Yeats (and The Gold Cup)

Ardross

Senior Jockey
Yeats may well win a 4th Gold Cup this year if as usual Septimus stays in his box .

I feel that this rather diminishes his achievement - Sagaro beat every horse thrown at him in hi 3 Gold Cups and considering how Coolmore often don't hesitate to run more than one serious contender in a race , this does rather smack of realising that Septimus would probably have spoiled the party .

I take your point, but after Melbourne I doubt we will ever see Septimus at Ascot given the likely ground.

Did Timeform rate Septimus' Irish Leger higher than Yeats' Gold Cup and Goodwood Cup wins last year, or did his rating hold over from 2007 (Doncaster Cup?)?

Hmm. At two miles or less, I reckon Septimus would win. However, at Ascot, given good to firm or at least good ground, give me Yeats every time.

Galileo, you mentioned Septimus's (and indeed all of Ballydoyle's) bad experience at Melbourne last year. FWIW, I think Frozen Fire (stays 12f and has a turn of foot) is their shot at the MC this year. But, if he is successful in 10-12f G1s of course they won't send him.

Despite Yeats being my all time fav, I agree too! But as mentioned here it is not likely, or sensible to run Yeats and Septimus together as they need very different ground. So, unlikely anyway that you'd ever see them both at Ascot.

Ascot suits Yeats so much too. He can only beat what is there with him on the day.

Four Ascot Gold Cups will still be a record whichever way you look at it.

I too think over shorter Septimus would beat him, but Ascot trip on fast ground is Yeat's park and would be pretty sure he would beat him.

Septimus could be running this weekend.

Is there any horses which would keep Yeats price above evens for the Ascot Gold Cup?

129 for the Irish Leger, 128 in 2007. Yeats 126 in 2007, 128 in 2008

Yeats Gold Cup form on decent ground against Geordieland and Costal Path is far more solid (and better form) for me than Septimus beating trees (admitidly by a distance) in heavy ground.

Last edited:
Yeats Gold Cup form on decent ground against Geordieland and Costal Path is far more solid (and better form) for me than Septimus beating trees (admitidly by a distance) in heavy ground.

Would agree with that.

Saying that, I don't envy Timeform in having to come up with a rating for Septimus based on the likes of the Irish Leger.

The 2/1 looks like an early xmas present, no?

I can only imagine the likely opponents will be the same as last year.

Often Leger winners are considered for the Cup races but the Leger last year was a cracker with proper top class middle distance horses trying to win it . I can't see Conduit or Look Here going for the Gold Cup ! Unsung Heroine having been exported to Oz by Hamdan -

Last edited:
AIDEN O’BRIEN stable star Yeats has been sent to Willie Mullins and is set to miss the new flat season.
The 8-year-old, who has won 3 Ascot Gold Cups, was being prepared for another trip to Ascot later this season - a track where he has won three times in three starts.
A potential clash with Denman and Kauto Star on the cards but Mullins has confirmed his new star arrival will spend some time during the summer months training for a new jumps campaign.
"He won't run again this season on the flat that’s for sure as he has had a bang on a tendon whilst at Aiden’s, although it is ever so slight we will start with light cantering around August," said Mullins.
"As soon as you get a chance to work with such a superstar of a horse it’s any trainers dream and we thank Aiden for giving us the chance to do so. We are just going to be on the safe side with him."
Although the popular Yeats is getting on in years, Mullins can see no reason why his charge should not be able to take to fences next season - although no firm decision will be made on his targets for some time yet.
"The one thing about him is that he is very lucky to have a great owner and the first hint we get that the old horse is not enjoying himself, we will think about his future then," Mullins continued.
"The owner has appreciated everything the horse has done for him and the horse owes nobody in this world one thing.
"We'll look after him and if he comes back, he'll give it a good go next year again.
"It's disappointing to miss Ascot this year as he always runs well there, but we are sure this new venture in Yeats life will be a fun and exciting new adventure.

www.Setanta.com

Back