York Races

I've always liked the jumps but I went through my betting history once and found I was more profitable on the flat.

There's a reason for that. All else being equal there is a greater incidence of the unexpected hazard over the jumps (falls, unseatings etc) than there is on the flat (interference etc ). Adds up over time. It's more fun over the jumps though and your old friends last longer.

Jump racing's a spectacle and,as such, best watched.
Flat racing is - by definition - less of a gamble.
You pays your money, and you takes your choice. :D

Since 2014 when I left the railway and realised I needed to knuckle down on the betting my ROI has been around 2 percentage points bigger on the jumps. I put this down to name recognition and York only having flat racing thank God.

I much prefer the jumps and tend to do very well at the big festival meetings and in the better Saturday races but I'm definitely much more consistent on the Flat, especially in the first half of the season.

I reckon by the time we get into August few horses have much to hide from the handicapper and it tends to end up more down to luck in running and/or jockeyship than form. That's when I tend to gravitate towards lightly-raced 3yos taking on their elders in handicaps.

August usually very tough for me. in fact apart from Goodwood I do bad post July meeting until around Ayr Gold Cup day. Stakes will be dropped this year, might just look for place lays even. Especially at the Ebor meeting

Back