Yeats (and The Gold Cup)

I wouldn't give up on him yet for Ascot as that ground was definitely far from ideal for him and at his age he could easily just not put it all in.

There was decent money for the Oxx horse beforehand, given that I imagine firms would take a little bit at 4/5 for Yeats.

Normally Galileos really like cut too, so not surprising it was him who won and Yeats not going that well in the ground. It does get harder to get an entire fit the older they get I think.

I thought he might well get beat but that was a shocking run even for a horse so evidently carrying plenty of condition. Hopefully , he will come on a bundle but there must be a possibility that he has had enough.

There are horses who you can't get fully fit at home and who need their first run or two - no rules against that.

aidan o´ briens quote in RP yesterday basicly warned us all beforehand, but still sad to see him trailing home like that - and I even could not see him getting beat beforehand. Admittingly he WAS very heavy beforehand, etc, but I did not like the way he galloped in the homestraight, nor that there was no fighting spirit at all. Not lost faith, etc, but this was very very tame

I hope it was simply Yeats at the age he is not putting it all in on that sort of ground when he is far from wound up. Fingers crossed....you'd think seeing as the likes of Septimus and co have not even been entered in the Gold Cup that Yeats was showing enough at home to be considered as good as ever.

i was told too lay yeats yesterday i did so theres definetly something in mind for him....

Except Gal - in AOB's stable tour today it seems that Septimus has been put away for the autumn as he didn't thrive following the racecourse gallop . It seems the Ballydoyle Charge of the Light Brigade in the Melbourne Cup may well have knocked him back .

Is New Zealand entered ?

Patkai (4) , Yeats (4) , Coastal Path (8) , Eastern Anthem (12) , Veracity (12) , Geordieland (14) , Schiaparelli (14) , Watar (14) , All The Good (16) , Askar Tau (16) , Bannaby (16) , Pointilliste (16) , Enroller (20) , Kasbah Bliss (22) , Centennial (25) , Fiulin (25) , Friston Forest (25) , Washington Irving (25) , Age of Reason (33) , Gravitation (40) - Others 40 or more

Patkai is the first horse I've seen in the three years that Yeats has run in the Gold Cup who I feel is a real threat to him winning again. I don't want yeats beaten, but it will make the contest a lot more interesting having the two of them in it.

I do wonder if they need different ground though Patkai won on pretty firm at the meeting too. Think yeats will have to be at absolute bullish best to beat him. But would not write this off - Aidan is going slower with him than before, and if he gets decent ground I think he will be back.

Think I will invest a bit in Yeats in the next few days. Ballydoyle horses are turned inside out after each run and its most likely that Yeats was probably the most undercooked of the lot of them given only one day counts. Throw in the heavy ground and surely 4/1 is tempting. Paktai is a useful stayer but nothing more...beat trees and pensioners at Ascot.

Last edited:
Back