York Day 1

I wonder would they be tempted to take a chance on King of Rome or Zulu Chief picking up a group 1. You would imagine they probably aren't good enough to risk losing a fairly hefty prize over.

I would tend to think Zulu Chief will run in the Royal Whip at the weekend and be targeted at the Champion Stakes at Newmarket. I would fully expect him to stay in training next year as well.

I notice on RPR's Patkai has 10 lb to find with Alessandro Volta. Be interesting to see if they still have him with 10 lb to find on the day.

I wonder why it is that people don't realise how exceptional this horse has been to date.

New Approach is an admirably tough and high-class horse - game, genuine and consistent, as Timeform would say - and any Group One winner is "exceptional" compared to the average horse of his generation but there is, for example, a Derby winner every year and he's done nothing at this stage to show that he's "exceptional" as Derby winners go. It's a very dodgy business guessing by how far he might have won the Derby if he'd settled.

I hope he turns up on Tuesday. He clearly has a decent chance at York and also in the Arc if he runs but to suggest he's hugely underrated by the markets is stretching it.

He clearly has a decent chance at York and also in the Arc if he runs but to suggest he's hugely underrated by the markets is stretching it.

Not when you compare his price to the favourite who hasn`t even run against older horses or colts yet.

Forecast is awful for next few days at York. Tempted to take 25's about Multidimensional..... If it really pours down surely NA and DOM might swerve this? Lush Lashes too

I have taken some 25s but only to small stakes as he is not yet a confirmed runner.

I fancy that the ground will be very heavy (In fact, I wouldn't be that surprised if we lost a day or 2). When it gets like that at York, there is no point in fannying about and worrying about 2 or 3lbs here or there. The races will be won by horses that race prominently and can slog their way through the ground. The rest will be strung-out all over North Yorkshire. Multidimensional fits the profile and, imo, is good value e/w. The race has a nice e/w shape to it as it is and is likely to get even better as entrants (very possibly including some or all of the market principles) defect. I think there may only be a handful of runners in the end.

For what it's worth, I am in agreement with the official handicapper in that there is only a couple of pounds between Duke Of Marmalade and New Approach. With the latter likely to handle the ground better, I would be having my absolute b*llocks on him e/w at 6/1 if I knew he would run. As it is, I will wait until the 48 decs come out and take it from there.

I didn't think Multi was enjoying himself at Haydock and would say he won in spite of the ground rather than because of it.

I didn't think Multi was enjoying himself at Haydock and would say he won in spite of the ground rather than because of it.

Fair enough, but I didn't think that any horse actually enjoys heavy ground.

I've just watched the video again. He was hanging inside the last furlong, but he often does that. As far as I can see, he was handling the ground well.

Not when you compare his price to the favourite who hasn`t even run against older horses or colts yet.

New Approach similarly hasn't run against a single older horse yet nor has he taken on any fillies with the single exception of Pretty Ballerina who finished a distant last of five in last year's Futurity.

It's not an idle point about fillies either. I'd back both Look Here and Zarkava to beat him at 12f.

Fair enough, he's a decent price for these forthcoming races and we all like to talk up our ante-post bets but he's not yet demonstrated he's truly "exceptional" or the horse "of a generation."

New Approach not having raced against fillies yet is pertinent to his Arc claims in what way?

OK, ignore the point I made about him not having raced against older horses yet. It's a negative for Zarkava but presumably it isn't for New Approach.

With regard to New Approach not having raced against fillies, it's pertinent because fillies in a particular generation are sometimes capable of beating the colts. We won't know until they meet.

You brought it up, not me.

With regard to New Approach not having raced against fillies, it's pertinent because fillies in a particular generation are sometimes capable of beating the colts. We won't know until they meet.

You brought it up, not me.

But colts races are generally stronger. I`m probably underrating Zarkava but whenever I think of her Arc prospects Shawanda always pops into my mind and I laugh.

"Generally" being the operative word.

If you regard Shawanda and Zarkava as basically interchangeable with each other, that's fine by me.

Plenty of fillies have won the Arc, of course, although admittedly not in recent years. The Aga Khan even won it in the past with a three-year-old filly, Akiyda.

All sounds pretty positive….I think he will run.

YORK D-DAY LOOMS FOR APPROACH
By Ashley Iveson, PA Sport

Vodafone Derby hero New Approach came through his latest workout with flying colours - with a final decision on his participation in the Juddmonte International likely to be made on Saturday.
The son of Galileo has not run since his Epsom triumph after soreness related to a muscle injury ruled him out of a double bid in the Irish Derby.
He is reportedly back on song, however, with trainer Jim Bolger set to talk to his owners before deciding whether he runs at York next Tuesday.
"He has worked today and it went very well and he seems in great form," said the County Carlow handler.
"There is no decision on whether he will run at York yet.
"I will be speaking to John Ferguson (bloodstock advisor to Sheikh Mohammed) tomorrow and we will make a decision then."

Yeah, my bad. Actually, I'll blame the horrible Ladbrokes site design. Apparantly they haven't heard of "hyperlinks".

Vodafone Derby hero New Approach has been given the go-ahead to lock horns with Duke Of Marmalade in the Juddmonte International at York.
The Galileo colt has not been seen in racecourse action since his Epsom triumph after soreness related to a muscle injury ruled him out of a double bid in the Irish Derby.
However, following a successful workout on Friday, trainer Jim Bolger confirmed he will take his chance in the Group One contest on the Knavesmire next Tuesday.
"I have spoken to the owners and we have decided he will run," said Bolger.
"He worked well on Friday so he will go to York and I think the ground there will be fine for him."

I have taken some 5/1, but don't trust Bolger enough to go for the biggy just yet.

Ground has dried out to Good To Soft as well. Has the makings of a mouth watering build up to Tuesday!

Last edited:
OK so rather than complaining afterwards, how should Manning ride New Approach assuming Red Rock Canyon sets a decent pace?

Back