Wright or Wrong on Attendances ?

Oh, heck! :o Sorry, Gamla, and I did promise it would remain our little secret...

I remember our absent friend (only absent, not dead!) BrianH mentioning having something like 42 telephone accounts when I asked how most people did their betting. :blink: I was only surprised in his case that it wasn't 42 telephones, all wired in to different time zones!

Beverley have reported attendance figures of 14,610 for a very ordinary run-of-the-mill afternoon card last Wednesday. This far exceeds the numbers they would normally expect, even for a weekend card. There was a similar pattern last year when the attendance for this meeting was 12,746. Attendance figures for the Thursday were back to normal at just over 3,000.

Does anyone know what attracts these bumper crowds to Beverley each year on the second Wednesday in August? Just curious!

Beverley have reported attendance figures of 14,610 for a very ordinary run-of-the-mill afternoon card last Wednesday. This far exceeds the numbers they would normally expect, even for a weekend card. There was a similar pattern last year when the attendance for this meeting was 12,746. Attendance figures for the Thursday were back to normal at just over 3,000.

Does anyone know what attracts these bumper crowds to Beverley each year on the second Wednesday in August? Just curious!

no school

They had designated it as Ladies Day and had a band playing afterwards.

Last June I was in Ayr for a wedding (no, not mine) and went to the Friday evening meeting of the Scottish Classic weekend, which also turned out to be Ladies Night. There was a big crowd there for what was in all honesty a nothing meeting. Most of them were under 30 and spent the whole time in the bars.

Thanks. I knew there had to be some attraction other than the racing.

I've never known a "Ladies" day where the normal attendance was quadrupled! Presumably most people went there to hear the band.

I was there for the ladies day last year and it was very uncomfortable trying to move around,so how they managed to fit another 2000 in there I really don't know.

Back