisse, Cheltenham's Director of Racing and Clerk of the Course, shares his thoughts on the state of the ground and keeps you up to date with preparations for The Festival.
Tuesday 17th February - Start date minus 21 days. Three weeks until the start of The Festival and preparations are continuing apace. There was still 3 inches of snow at home on Monday morning, but that has more or less gone now - at the racecourse we are expecting a frost free, largely dry week, so we are cracking on with setting the rails and the hurdles up for the start of the action on March 10th. The going remains soft and the forecast beyond this week reverts to cooler weather with a somewhat unsettled outlook - and it is still too early to get into the business of trying to predict ground conditions for the start of The Festival. If the weather remains dry this week, we may be able to turn our attention to the grass areas in the car parks, which have been unrestored since racing on January 24th. Some temporary accomodation for stable staff arrives this week, which will increase our capacity to 150 (from 124), and plans are well advanced for catering for the huge number of stable staff, including the hire of a large mobile freezer unit for the week. On the racing front, it was a stunning weekend of action. I was up at Haydock on Saturday and spoke to Francois Doumen before Kasbah Bliss ran. He told me he hoped for quicker ground at The Festival and that we would see a better horse on March 12th - if that is the case, the rest of the Ladbrokes World Hurdle contenders have their work cut out!!

Interesting entry in "Simon's Blog" on the Cheltenham Racecourse website:

Simon Claisse, Cheltenham's Director of Racing and Clerk of the Course, shares his thoughts on the state of the ground and keeps you up to date with preparations for The Festival.
Tuesday 17th February - Start date minus 21 days. Three weeks until the start of The Festival and preparations are continuing apace. There was still 3 inches of snow at home on Monday morning, but that has more or less gone now - at the racecourse we are expecting a frost free, largely dry week, so we are cracking on with setting the rails and the hurdles up for the start of the action on March 10th. The going remains soft and the forecast beyond this week reverts to cooler weather with a somewhat unsettled outlook - and it is still too early to get into the business of trying to predict ground conditions for the start of The Festival. If the weather remains dry this week, we may be able to turn our attention to the grass areas in the car parks, which have been unrestored since racing on January 24th. Some temporary accomodation for stable staff arrives this week, which will increase our capacity to 150 (from 124), and plans are well advanced for catering for the huge number of stable staff, including the hire of a large mobile freezer unit for the week. On the racing front, it was a stunning weekend of action. I was up at Haydock on Saturday and spoke to Francois Doumen before Kasbah Bliss ran. He told me he hoped for quicker ground at The Festival and that we would see a better horse on March 12th - if that is the case, the rest of the Ladbrokes World Hurdle contenders have their work cut out!!

:) looking good for the favourite then Red!

What's all this about Mighty Man running?

They rarely win championship races after tendon injury. It could go again any time up to and including the race itself.

The PA report sounds more bullish though:

"Sam Thomas was delighted with Mighty Man when they were reunited ahead of the Ladbrokes World Hurdle at Cheltenham on Thursday week.
Last year's Gold Cup-winning rider schooled the Henry Daly-trained gelding on Tuesday morning, the first time he has sat on him since November 2005.
Thomas has been snapped up by Daly as Richard Johnson, the only other jockey to have ridden Mighty Man in a race, will be aboard Fair Along for Philip Hobbs at Cheltenham.
For Mighty Man, it will be a remarkable return to action in a race in which he had twice been placed before suffering a career-threatening tendon injury in April 2007.
"I schooled him this morning, he jumped nicely and I couldn't be happier," said Thomas.
"We went up three or four times nice and steady. It was nice to sit on him before the big race.
"I rode him some time ago but I'm just delighted to get the ride - it's just the job."

Back