York Day 1

All the build up and then its off! Take all the Group 1s, find a course that has not been thumped with rain and run them there this weekend!

Prospects

Reading between the lines, I think they are very worried about tomorrow as well - the loss of Ebor day would be a huge blow financially for the course I would imagine.

Options ?

Add a third day to the Newmarket meeting this weekend - would make one of the best Sunday cards ever if the Juddmonte, Ebor, Great Voltigeur and Gymcrack were all on the same card.

Give York a chance to dry out - still got the fourth day to play with so if only today were lost, the main races could easily be added through the week - it worked for Cheltenham.

If today AND tomorrow were lost, there would be problems I think though I suppose extending the meeting to Saturday is a possibility. I was just thinking about running the Nunthorpe at Beverley on Saturday.....

If it has to stay in Yorkshire, how about Ripon next Monday ???

SOGGY YORK A WASH-OUT

Day one of York's totesport Ebor Festival has been abandoned due to a waterlogged track.
Wednesday's fixture is also in doubt, with officials having called a 4pm inspection for this afternoon.
Heavy overnight rain on the Knavesmire left today's meeting untenable after an 8.30am inspection was called early this morning.
This afternoon's six-race card was set to feature a mouthwatering duel between Duke Of Marmalade and New Approach in the Juddmonte International Stakes.

Clerk of the course William Derby accepted he was left with no option but to abandon.
He said: "We've abandoned racing for today following 11mm of overnight rain.
"There has also been continuing rain this morning, which started up again at around 8am.
"We will also hold an inspection at 4pm for racing for the rest of the week."
Derby is, however, investigating the possibility of rescheduling Tuesday's three Group races for later in the week.
"We are looking at the feasibility with the British Horseracing Authority and other parties at staging today's Group races later this week," he added.
"We will make an announcement on this issue later in the day."

What has infuriated many is the fact that Derby was so bullish about racing taking place when the rain has been so constant.

Bolger had pulled New Approach from the race before the inspection. Got to be doubts about the two of them turning up regardless - you're looking at only a two week gap to the Irish Champion.

Tony O'Hehir

NEW APPROACH had been ruled out of the Juddmonte International Stakes prior to the 8.30am inspection which resulted in the abandonment of the first day of the York Ebor meeting.

The Derby winner's trainer, Jim Bolger, took the decision around 6.30am after hearing from York that there had been 11mm of rain overnight and that an inspection had been called.

Bolger said: "I was told of the situation by William Derby, clerk of the course at York. New Approach was at the airport and we decided to bring him home.

"We will wait and see what happens about re-scheduling the race. If it is re-scheduled for the end of the week, and the weather improves significantly, wewill consider running him."

Aidan O'Brien said of Duke Of Marmalade: "He flew out early this morning and the plane had landed before the result of the inspection was announced. He will probably come straight home."

Wednesday, August 20th:
1:45 THE RSA AND MOTABILITY STAKES (CLASS 2 HANDICAP)
2:15 THE WEATHERBYS INSURANCE LONSDALE CUP (CLASS 1) (Group 2)
2:50 THE IRISH THOROUGHBRED MARKETING GIMCRACK STAKES (CLASS 1) (Group 2)
3:25 THE totesport EBOR (CLASS 2 HERITAGE HANDICAP)
4:05 THE TATTERSALLS MILLIONS ACOMB STAKES (CLASS 1) (Group 3)
4:40 THE JULIA GRAVES ROSES STAKES (CLASS 1) (Listed Race)
5:10 THE newitts.com E.B.F. FILLIES' STAKES (CLASS 2 HANDICAP)
Thursday, August 21st:
1:45 THE DBS £300000 ST LEGER YEARLING STAKES (CLASS 2) 2:15 THE JAGUAR CARS LOWTHER STAKES (CLASS 1) (Group 2)
2:50 THE LADBROKES GREAT VOLTIGEUR STAKES (CLASS 1) (Group 2)
3:25 THE DARLEY YORKSHIRE OAKS (CLASS 1) (Group 1)
4:05 THE ADDLESHAW GODDARD STAKES (CLASS 2 HERITAGE HANDICAP)
4:40 THE EUROPEAN BREEDERS' FUND GALTRES STAKES (CLASS 1) (Listed Race)
5:10 THE EVENTMASTERS STAKES (CLASS 2 HANDICAP)
Friday, August 22nd:
1:45 THE SKY BET STRENSALL STAKES (CLASS 1) (Group 3)
2:15 THE newitts.com CITY OF YORK STAKES (CLASS 1) (Listed Race)
2:50 THE JUDDMONTE INTERNATIONAL STAKES (CLASS 1) (Group 1)
3:25 THE COOLMORE NUNTHORPE STAKES (CLASS 1) (Group 1)
4:05 THE SKY BET MELROSE STAKES (CLASS 2 HERITAGE HANDICAP)
4:40 THE newitts.com CONVIVIAL MAIDEN STAKES (CLASS 2)
5:10 THE COLLINGWOOD TEAM SERVICE KNAVESMIRE STAKES (CLASS 2 HANDICAP)
</SPAN>

I hope neither run, as it could severely hinder both's future races, and will prove nothing.

I'd like to see them clash instead in the Irish Champion.

2 from Jim Bolger's are entered, 35 from Coolmore.
That's from the Leopardstown track's presently listed entries -- no idea when it was last updated, or is next due to be.

Make that 11 Coolmore via RP.

Last edited:
As I posted on the other York thread, at 0730 I could find no word of an inspection, just, as Arkwright says, an article quoting Derby as saying that the meeting was in no doubt.

Clerks of the courses should be made accountable - many horses must have been en-route to the track by the time news of the late inspection and subsequent abandonment came through. Why do they constantly get away with spinning bullshite all the time?

Superb achievement from the clerk of a course there - "the meeting is not in doubt" just hours before two days of racing in a row has to be abandoned without so much as a horse setting foot on the track.

Back