New Zealand (IRE) 3.c
Patkai (IRE) 3.c
Savarain 3.c
Scintillo 3.c
Top Lock 3.c
Washington Irving (IRE) 3.c
William Hogarth 3.c
Zulu Chief (USA) 3.c

New Approach left in? Interesting. A race with DoM would be brilliant, regardless of the rest of the field.

Perhaps now is the time to back him for the Arc? 9/1 is a crazy price, as it's only marginally lower than Frozen Fire's current odds. I think he'd take all the beating at York, especially if the word soft appeared in the going description.

On good decent ground I would expect DOM to deal with him comfortably. Soft ground is another matter particularly at York.

Here we go again! :)

Seriously, if Bolger said he was properly fit, I don't think Duke of Marmalade can beat New Approach on anything but fast ground. The more I think of it, the more I believe New Approach may well be a horse of a generation ... swept all before him as a juvenile, winning the Dewhurst despite being pushed along after 2 furlongs. Despite being bred for 1m2-1m4, and his racing style confirming that thought, he ran this year's Champion Miler elect very close in 2 Guineas (much more so in the 2000, of course). He then won a Derby despite never settling, and finding all manner of difficulty in running to run out a cosy winner.

Without resorting to (too much!) hyperbole, I believe we may be looking at a potential great.

Discuss.

I really hope they clash as if DOM beats New Approach well (as I expect him to) then he will get the rating I think he is capable of hitting.

If the ground is very soft I would favour NA though. The track should suit both of them well. Bolger does not strike me as a trainer that will leave much to work on. If he turns up next Tuesday I do not think fitness will be much of an issue.

Last edited:
do you think na s price might be a reflection on his chance of turning up for the dance rather than his ability if he does

DUKE 4-7 FOR INTERNATIONAL

Duke Of Marmalade is as low as 4-7 for the Juddmonte International at York next week with Ladbrokes.
The 'Magic Sign' are much shorter about Aidan O'Brien's charge than rivals William Hill who offer 8-11.
Aidan O'Brien's charge is chasing a fifth group one win of the season and is currently the top-rated turf horse in the world with Timeform.
New Approach, who could run for the first time since winning the Epsom Derby, is next best at 5-1 with Hills although Ladbrokes offer Jim Bolger's charge at 6s.
David Williams of Ladbrokes said: "The fact that we're happy to lay 6-1 about the Derby winner simply goes to show how far in front we feel Duke Of Marmalade is.
"Punters will be looking to get off to a flier on the opening day at York with yet another Ballydoyle Group One winner."

that means NA is a non runner
Ladbrokes didn't leave New Approach in the Derby betting; the "Magic Sign ~ They Knew!" mentality has been massively overplayed in recent years. I bet half the compilers in Harrow wouldn't recognise Mike Dillon even if he did unexpectedly turn up in the office. :D

David Williams of Ladbrokes said: "The fact that we're happy to lay 6-1 about the Derby winner simply goes to show how far in front we feel Duke Of Marmalade is.
"Punters will be looking to get off to a flier on the opening day at York with yet another Ballydoyle Group One winner."

We`ll see, the Ballydoyle Group 1 express is the reason DoM is so much shorter than the Derby winner. Let`s not forget that good though he is DoM has not yet beaten anything of New Approach`s class.

We`ll see, the Ballydoyle Group 1 express is the reason DoM is so much shorter than the Derby winner. Let`s not forget that good though he is DoM has not yet beaten anything of New Approach`s class.

To play devil's advocate though Euro, beating Tartan Bearer is hardly anything to shout from the rafters about. Thus, the exact same could be said of New Approach. I realize I'm ignoring the disparity in their respective prices BTW.

I think we all know that NA is a lot better than the bare result of the Derby would suggest. At the back in an evenly run race he never really settled and used up lots of energy before his decisive kick in the straight.

Agreed, Euro. I was merely suggesting that the argument that one hasn't beaten a horse the same quality as the other applies to both.

I would also suggest that, given he is an idle type who doesn't tend to do much when he gets to the front, Duke of Marmalade is quite a bit better than some of his bare results would suggest.

I think we all know that NA is a lot better than the bare result of the Derby would suggest. At the back in an evenly run race he never really settled and used up lots of energy before his decisive kick in the straight.

I certainly don't "know" it. I accept it might turn out to be the case. But it was a problem of his own making and who's to say he won't do it again if attempts are made to hold him up?

I think we should put the Epsom episode behind us and give the man another chance.

Or people should grow up a little. By all means criticise someone for something they do if you believe it to be wrong in some way, but mindless vindictive comments are pretty unhelpful at the best of times.

I accept it might turn out to be the case. But it was a problem of his own making and who's to say he won't do it again if attempts are made to hold him up?

NA went from running in two Guineas to a Derby. The slower pace was against him. He`s back in trip if he runs in the International and that will help him settle.

Back