Yeats (and The Gold Cup)

Septimus will not be seen until the Autumn which is not that surprising I guess. Suggests they are pretty happy Yeats is still up to winning another Gold Cup.

Is that the Vintage Crop again same as last year? Irish-Racing not updated with the entries yet.

lets hope it will be the start to yet another magnificent season ! and we (well, you, I wont be gooing ) will be treated with an Overdose - Yeats Royal Ascot Double ! ;)

I had not thought of that - but you may be right. KInd of sad in a way. I wonder where they will take him after The Gold Cup - to France again?

Wish I could be at Navan Sunday, but husband and bank account say 'no, no, no'

If anyone is going and has a camera please take some piccies of him. :)

Ask is an interesting entry for the Gold Cup on his best form.

If this is Yeats last season then why not allow him to have a go at the triple crown - Ascot, Goodwood and Doncaster Cups - Septimus will be around for the Irish Leger .

I still feel it diminishes Yeats achievements that they didn't take him on with Septimus .

Ask is an interesting entry for the Gold Cup on his best form.

If this is Yeats last season then why not allow him to have a go at the triple crown - Ascot, Goodwood and Doncaster Cups - Septimus will be around for the Irish Leger .

I still feel it diminishes Yeats achievements that they didn't take him on with Septimus .

Perhaps, I can see why people would feel that.

Either way, in Reefscape and in particular Costal Path Yeats beat two horses that were considered quality and classy stayer and he did it with ease. I have little doubt he would beat Septimus in the Gold Cup at Ascot on fast ground.

Bannaby is the potential fly in the ointment - he's beaten Yeats in the past in France, is in good form this season and will likely sneak into the event "under the radar" so to speak with his prep runs being in Spain and France.

Yeats' Frech form in the autumn is a good 10lb+ below of what he's capable of in UK/IRE in summer. The proximity of the likes of Orion Star in Bannaby's form suggest to ome he isn't close to being good enough to win something like the Gold Cup.

why would or should it ?? because they want to send him to australia?

No, Yeats will not go to Oz, but Septimus may well go back.

I'd love to see Yeats do the Triple Crown, must be time someone did it again. But think they like the idea of him going to France.

Agree with Gal, think he is vulnerbale on soft ground at Navan, but not sure which one will beat him, if anyone.

No, Yeats will not go to Oz, but Septimus may well go back.

I'd love to see Yeats do the Triple Crown, must be time someone did it again. But think they like the idea of him going to France.

Agree with Gal, think he is vulnerbale on soft ground at Navan, but not sure which one will beat him, if anyone.

I have half a thought that they might send something like Soldier Of Fortune to Melbourne this year along with a lightly weighted three year old.

They'll never send Yeats back there.

Perhaps, I can see why people would feel that.

Either way, in Reefscape and in particular Costal Path Yeats beat two horses that were considered quality and classy stayer and he did it with ease. I have little doubt he would beat Septimus in the Gold Cup at Ascot on fast ground.

They weren't Buckskin class though !

Not sure about that in many ways Septimus's most impressive performance was his thrashing of Geordieland and others on good to firm in the Donny Cup - the only time he has run over a trip longer than 2 miles

They weren't Buckskin class though !

Not sure about that in many ways Septimus's most impressive performance was his thrashing of Geordieland and others on good to firm in the Donny Cup - the only time he has run over a trip longer than 2 miles

And he was done and injured for the season missing Melbourne that year.

Madness to run a horse like him on firm ground again after Melbourne this year. I know that is not the reason why he is not running against Yeats, but it is a valid reason nonetheless.

Talking of Sagaro in 1977 ... a top class field Buckskin, Citoyen and Bruni all G1 winners and Yorkshire Cup and Jockey Club Cup winner Bright Finish stuffed out of sight in fifth.

Yeats of course can only beat the horses that take him on.

Last edited:
And he was done and injured for the season missing Melbourne that year.

Madness to run a horse like him on firm ground again after Melbourne this year. I know that is not the reason why he is not running against Yeats, but it is a valid reason nonetheless.

Was the ground the reason Septimus was out ?

Back